Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 907805 times)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3600 on: February 15, 2018, 04:13:52 AM »
Altered Carbon (Netflix Original) -- I had high expectations based on the book, and mostly this series doesn't disappoint.  The only complaint really is that I feel they overdid some of the gratuitous sex/nudity scenes.  But it is well acted, written, and the cinematography and sets are outstanding.  If you are a cyberpunk (Blade Runner, Strange Days, Matrix, etc) fan at all, then it is definitely worth a look.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3601 on: February 15, 2018, 07:35:57 PM »
Altered Carbon (Netflix Original) -- I had high expectations based on the book, and mostly this series doesn't disappoint.  The only complaint really is that I feel they overdid some of the gratuitous sex/nudity scenes.  But it is well acted, written, and the cinematography and sets are outstanding.  If you are a cyberpunk (Blade Runner, Strange Days, Matrix, etc) fan at all, then it is definitely worth a look.

I see you referenced Blade Runner in your synopsis there. I remember skimming an article a couple weeks ago and the author was going over new shows. He said that the show was a big rip-off of Blade Runner. So this isn't entirely accurate then? I'm intrigued for sure and I'm going to check it out regardless. Just wondering about your thoughts on this point...
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3602 on: February 15, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
I see you referenced Blade Runner in your synopsis there. I remember skimming an article a couple weeks ago and the author was going over new shows. He said that the show was a big rip-off of Blade Runner. So this isn't entirely accurate then? I'm intrigued for sure and I'm going to check it out regardless. Just wondering about your thoughts on this point...

Nah, it is based on Richard Morgan's book.  It is in the same genre as blade runner, and it has a male protagonist.  The similarities pretty much end there.  Plenty of folks see all of cyber punk as a rip off of blade runner because that is their only other foray into the genre.  Kinda like there are folks that see all of the fantasy genre as a LoTR rip off.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3603 on: February 15, 2018, 09:34:01 PM »
Ohhhh, Gotcha. Makes sense. Thanks for the responding
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3604 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:54 AM »
Son of Kong 3/6

Piedone in Egypt 3/6

Oh well , can't win 'em all

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3605 on: March 08, 2018, 10:46:53 PM »
Dawson City Frozen Time... for old film, history, adventure and lore buffs

EXCELLENT and incredibly well done.  Soundtrack amazing as well.  Jeff you will appreciate this one.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3606 on: March 14, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
Never watched Justified when it was on, now it is my before bed nightly watch, just finished season 3.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3607 on: March 15, 2018, 09:52:00 PM »
Never watched Justified when it was on, now it is my before bed nightly watch, just finished season 3.

Great show. Although it was basically the same character Olyphant played in Deadwood a few years earlier. Still, it’s hard to get sick of Bullock... errr... Givens... tough talking someone through his clenched teeth!   ;D

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3608 on: April 22, 2018, 10:08:40 PM »
Justice League and Dunkirk on 4k.

Both are awesome visually.

Dunkirk is even better the second time. Great film.

Justice League is better than its reviews for sure but Batman is shit.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3609 on: April 27, 2018, 07:42:29 PM »
Royal Rumble from Saudi Arabia , of all places :

Taker vs Rusev , run of the mill match though it's cool to see Taker.......wish they could've had scorpions in that casket which would make sense as Taker is from Death Valley
Lesnar vs Roman , kinda cool

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3610 on: May 04, 2018, 09:39:42 AM »
Cobra Kai , half way in. The acting is a little stiff, but its enjoyable so far. 

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3611 on: June 11, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »
Did anyone see Hereditary this weekend?

JAAAAAYYSUS that was a disturbing and chillingly effective film.  And I love how the trailer tells you absolutely NOTHING about what you are about to see.

If you have any interest in the horror genre, see it!!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3612 on: June 11, 2018, 11:47:05 PM »
I did see Hereditary this past weekend and absolutely loved it.  I highly recommend it to anyone who likes intelligent horror.  It's definitely one of the best "adult horror" of the past few years (I would include It Follows, Get Out, Don't Breathe, and The Witch in that same category). 

The acting is excellent, particularly Toni Colette who goes all out in this: she deserves an Oscar for her incredible performance.  The story plays out like a particularly extreme family dysfunction drama about grief, with the added layer of supernatural forces exacerbating what is an already messed-up dynamic between the various characters.  I don't want to go into too much details plot wise, as I feel that this is the kind of movie that works best when approached without any idea of what it is about. 

It is as much a mystery as it is a horror piece.  I found myself trying to understand what the hell was going on for most of the film, and fortunately I felt that the explanation at the end is fairly satisfying, which isn't always the case with these types of movies (hello M. Night Shyamalan!).  This is a very impressive directorial debut, where all the pieces of the puzzle are methodically put together.  I'm actually curious to watch it again at some point, as I feel that there are a lot of subtle hints throughout the film that can be picked up on second viewing.

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #3613 on: June 12, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »
I agree with every well written word you said! I am seeing it again this weekend:)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3614 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:52 AM »
Thanks! 

I'm curious to heard what you think after you watch it again.  I have a feeling that the movie holds up really well upon a second viewing.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3615 on: June 17, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »
Three Billboards in 4k.

This is the shit I love.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3616 on: July 11, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »
Just watched Almodovar's Julieta from 2016.  Some great, strong female leads in this movie, and I thought the story worked well.  Thank goodness for Netflix DVD mailing service to my small town.  It's becoming a bit old fashioned getting DVDs through the mail, I guess, though I sure still like the service.  Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3617 on: July 28, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »
pretty cool netflix movie     

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3618 on: July 28, 2018, 11:21:38 PM »
pretty cool netflix movie     

Thanks for the recommendation, Crazy Vick.  The reviews I saw made it hard to tell if it was worth giving it a try.  I'm diving in!  Okie

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3619 on: July 29, 2018, 08:43:42 PM »
okie remember though I'm pretty easy...veeery easy

Really though I'd take an "ok" sci-fi flick than just about any show on cable tv. 

I like the way this movie unraveled in particular. Good story etc.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3620 on: July 29, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »
okie remember though I'm pretty easy...veeery easy

Really though I'd take an "ok" sci-fi flick than just about any show on cable tv. 

I like the way this movie unraveled in particular. Good story etc.

I liked it enough, Crazy Vick.  A couple of fine twists and a bit of clever writing here and there.  Thanks for the recommendation!  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #3621 on: August 06, 2018, 01:21:21 AM »
For Chris (CSM), Watched Set It Up, a Netflix original romcom, with my wife.  It was pretty funny. Good cast with Lucy Liu, Taye Diggs, Zoey Deutch, and Glen Powell.  I really liked the line about the Prius.   Okie

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3622 on: August 30, 2018, 07:22:34 PM »
Just finished Breaking Bad. It was great. Now on to Better Call Saul.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3623 on: September 03, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »
Just finished Breaking Bad. It was great. Now on to Better Call Saul.

I think I am now officially the only person who has not watched Breaking Bad all the way thru.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3624 on: September 03, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
I watched Becing Cary Grant and I found it wanting.  There was some good stuff but overall I thought it was depressing and instead of celebrating a GREAT talent it was just negative.