Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 915475 times)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3575 on: October 04, 2017, 12:52:15 AM »
Just finished watching Dracula's Daughter (1936), with Gloria Holden as Countess Zeleska and Edward Van Sloan, returning as Dr Von Helsing.

It's been years since I last saw this and the flicker didnt disappoint.  clap clap clap

The B/W photography, sets and casting all work incredibly well together.

Agree - just watched it again last week. Loved the B&W cinematography...and Yummm, Marguerite Churchill. The new remaster in the Complete Dracula Legacy Collection is superb - all six original films plus extras.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 12:58:47 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3576 on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
TCM is doing their annual horror run this month...

Last night was Karloff, Edward Van Sloan, Zita Johann and David Manners in The Mummy (1932)  cool1  notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3577 on: October 04, 2017, 09:50:24 PM »
Jeff, I love Dracula's Daughter too, despite its flaws.  It's so atmospheric, and Gloria Holden's performance in the lead is truly inspired. 

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3578 on: October 05, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »
The European premiere of Breathe, a very moving true life story of a polio sufferer who pioneered changes in how patients lifestyles could be better managed. This was incredibly emotional for me because my first client had been paralysed from the neck down from polio but had the most incredible determination and willpower. He was given six months to live but survived another 40 years. There were so many similarities.

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3579 on: October 31, 2017, 10:17:48 PM »
Currently watching......

The Haunting (1963)

Directed by Robert Wise

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3580 on: November 11, 2017, 10:13:10 PM »
Seeing as films like this never make it out here to the sticks, I just caught this on the small screen.
Don't miss it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sw7BggqBpTk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Sw7BggqBpTk</a>

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3581 on: December 02, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
Caught this on the local LA, PBS channel last night, totally by chance.

It's a 2014 documentary about the life and films of Orson Welles, called Magician  The Astonishing Life & Work of Orson Welles

It was excellent, beginning with his childhood, multiple snippets of interviews he gave over the decades, as well as clips from both his finished and many unfinished films. I'd highly recommend it to any Welles fan.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3582 on: December 08, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
Watched this last night was pretty good, good job on some of the characters who normally don't play those roles (as far as i've seen them) notably Adam Driver (aka Kylo Ren) and Daniel Craig (aka James Bond)

Also the VHS Massacre which I highly recommend if you haven't seen it a number of you will enjoy (T, Jeff, Mike, Chris, Jason, Ted, Rich, Sean, etc., I'm lookin' at you.  For my int'l friends was there ever a VHS vs Beta battle?) 

Tonight i'm minded to get through the below.  I've had a few beers already so hopefully I can get to the end.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3583 on: December 09, 2017, 12:22:17 AM »
Just saw Thor: Ragnarok at the theater.
Well done and funnier than I expected it to be.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3584 on: December 14, 2017, 06:31:50 PM »
Screeners are starting to come in.  Lots of old stuff I've had for ages. 

Can't wait for something new.

PS: Saw Downsizing last night... Unwatchable.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3585 on: December 14, 2017, 10:54:13 PM »
I thought T you store films on hard disk, so wondering why you bother keeping these physical media?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3586 on: December 14, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
Yeah, they all end up on the Plex, like you see on the TV screen.  Except for Blade Runner and Shape of Water, all the others were uploaded months ago.  Unfortunately, the discs are all marked to us, so I end up trashing them because I cannot loan them.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3587 on: December 14, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
My wife has been a huge fan of Game of Thrones for years, but I never watched it.  I finally decided last week to give it a go and I'm already half way thru season 2.

I missed a great show, but it's so much fun to binge watch it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3588 on: December 15, 2017, 08:42:49 AM »
My wife has been a huge fan of Game of Thrones for years, but I never watched it.  I finally decided last week to give it a go and I'm already half way thru season 2.

I missed a great show, but it's so much fun to binge watch it.

T

Enjoy!  As soon as you finish it you'll probably need to re-watch it again.  There is so much packed into every single scene that it boggles the mind.  I watched the series one time through, kind of in the background while doing work on my computer at nights.  I then watched it again and quickly realized how much I was missing by only partially paying attention.  After convincing my wife to watch the show, I saw it a 3rd time (!) and was still noticing stuff I missed!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3589 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
Same here re: GoT.  I watched the first 3 seasons somewhat casually when they first aired on HBO, then decided to read all the books that have been published so far (which are fantastic in their own right and totally worth the time and effort), before re-watching Season 1 through 3 and then watching every single season twice (first on a weekly basis as they aired and then binge-watching each entire season once they were available streaming) all the way until the very last one.  This show is hands down one of the best things ever made for TV.  The writing is excellent, the acting is superb, and the production values (art direction, costumes, sets, special effects, etc...) are all top notch.  Can't wait for the very last season.

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3590 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:53 AM »
GoT is great---enjoy!

I finished Hateful Eight the other night.  IMO, the worst of Tarantino's flicks.  Just boring and didn't see the point of any of it.  Glad I never splurged for the poster.
-Brian

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #3591 on: December 21, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
I just watched The Shape of Water.  Very pretty to look at (as always with Guillermo del Toro, the art direction is impeccable), but the story is completely predicable and every single character is reduced to an archetype.  I get that the director is trying to go for a timeless fairy tale vibe, but the movie isn't original enough to be convincing.  I kept expecting a twist that would make the stereotypical plot more original, but it never came. 

This film confirms my impression that Guillermo del Toro is rather overrated.  All his movies are visually very well-done, but story-wise are full of cliches, and the characterization lacks any depth or complexity.  The quintessential triumph of style over substance.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #3592 on: December 21, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
The stage production of Network - based on the 1976 movie - with Bryan Cranston.
https://www.thestage.co.uk/opinion/2017/network-starring-bryan-cranston-at-the-national-theatre-review-round-up/

Mark

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3593 on: January 01, 2018, 12:34:48 AM »
Same here re: GoT.  I watched the first 3 seasons somewhat casually when they first aired on HBO, then decided to read all the books that have been published so far (which are fantastic in their own right and totally worth the time and effort), before re-watching Season 1 through 3 and then watching every single season twice (first on a weekly basis as they aired and then binge-watching each entire season once they were available streaming) all the way until the very last one.  This show is hands down one of the best things ever made for TV.  The writing is excellent, the acting is superb, and the production values (art direction, costumes, sets, special effects, etc...) are all top notch.  Can't wait for the very last season.

Its beyond awesome.

Favorite show ever.

Well done in every way big and small.

Its going to be a long fucking wait til the final season.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3594 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
Dark Knight in 4k.

What a great movie.

Great story ,great visuals, great acting, great characters.

Just an amazing film on EVERY level.

Loving 4k as a way to revisit ....

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3595 on: January 07, 2018, 09:09:07 PM »
King Arthur: Legend of the sword.

Silly? Yes.

Entertaining? FUCK YES!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3596 on: January 11, 2018, 10:52:16 PM »
The Prestige.

So well crafted.

That man knows what he does.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3597 on: January 28, 2018, 06:51:06 PM »
Memento.

Yes!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3598 on: February 10, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
Was channel surfing late last night and just happened to flip onto the local PBS station just as Casablanca (1942) was starting. I dont think I'd ever seen it from literal start to finish, so it was a viewing treat sensation. The entire cast is outstanding (as everyone here already knows), and Ingrid Bergman looks beautiful and was lit and shot to perfection. A great film, all the way around!  thumbsup.gif

Plus, this adds even more meaning now to the Bonhams pre-auction display held here at their Sunset Blvd location a few years ago, when, in conjunction with TCM, they held an auction (that was then held in NYC) which featured many pieces from the film, including Sam's piano, set pieces, folding screens, the letters of transit, contracts and the front doors from Rick's Cafe Americain.

I drove there, wandered and took pics for several hours, as they were also auctioning many film posters, a good number of which were from the Robert Osborn Collection.

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3599 on: February 11, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
Hostiles

I don't go to the movies much, but when I do, I prefer the movies that are noticeably better on the big screen.

Christian Bale is solid throughout. And though you won't mistake it for Dancing With Wolves, it's still worth watching. I feel like I got my money's worth.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...