Author Topic: What did you just watch?  (Read 907993 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: What did you just watch?
« Reply #3500 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:33 AM »
Last night, I happened to catch the 1933, pre-code flick, Female, with Ruth Chatterton and George Brent on TCM. Directed by Michael Curtiz. These pre codes are great in how they pushed the envelope on everything from drinking to affairs, sex, and in this case, a female head of an auto making company, that uses her power to seduce male workers into one night stands with her (until George Brent helps her to see the light).

I liked it.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3501 on: January 16, 2017, 09:35:08 PM »
just watched the season finale of Westworld (season 1) amazing ending, with the speech and radiohead exit music.... wow.  Can't wait for season 2.  Watched the original film (1973) a few weeks ago, which was ok. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3502 on: January 16, 2017, 10:22:40 PM »
Sat night.. Cleopatra (1934), the CB DeMille/Paramount epic with Claudette Colbert. i was SO looking forward to this, having never seen it before, and many of the posters are truly stunning. This flicker was a true yawn (for me). And at times, laughable, scene-wise. Not sure what CB was going for, but it failed in many ways, for me. That was a bummer.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #3503 on: January 22, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
I did just re-watch Guardians of the Galaxy last night, first time since theaters.
Didn't care that much for it at first, but was impressed watching it last night.
Lot of fun.

Watched it every time I caught it flipping channels.

Well done it was.

Awesome soundtrack.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #3504 on: January 23, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
One of the best in years, liked it first time, and every time I see it ...watched it again last Saturday.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline FFFMoviePosters

• Beginner
    • FFF Movie Posters
« Reply #3505 on: January 23, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Inferno w/Tom Hanks and Fecility Jones. Quite the mess.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #3506 on: January 24, 2017, 07:49:54 PM »
I gotta weigh in on Bone Tomahawk. Funny enough, I was talking with my father and he said "let me tell you what not to watch Bone..." and I finished "Tomahawk!" I said "But, Kurt Russell?!"  We are both big John Carpenter/Kurt Russell fans and have a tolerance for violent films.  He told me my mother walked out of the room and he watched the rest by himself.  He also said "Don't even have your daughters on the same planet" when I watch it.  I had already got it through Netflix, so I had to watch it.  Bone Tomahawk was a slow burn and I cannot say that I will watch it again.  I wouldn't say that I did not like it, but it is not for everyone. 
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline peckinpah

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3507 on: February 09, 2017, 01:59:04 PM »
Been on a Peck kick lately... finally got around to Convoy last night. 

It was flawed at best.  Admittedly my expectations were not high given that it was based on a song!

And while I typically don't bother with the special materials, I was watching with a friend who normally does so we popped in the making of documentary.  It was actually pretty fascinating -- most making-of docos are just love fests that do nothing but praise the film and participants.  It's rare to watch one for such a troubled production where the actors and producer spend most of their time lamenting over what went wrong!  It went into great detail on production problems, (lack of a) script problems, funding problems, Peck's (lack of) direction, deteriorating relationships with the cast and crew, Peck's substance abuse, and his ultimate firing.  Turns out the original cut Peckinpah came back with was 4+ hours!  The producer had had enough at that point and fired him.  They hired some hack to put together the final 1 hour and 50 min cut so what I watched wasn't even really a "Peckinpah" film.  Crazy stuff. 

I vaguely recalled our very own APF member "peckinpah" posting a photo of a fan-made replica of the truck from Germany.  Well, I dug up the post (below) only to find out he was the one who made the Convoy documentary!  Despite the critical nature of the documentary (out of necessity -- the movie deserved it!) you can tell it was put together by someone with great admiration for the man and his legacy.  Well done Mike!!! 

From this thread where someone was searching for a Hungarian version of the poster:

Oh thanks Matt!  I was away for two or three years from this forum I'm afraid. Busy doing Peckinpah-documentaries and other things :). Glad you like the film. CONVOY is not an important film in the Peckinpah universe, but I was / am glad that I had become friends with the three leading actors, good base for a more detailed documentary :).

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3508 on: February 10, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »
Had the extreme misfortune of sitting through the 2016 Ghostbusters.
Absolutely pitiful.
Worst film I've seen in many, many years.

Then I watched a Woody Allen film (which I normally don't do) -- Irrational Man.
I missed the opening credits (on STARZ, I believe), so I wasn't sure what I was watching.
Really liked it.
I wish Allen would make more films like this.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3509 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »
I have to be in the right mood for Woody's films, mostly due to the often nervous, awkward, human disconnect among his characters, but I found Café Society was really enjoyable. Set in the 30s, it's about life decisions and the resulting consequences.

Also a real surprise was Sing Street, an uplifting coming of age story set in the 80s. A teen dealing with a dysfunctional family starts his own band to get the girl - overlaid with some very good original music. Feel-good movie for a rainy day. 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3510 on: February 10, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Also a real surprise was Sing Street, an uplifting coming of age story set in the 80s. A teen dealing with a dysfunctional family starts his own band to get the girl - overlaid with some very good original music. Feel-good movie for a rainy day.

I loved Sing Street too, one of my favourites of the year. I really liked the relationship between the main character and his older brother. I'd recommend 'Once' and 'Begin Again' by the same director, both also well written and centered around music and relationships.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3511 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:04 PM »
I loved Sing Street too, one of my favourites of the year. I really liked the relationship between the main character and his older brother. I'd recommend 'Once' and 'Begin Again' by the same director, both also well written and centered around music and relationships.

Absolutely - the older brother was his lifeline, and ultimately makes it a redemption tale as well. I'll definitely look for 'Once' and 'Begin Again'.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:56:51 PM by Dr Bill »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3512 on: February 10, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
John Wick 2 (2017).  Excellent.  Highly recommended, especially if you like the first one.

Oscar-Nominated Live Action Short Films (2016).  All are non-American films, and are interesting.  My favorite is La Femme et le TGV aka The Railroad Lady.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3513 on: February 11, 2017, 01:22:27 AM »
Which reminded me of Railway Man, with Colin Firth and (ahem) Nicole Kidman. A tense drama about a former British POW who reunites years later with his Japanese torturer.

If you think you know wine, see the documentary Somm - "Four sommeliers embark on an all-consuming course of study for the prestigious (and nearly impossible to pass) Master Sommelier exam." You only think you know wine...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 01:23:30 AM by Dr Bill »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3514 on: February 11, 2017, 01:32:08 AM »
Which reminded me of Railway Man, with Colin Firth and (ahem) Nicole Kidman. A tense drama about a former British POW who reunites years later with his Japanese torturer.

If you think you know wine, see the documentary Somm - "Four sommeliers embark on an all-consuming course of study for the prestigious (and nearly impossible to pass) Master Sommelier exam." You only think you know wine...

This sounds tasty and interesting, Dr Bill. Thanks for the recommendation.  cheers

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3515 on: February 11, 2017, 01:40:50 AM »
This sounds tasty and interesting, Dr Bill. Thanks for the recommendation.  cheers

Forgot to include, it's on Netflix.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3516 on: February 11, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »
Forgot to include, it's on Netflix.

I'll drink to that!  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3517 on: February 11, 2017, 01:53:16 AM »
burp...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3518 on: February 11, 2017, 02:40:32 AM »

Railway Man sounds quite intense.

Somm is very good, as well as the follow up, Somm: Into the Bottle.  Inspiring how enthusiastic many of those guys are about wine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 03:18:58 AM by Neo »

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3519 on: February 12, 2017, 10:44:31 PM »
I watched Somm: Into the Bottle last night - thanks for the suggestion. I'm enjoying a nice bottle of beaujolais tonight, thanks to the show. I'm usually a cab/shiraz/zin drinker, but this really hits the spot. Very, very nice.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3520 on: February 13, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
I rewatched Tornatore's Legend of 1900 over the weekend. I had forgotten the beautiful camera shots, just a delight to see. An interesting fable of a story, the nearly three hours seemed like two, Melanie Thierry is simply angelic, and the music is outstanding. Any fan of Cinema Paradiso should have a look.

My new find is Paolo Sorrentino's The Great Beauty. This at times Felliniesque tapestry of sound and color finds the lead character taking stock of his life, friends and work on his 65th birthday. The film is the best kind of eye-candy - no CGI, just a feast of color and light filmed by a true artist. Just wow.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3521 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
The Great Beauty sounds like quite the ticket.  Nice description, and thanks for the rec, Dr. Bill.  It won the 2013  Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dyt430YkQn0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Dyt430YkQn0</a>

Oscar-Nominated Animated Short Films (2016).  Excellent.  It's difficult to pick a favorite, but I'd say Pear Cider and Cigarettes.

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3522 on: February 13, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
The reviews by the average Joe were really contentious. Many didn't like it because it "didn't have a story". The Michael Bay crowd. It's a film of the senses, and at times a satirical view of Italy's "beautiful people". It is really just a great beauty to experience. At least I thought so, again and again. The Criterion BR is absolutely gorgeous.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #3523 on: February 14, 2017, 07:15:39 PM »
I watched Don't Breathe over the weekend. Did not do much for me. I feel like it fell flat on character development.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #3524 on: February 17, 2017, 07:47:44 PM »
A Street Cat Named Bob
"Based on the international best selling book. The true feel good story of how James Bowen, a busker and recovering drug addict, had his life transformed when he met a stray ginger cat."

The actual cat the film was about played him self in the film. Not much story but it kept the interest going throughout, and I don't like cats. I was the only one in the cinema, and had luxury seating. I don't really like movies much but it was a heatwave outside and I needed to cool down.