Author Topic: Reservoir Dogs DS UK quad vs UK quad VHS give away  (Read 6078 times)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Reservoir Dogs DS UK quad vs UK quad VHS give away
« on: December 15, 2010, 08:49:40 AM »
I recently purchased a rolled double sided Reservoir Dogs. I then remembered this thread, in which a rolled double sided VHS release give away of the same poster was mentioned. http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,1279.0.html

I was interested to find out how they were different or even if they were different at all.
Thanks largely to Paul , both for the idea and pics of his copy, I can post a comparison of the two.

First my copy...

Then his...

It might be a little hard to tell but the shadows are different.
As an example, you can see that in my copy, Mr. White's shadow does not enter the Polygram box where it does in the give away.

Further comparing them, you can note that in my copy you can see the entirety of Mr. Blue's left foot where it is cropped in the give away.

Finally, looking at the reverse side, you can see a big difference in the color. My copy has the title and raves in blue where they are black in the give away.

The posters both measure the full 30x40 but they are clearly different. Thanks again Paul.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Reservoir Dogs DS UK quad vs UK quad VHS give away
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:27:20 AM »
Nice job documenting those differences, Z.   thumbup

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
Welcome any time Zorba, I hope it helps someone avoid paying a premium price for a give away poster.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »
My version has the NSS text on the bottom left hand corner which neither of these seem to have. I know mine is original because I got it from the cinema I worked at when it came out. It was also when the film first played because I remember nobody was that interested in the film at first so nobody wanted the poster.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:13:17 AM »
My version has the NSS text on the bottom left hand corner which neither of these seem to have. I know mine is original because I got it from the cinema I worked at when it came out. It was also when the film first played because I remember nobody was that interested in the film at first so nobody wanted the poster.

That does thicken the plot a bit as I just put the emovie beta database to work and he has sold six of these from 01-10 that have a pic and none have the nss number.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/search/reservoir%20dogs%20quad/archive.html

Clearly yours is legit so that brings up the question...Was there a second version without the nss or is it a very well bootlegged poster?

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
After further review I think I might have the answer to my question and its not A or B but it is C.

I hate linking to that other forum but I found a thread about this poster and it seems there was a mid 90's rerelease of the movie and that it probably was released with the identical poster without the nss info.

That answer would tidy it all up.

http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php?/topic/5426-reservoir-dogs-quad/page__p__526651__hl__%2Breservoir+%2Bdogs+%2Bquad__fromsearch__1#entry526651

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:54 PM »
I'm really, really not sure about that MPF info. 

I purchased my DS copy at the time of the original release and it does not have the NSS blurb.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »
I'm really, really not sure about that MPF info. 

I purchased my DS copy at the time of the original release and it does not have the NSS blurb.

Thanks for the input Archie. The more info the better. I am not sure of anything Im just trying to tie this up in a neat bow and it just isnt working out for me.

I have now looked at a couple of reputable dealers, besides the one in that mpf thread and the one I mentioned earlier, and they also have the non nss info version listed as an original release. I guess it would make sense that since this movie came out during the transition from the nss that there would be two versions. Sans the nss, they do appear completely identical.   :-\

Posters. Gotta love em.  ;D

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
I haven`t read the MPF info but i do remember,that Res Dogs was a limited release originally,the posters at that time may have featured the NSS blurb,when the movie got the proper recognition it deserved,it was quickly re-released,and new posters where issued,probably not including the NSS tag...

I recently sold an Original Res Dogs poster that had no NSS tag,but as i snagged it from the Cinema i worked in at the time,i can absolutely say that it was authentic.

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
I haven`t read the MPF info but i do remember,that Res Dogs was a limited release originally,the posters at that time may have featured the NSS blurb,when the movie got the proper recognition it deserved,it was quickly re-released,and new posters where issued,probably not including the NSS tag...

I recently sold an Original Res Dogs poster that had no NSS tag,but as i snagged it from the Cinema i worked in at the time,i can absolutely say that it was authentic.

Stew

Thanks Stew or should I say Holmes. You pretty much gave me the piece of the puzzle I needed for closure in this case, at least in my mind,  for now.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »
Quads don't usually have a NSS number...  The NSS is an American thing.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »

And Paul would know...his house is sinking into the moors under the weight of all those quads...
Lucky bastidge...  wynk

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »

i have plenty of Quads in my collection with NSS info, all obtained directly be me from a cinema.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 02:14:27 AM »
Well I've got getting on for 4000 quads, there's maybe a few with NSS address on, but there is no number next to the address... It would make life so much easier for dating them if there was.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 04:22:37 AM »
Well I've got getting on for 4000 quads, there's maybe a few with NSS address on, but there is no number next to the address... It would make life so much easier for dating them if there was.
Hi, Paul!
I think in the case of UK quads they're referring to that block of NSS small print rather than any individual numbering like they used to have on the US ones.
Best wishes,
Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:13:33 AM »
Hi, Paul!
I think in the case of UK quads they're referring to that block of NSS small print rather than any individual numbering like they used to have on the US ones.
Best wishes,
Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk

Sorry for any confusion, but as Terry correctly pointed out, i was referring to the NSS small print. I didn't mean to confuse that with the US system.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:41:29 AM by skyjackers »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:15 AM »
My mistake, I thought we were talking numbers/codes. 

Do you have a photo of yours Skyjackers, more so a close up of the text...

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
I don't at present but will take a pic soon and post it here.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2011, 03:44:49 PM »
I don't at present but will take a pic soon and post it here.

That would be very cool skyjackers. There is a copy of the nss version in that mpf link posted earlier, if anyone wants to look, but having one on here to look at and compare would be nice. The more info the better.

One more thing I should note. While searching for more info and images on this poster, I did find that there are vhs versions out there being sold as original cinema releases. Just look at the comparison in the thread and you should be able to tell if its a promo poster.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 10:36:27 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if this issue was properly resolved. I am currently going through my old quads and downsizing my collection, most are indie or art house films as I worked in a art house cinemas between 80s and 90s. I have three identical Reservoir Dogs quads and I don't recall if they came from the original release or the second release when it got more popular or even if they are from the VHS giveaways. I know I had one original at least but that was sold ages ago. Is there anyway I can tell for sure.? They are double sided . Not sure about the minor details above but `i will check tonight. But in the meantime if anyone has any pointers for sure I would appreciate it.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2017, 12:04:09 PM »
Interesting thread, I didn't know there were different versions. A shame that Photobucket is such a dreadful website so we can't see the differences. My version seems to match Zorba's in the first post.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 07:52:57 AM »
That thread in movieposterforum is no longer there (or at least the url above doesn't go to any thread just an error page) so I can't read the thread about the mid 90s edition. Anyway, I checked my posters and all have the NSS text blurb bottom left, does this mean they are the original release posters or where they the ones released once the film got a bit more popular? I'm not sure. Still seems a little confusion of this. I checked emovieposter archive and as ZORBA says they are mostly without the text. There is one of their listings that does have the NSS text but they make no reference if there is any difference to this edition than the edition without the text.

I checked my copies against the photos that Zorba posted above and they are all the same.

So for reference I am posting NSS text as no one seems to have posted that image here. And sorry for reactivating this fairly old thread.

One of my posters so you can see the positioning of the NSS text
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 07:54:00 AM by poster art »

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 05:55:48 PM »
I would say that if it has the NSS blurb then it is from the first release. I had a copy from the Cinema I worked at and it was from the initial release. I can't tell you if they released a version without the NSS at the same time though.

Offline poster art

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 10:08:02 PM »
I would say that if it has the NSS blurb then it is from the first release. I had a copy from the Cinema I worked at and it was from the initial release. I can't tell you if they released a version without the NSS at the same time though.

Ok thanks. I double checked my copies and I have 2 with the text and one without the text.