Author Topic: Building Lightboxes - the modern way....  (Read 1743 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Building Lightboxes - the modern way....
« on: July 03, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »
Hi all,

I have occasion to build lightboxes again!  Last time I did this, I built a quad, a few one sheets and a bus shelter.

These will actually be recessed, because I'll be framing out a few new interior walls to do this.

When I last did this, I used florescent bulbs that use ballasts.  Now, I want to consider using led strips, or possibly some other  method for the back lighting that will be strong enough to properly illuminate the posters.  Whatever it is, it will be mounted inside the wall, and I'll be using snap frames to mount the posters, so that the whole contraption will have the poster frame itself just on the surface of the wall, as if it was a frame hanging on the wall.

Let me know, please, if any of you have ideas, personal experience or resources you can pass along. I'd greatly appreciate it.

And, for all those in the States, happy 4th of July!

Holiday
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Building Lightboxes - the modern way....
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 10:58:56 AM »
Though I have not tested it myself, look into doing edge lit LED. Same exact thing they use in new LED ceiling lights that you can get at Home Depot.

I have made boxes using backlighting from LED strips but found that while trying to keep the distance to the diffusor small it would leave light/dark lines until I packed it with a lot of strips. The edge lit versions look like they should do the job with far less LEDs while allowing for a very slim frame profile.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: Building Lightboxes - the modern way....
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 10:31:14 PM »
Just spend 300 get a glowbox frame. The news tech are full panel led, not led light strips. You get even light distribution without hot spots.