Author Topic: Should/could movie posters ever be hung in museums?  (Read 28715 times)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
Re: Should/could movie posters ever be hung in museums?
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »
While not a traditional museum, I went to Geppi's Entertainment Museum several times before it closed a year or so ago because it's walls were covered with movie posters. Apparently the owner donated a lot of items to the Library of Congress.
- Eric

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 04:38:40 PM »
While not a traditional museum, I went to Geppi's Entertainment Museum several times before it closed a year or so ago because it's walls were covered with movie posters. Apparently the owner donated a lot of items to the Library of Congress.

And the fact that the LOC accepted his movie posters shows the place that many have in Cinema, movie and entertainment history.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 10:18:41 PM »
Exactly
- Eric

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 06:13:23 AM »
would a museum for movie posters have linen-backed posters ??? ;D

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »
Well, I was at LACMA last year to view some the Mike Kaplan collection of movie posters and they were all linen-backed. But then again, like 95% of high-end posters are.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »
would a museum for movie posters have linen-backed posters ??? ;D

Of course.

If a museum had acquired a rare poster or one that was in need of conservation or some type of restoration, then it's likely that poster would be a backed copy (linen, paper or maybe even gel backed).

And if that was the case, there certainly would be no issue with that.

Many museums have paintings and other works on paper that have had restoration and or other conservation methods applied. And those are displayed with pride, on museum walls.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2019, 12:32:08 PM »
Well, I was at LACMA last year to view some the Mike Kaplan collection of movie posters and they were all linen-backed. But then again, like 95% of high-end posters are.

Except of course some of the single most expensive one-sheets - the nicest two Mummy one-sheets are unbacked, the Bride teaser, London After Midnight, the Style B Black Cat, the original Style A Dracula, etc.
As always, if you don't have to - don't.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
Except of course some of the single most expensive one-sheets - the nicest two Mummy one-sheets are unbacked, the Bride teaser, London After Midnight, the Style B Black Cat, the original Style A Dracula, etc.

Exactly. IMO, posters shouldnt be backed either, jus because they have been folded (as issued from the printer), but are in otherwise outstanding condition. (But to each his own, as well a know).

My point was that IF a rare or compromised poster was in need of conservation prior to it being displayed, that any museum would take those steps to assure its survival and ability to be put on display.

Old world master paintings that have suffered (tiny or larger) areas of paint loss or flaking have been touched up by expert restorers. The same would be done to a poster, if need be.

But as you said, Sean, if NOT needed, don't do it. And Im sure museums follow this strict ideology, too.

-Jeff

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:18 PM »

Yeah, that's why I said 95% and not 100%. Look at any HA auction and the vast majority of posters over 5k are linen-backed. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:46:46 PM by Starling »

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
^ the reason i asked the question (tongue in cheek) is that i have read that museums don't consider the linen-backing process to be archival and they don't do it. from what i can make out, the only people who do linen-backing are collectors and auction houses. i can imagine people doing it just to try and make more money and this will make people who work in museums tear their hair out
i guess the head of my imaginary museum for movie posters would be all for paper-backing, european style of course ;D