Author Topic: Back To The Future video tape sells for $75000  (Read 2868 times)

Offline ihatefakes

• Beginner
Back To The Future video tape sells for $75000
« on: June 18, 2022, 05:44:22 PM »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Back To The Future video tape sells for $75000
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 12:17:04 PM »
Haha I saw that.  So ridiculous.

And the same goes for the BttF one sheets, especially since EVERY SINGLE auction has one for sale.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 07:49:12 AM »
So déjà-vu.   After the pokemon cards, video games, ... here it is, we now have VHS :)

But it's great, the steno and editors are working full time, press articles are out.... another pump and dump scheme for an artificial demand.    Great business for AFA and CGA who officially started grading VHS in October 2021, numbers of grading requests must be high and expect a lot to be flocked on Ebay.  I read VHS grading is 180 USD a pop with the case.

But then I wonder, the grading is for the packaging only. I doubt anyone can grade a magnetic tape ???
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 11:18:12 PM »
I think the pricing here had a lot to do with the fact that it was owned by (and came with proper documentation from) one of the actors involved with the film, and not an indication on the direction of the VHS collector market.  I seem to remember a few years ago seeing similar news stories about Disney "Black Diamond" release VHS tapes selling for thousands of dollars on eBay.  Come to find out, a few unscrupulous sellers had likely been doing some funny business to drive up the perceived value of their inventory. 

So déjà-vu.   After the pokemon cards, video games, ... here it is, we now have VHS :)

But it's great, the steno and editors are working full time, press articles are out.... another pump and dump scheme for an artificial demand.    Great business for AFA and CGA who officially started grading VHS in October 2021, numbers of grading requests must be high and expect a lot to be flocked on Ebay.  I read VHS grading is 180 USD a pop with the case.

But then I wonder, the grading is for the packaging only. I doubt anyone can grade a magnetic tape ???

For $180, they'd better be watching the whole tape from start to finish, and documenting every blip and tracking error.  But I was wondering too, if the tape is sealed, how are they going to properly grade it?  The biggest concern for a VHS collector should be mold on the tape and binder hydrolysis ("sticky shed syndrome).  No way to assess that if the tape is still "factory sealed."  That factory seal won't save your tape from poor storage conditions (like a damp basement that floods twice a year).

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2022, 10:20:29 PM »
Morons... first pressing DVD's will be next, buy now when you can get them for $2.