Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1520703 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #4100 on: June 30, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
A couple La Boca posters at Mondo available.

Wonder Woman '84 was not a good movie, but I can't argue with 1980s vibe these posters channel.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4101 on: October 06, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
Mondo should just quit doing alt film posters, the ones they just announced continue their run of just terrible releases.  Need a new art director or focus on the vinyl which they have been having a great run of releases on.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4102 on: October 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
Oh man, I couldnt agree more.  Do you remember all the prints we used to buy.  Like 20-30/year.  Now I must be down to 5.  That's when Justin was running the show.  But at the end of the day, except for this dreadful IFC collection (IFC????  WTF??)  they sell out in seconds, so we're probably in the wrong here.  Money talks.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4103 on: October 06, 2021, 07:51:47 PM »
I’ve bought 7 from them so far this year…probably the fewest since I started collecting. I still think they have some good releases, but they’re not miles ahead of the rest like they used to be. I suppose they’re more than just a poster company now, perhaps posters don’t make them as much money as their other lines so they prioritise accordingly. Justin Ishmael and Justin Brookhart were good at their jobs (and nice guys too), so hard to replace I suspect.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4104 on: October 07, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
I have bought 7 posters, 3 LPs and one toy from Mondo in 2021. In the same period, I have purchased about 20 posters from Bottleneck Gallery and 7-10 posters from others.

Why have I purchased less from Mondo?
More competition? Quality of art? Maybe to some degree. I'm sure if they had a Tyler Stout or Durieux release it would sell out, but those artists increasingly are releasing art through other outlets.
Why should Mondo pay 10X? the artist fee for one of those guys, if you can pick a new artist and almost insta-sellout anyway?

I'd also suggest that the scope of licensing limits what prints are available. Almost all properties have multiple releases for the prints.
I'm a Star Wars whore. Not necessarily buying, but any licensed Star Wars print from these galleries is going to get a look from me. For other licenses, I'm more reserved.
If I have 5 Jaws prints, and 4 Alien prints, and 10 Avengers prints or whatever, the next one has to be pretty damn good for me to pull the trigger.

Who knows. Buy what you like? Have fun with it. We are past the golden age of Mondo, but I'm still waiting for the 'print bubble' to pop. Mondo is still pretty popular. I hope that they can navigate the financial troubles they were having and come out strong. Even if we don't love their current output, more players producing prints is a good thing IMO.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:56:36 AM by jpicken »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4105 on: October 07, 2021, 11:07:52 PM »
Video killed the radio star.  Then Alamo killed the paper poster.

Rescuing some forsaken paraphernalia, has become overhyped "buy it now" clickery. 

Creating art as a singular expression of film is now a carefully designed commercial enterprise.

Discuss.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4106 on: March 17, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »
I own a couple of these prints and I honestly didn't think they were worth more than what I paid for, probably $40 at the time of the drop.  Since I'm not a seller, I don't follow the market and I'm always astonished to see what people are willing to fork out.  At first, I was like, crazy, WTF is wrong here.  Then I read this...

Note that this art print has been hand-numbered 106/190! Also, the orange on this poster glows in the dark! Finally, note that we previously auctioned this exact Mondo print (#106/190) in June of 2021, and it sold for $1,950! The person who bought it has re-consigned it, and it will now be sold to the highest bidder!

So someone bought it for $1,950 and resold it for $815.  Not so crazy after all.  That's a big drop.  But it does make sense.  Emovie sells movie posters.  In order to get the print world eyeballs, they need to advertise the sale as a print sale, like they did when it sold for $2k.  Print people do not care about movie posters.  It's sad for the seller, but why did he/she agree to have this print sell amongst movie posters and not in a more specifically targeted print sale.

It's a great print, though, certainly one of my favs, and I'm glad to see it get some love.

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4107 on: June 13, 2022, 08:28:53 AM »
Funko have bought Mondo

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/funko-buys-mondo-high-end-pop-culture-collectibles-vendor-from-alamo-drafthouse-1235290645/?fbclid=IwAR2BncJE3RCJxYINYGViHHC17rxvtlVVjhTu2KTKwKqSdB4YUhp8Vs7_zQk

Tim League, Alamo Drafthouse founder and executive chairman, said in a statement, “Over the past few months, we searched exhaustively to find a perfect partner who saw what was unique and special about Mondo and was in a position to meaningfully invest in Mondo, nurture the team, and further its reach and vision. Funko is exactly that unicorn.” He added, “The team that made Mondo amazing is staying together, making the transition to Funko, and will continue their same work with the same creative vision.”

Funko must have good connections for licensing. But I wonder if Mondo will have now have new commercial pressures that dilute what the existing fans like about them? It'll be interesting to see how (if?) things change...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4108 on: June 13, 2022, 10:17:23 AM »
I'm sure it was a very itty-bitty deal.  I can't imagine Mondo being very expensive haha.  But Variety mentioned it, so that's worth noting.  Thanks Tob.

With more money, maybe Mondo can bring its former creative director, Justin Ishmael, back and be good again. 

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4109 on: July 04, 2022, 07:46:44 AM »
So someone bought it for $1,950 and resold it for $815.  Not so crazy after all.  That's a big drop.  But it does make sense.  Emovie sells movie posters.  In order to get the print world eyeballs, they need to advertise the sale as a print sale, like they did when it sold for $2k.  Print people do not care about movie posters.  It's sad for the seller, but why did he/she agree to have this print sell amongst movie posters and not in a more specifically targeted print sale.

It sold for $504 at Heritage last night (including BP), in their print auction. I agree with your points above, I didn’t see much/any advertising of this AMP print auction in the haunts where print collectors hangout (espressobeans, Facebook groups with thousands of members etc). Ken Taylor Halloween went for $750 - if you offered one for $750 in one of those groups, it’d have sold very quickly. They still achieved some very good results, but I really agree with you about targeting the right audience. EMP more savvy - they even got Mondo to post across their social media about their current auction with prints in it. Anyway, I’m no marketing expert, just some observations…
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:49:55 AM by Tob »

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4110 on: July 04, 2022, 09:17:14 AM »
Some stuff went for more a little than I would have expected, but overall, there were some bargains to be had. If this was my stuff consigned to this auction, I would have been a little disappointed with the results TBH.

I got an email and scanned through things about a week ago, but I wasn't paying attention to this auction.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4111 on: July 04, 2022, 01:51:58 PM »
I thought it was extremely weak. 

Since I’m not in the selling business, i thought maybe the whole market was finally crashing and it got me very excited.  There wasn't much that I wanted there, but I thought that maybe, just maybe I could eventually buy the dozen or so pieces I’ve drooled over for years but could not afford. 

But then I talked to a couple people who collect prints for a living with insane collections and they had no idea this was even happening.  So if got me thinking that HA did not reach the core print audience and it was all a fluke.  Just a bad sale.

And yea, Bruce is so much better at it when he does a print sale.  He knows and plays the game.

T
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 01:59:33 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4112 on: July 04, 2022, 05:20:53 PM »

...Bruce is so much better at it when he does a print sale.  He knows and plays the game.........

T

I completely agree. I consigned Emovieposter around 250 Mondo prints (after pulling out and keeping my most valuable ones) for his April auction. This was my first meaningful business with Bruce as a seller and I chatted with him on the phone for the first time in 25 years. He was friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about wanting to sell my prints and it was an easy decision to choose him. He seemed to share my nervousness as the items shipped and he even had words with senior DHL personnel when it got stuck close to its destination, to expedite matters. I appreciated the way he presented my lots as if he were running a separate print auction. Somehow he persuaded Tim League to promote the auction on Mondo's social media resulting in potentially MANY MANY more people viewing the lots.

I sent Bruce a schedule of the highest historical sale price I could find for each print consigned, with a grand total. He achieved 92% of that grand total which I was very impressed with. All but eleven prints were paid for promptly. Eventually everyone paid. The $6100 he got for Stout's The Thing was amazing (fortunately I still have two more prints) but the most incredible result for me was the $1800 he got for a small non-Mondo print, signed by John Carpenter, which I had got for free in a goody bag.

He is now selling around 20 of my duplicates this week and I see once again Mondo is giving a shout-out.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4113 on: July 04, 2022, 06:02:42 PM »
Great story.  Thanks Mark.  And glad it worked so well for you.  I think everyone knew about Bruce's sale, while no one was aware of HA's.  It makes all the difference  With Grey gone, I don't even know who's in charge over there.  Should something happen to me, I've already told my wife to contact Bruce's people.  Hopefully Bruce won't read this and send some of his henchmen to me haha. 

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4114 on: July 04, 2022, 06:34:07 PM »
That's a glowing endorsement, Mark. It sounds like you made the right choice and timed things very well too.

Did you use a third party to pack the prints? I'll have to PM you for some details on the logistics when it's convenient for you...I wish EMP had a London branch :)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4115 on: July 04, 2022, 06:45:50 PM »
Also, it's fun to read back through this thread and to get a taste of Mondo drops from the early days. I wish I was more active and had the foresight to get 3 x The Things! I don't think I started buying regularly until around mid/late 2010.

I wonder if the member Acidburn who posted a lot back in those days is the same Acidburn who owns Bottleneck Gallery (he posts as Acidburn on Expressobeans)...I'll have to ask him one day.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4116 on: March 24, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
Sad news regarding Mondo, it seems like both Rob Jones and Mitch Putnam have been laid off - https://www.thewrap.com/funko-mondo-layoffs-posters-cease-production/

Funko have been struggling lately, earnings and share price both taking a dive, so I suppose they're trying to cut costs? Hopefully Mitch and Rob will be back with a new venture in the same arena. A handful of artists from the Mondo stable already posting on Facebook saying that they won't be working with them after this.

The end of an era perhaps? Hopefully not. These things always seem better when they're a bit rough round the edges and raw. Not really surprising that some corporation like Funko comes in and makes a mess.

Another report here - https://bloody-disgusting.com/the-further/3755945/funko-guts-mondo-and-ends-poster-division-less-than-a-year-after-purchasing-the-company/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:07:21 PM by Tob »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4117 on: March 24, 2023, 08:37:15 PM »
I was just talking to a friend of mine about this and I told him that I will personally not miss Mondo.  The stuff they've been coming up with over the past 2-3 years has been dreadful.  I can't even remember the last time I bought something from Mondo.  I don't know who the artistic director is (was) now, but he/she should have been let go long ago.  It's never fun to see people lose their jobs, and I feel sorry for them, but in my opinion it is long overdue.  So many other people do it better nowadays.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4118 on: March 25, 2023, 08:32:02 AM »
I think their poster output suffered as they diversified into vinyl and toys, but they still continued to release prints I really liked (i bought 12 in 2021 and 6 in 2022, which is down a lot on some of the previous years). A bit less obvious and commercial than some of their peers, I like how they‘d take more risk in terms of the films and art.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #4119 on: March 30, 2023, 08:55:02 AM »
Mondo lost their 'edge' when both Justins left...

I agree that their output in past several years has been 99% garbage. Sad.

The SW license back in 2010 was when they really reached their peak, but after that it all got watered down and studios made it too hard or impossible for likeness rights, etc...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #4120 on: April 22, 2023, 05:31:58 AM »
I completely agree. I consigned Emovieposter around 250 Mondo prints (after pulling out and keeping my most valuable ones) for his April auction. This was my first meaningful business with Bruce as a seller and I chatted with him on the phone for the first time in 25 years. He was friendly and genuinely enthusiastic about wanting to sell my prints and it was an easy decision to choose him. He seemed to share my nervousness as the items shipped and he even had words with senior DHL personnel when it got stuck close to its destination, to expedite matters. I appreciated the way he presented my lots as if he were running a separate print auction. Somehow he persuaded Tim League to promote the auction on Mondo's social media resulting in potentially MANY MANY more people viewing the lots.

I sent Bruce a schedule of the highest historical sale price I could find for each print consigned, with a grand total. He achieved 92% of that grand total which I was very impressed with. All but eleven prints were paid for promptly. Eventually everyone paid. The $6100 he got for Stout's The Thing was amazing (fortunately I still have two more prints) but the most incredible result for me was the $1800 he got for a small non-Mondo print, signed by John Carpenter, which I had got for free in a goody bag.

He is now selling around 20 of my duplicates this week and I see once again Mondo is giving a shout-out.

Mark
I knew that collection had to have been from one of us. Congrats on the results.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4121 on: April 22, 2023, 08:20:53 AM »
Thank you and welcome back!

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #4122 on: April 24, 2023, 04:06:12 AM »
Thank you and welcome back!

Mark

Thanks, I'll try to be around a bit more.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4123 on: January 29, 2024, 11:42:33 AM »
The end of an era perhaps?

Looks like some of the old Mondo crew have formed a new company - https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/arts/2024-01-29/mondo-veterans-and-spectrevision-announce-new-collectibles-company-mutant/

http://www.madebymutant.com/
https://www.instagram.com/madebymutant/

Following soon after will be posters for another of Warner Bros.' biggest releases of the upcoming year, Dune: Part Two.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4124 on: January 30, 2024, 06:28:46 PM »
Missing Rob Jones and Justin, but looks like they are putting the band back together.