Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1125586 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #4100 on: June 30, 2021, 03:20:04 PM »
A couple La Boca posters at Mondo available.

Wonder Woman '84 was not a good movie, but I can't argue with 1980s vibe these posters channel.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #4101 on: October 06, 2021, 05:03:17 PM »
Mondo should just quit doing alt film posters, the ones they just announced continue their run of just terrible releases.  Need a new art director or focus on the vinyl which they have been having a great run of releases on.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4102 on: October 06, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
Oh man, I couldnt agree more.  Do you remember all the prints we used to buy.  Like 20-30/year.  Now I must be down to 5.  That's when Justin was running the show.  But at the end of the day, except for this dreadful IFC collection (IFC????  WTF??)  they sell out in seconds, so we're probably in the wrong here.  Money talks.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4103 on: October 06, 2021, 07:51:47 PM »
I’ve bought 7 from them so far this year…probably the fewest since I started collecting. I still think they have some good releases, but they’re not miles ahead of the rest like they used to be. I suppose they’re more than just a poster company now, perhaps posters don’t make them as much money as their other lines so they prioritise accordingly. Justin Ishmael and Justin Brookhart were good at their jobs (and nice guys too), so hard to replace I suspect.

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4104 on: October 07, 2021, 08:11:17 AM »
I have bought 7 posters, 3 LPs and one toy from Mondo in 2021. In the same period, I have purchased about 20 posters from Bottleneck Gallery and 7-10 posters from others.

Why have I purchased less from Mondo?
More competition? Quality of art? Maybe to some degree. I'm sure if they had a Tyler Stout or Durieux release it would sell out, but those artists increasingly are releasing art through other outlets.
Why should Mondo pay 10X? the artist fee for one of those guys, if you can pick a new artist and almost insta-sellout anyway?

I'd also suggest that the scope of licensing limits what prints are available. Almost all properties have multiple releases for the prints.
I'm a Star Wars whore. Not necessarily buying, but any licensed Star Wars print from these galleries is going to get a look from me. For other licenses, I'm more reserved.
If I have 5 Jaws prints, and 4 Alien prints, and 10 Avengers prints or whatever, the next one has to be pretty damn good for me to pull the trigger.

Who knows. Buy what you like? Have fun with it. We are past the golden age of Mondo, but I'm still waiting for the 'print bubble' to pop. Mondo is still pretty popular. I hope that they can navigate the financial troubles they were having and come out strong. Even if we don't love their current output, more players producing prints is a good thing IMO.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 09:56:36 AM by jpicken »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4105 on: October 07, 2021, 11:07:52 PM »
Video killed the radio star.  Then Alamo killed the paper poster.

Rescuing some forsaken paraphernalia, has become overhyped "buy it now" clickery. 

Creating art as a singular expression of film is now a carefully designed commercial enterprise.

Discuss.