Author Topic: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update  (Read 1520581 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Alamo Drafthouse / Rolling Road Show Poster Update
« Reply #3725 on: October 19, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »
It really isn't. I have a 10 mbps connection and I get stuff with more success than other guys I know with 100 mbps/FIOS connections.

Also, Mondo has changed the infrastructure of their site to boot automated scripts and bots (as well as folks pressing F5 for hours) every several minutes. I know people who used auto cart bots who say it doesn't even work any more.

Hmm...  I beg to differ.  Look, I have my own way of doing things and I've been pretty successful at it.  Out of the 250 Mondo prints I own, I probably got 230 directly from Mondo, the rest on Ebay.  But I also know, from meeting people at gallery openings, one of them 2 days ago at Hero Complex, that some of them have snipping programs.  Most of them won't admit it on line but are much more open to talk about it in person.  Like a potential nanny I interviewed 3 months ago who told me that her boyfriend would share a program with me if I hired her.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3726 on: October 19, 2014, 01:45:56 PM »
Like a potential nanny I interviewed 3 months ago who told me that her boyfriend would share a program with me if I hired her.

T

And just when you thought you had read it all.....

;D

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3727 on: October 19, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
I never understood the whole "be prepared for the drop, because it's instantly sold out" mentality.  Collectors are competing against flippers who are banking pretty serious $, using methods like this.

Again, this isn't true.

Most collectors are flippers and vise versa. The bot method doesn't really work any more, and because of behind the scene measures that has been taken, they are on an even playing field.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3728 on: October 19, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

;D

I know right?  The mailman happened to deliver a Mondo poster in the middle of the interview.  She then told me that her boyfriend would stand in line for hours before a gallery opening and that he had this great snipping program that would bid for him at Mondo and he would never miss a single drop.  She concluded by saying that she would share it with me, meaning if I hired her.  Needless to say, I didn't.  I don't want crazy EB people around my kids ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3729 on: October 19, 2014, 02:56:55 PM »
I don't want crazy EB people around my kids ;) collection

ctfu

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3730 on: October 19, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »
ctfu

Well, believe it or not, Rich, but I care more about my kids than my collection.  Crazy, huh?

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3731 on: October 19, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »
Well, believe it or not, Rich, but I care more about my kids than my collection.  Crazy, huh?

insanity!
 woohoo

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #3732 on: October 19, 2014, 03:24:12 PM »
Not sure about the EB generalization though...sure, there are tons of jackasses there, but several folks that I have either met or dealt with from there have been incredibly nice and helpful, i.e. 'normal'.

Wonder what that crowd thinks about this place or NSFGE, etc... there's good folks and weirdos everywhere.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3733 on: October 19, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
Not sure about the EB generalization though...sure, there are tons of jackasses there, but several folks that I have either met or dealt with from there have been incredibly nice and helpful, i.e. 'normal'.

Wonder what that crowd thinks about this place or NSFGE, etc... there's good folks and weirdos everywhere.

I feel like I'm way too square for that crowd.  I went to an opening on Friday because it was 10 minutes away from my house and I was looking at the people there thinking wtf am I doing here.  I am not putting myself above the fray, just different.  I like collecting this stuff, but from a distance.
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3734 on: October 19, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
I feel like I'm way too square for that crowd.  I went to an opening on Friday because it was 10 minutes away from my house and I was looking at the people there thinking wtf am I doing here.  I am not putting myself above the fray, just different.  I like collecting this stuff, but from a distance.

I can understand this perspective. Collecting is far more a personal thing than most people - including collectors - understand.
I don't collect for anyone else. I collect purely for my own pleasure and while it is great to share my passion with others, even those closest to you who do not collect don't understand us.

taken into another perspective: we collectors spend tens or hundreds or thousands of dollars on an item that most likely 90% of any population would think we are insane because their measure of what money is for and how hard it is for them to earn money is the arbiter or what they see as intelligent use of money.

Collecting in any arena is an abstract

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3735 on: October 20, 2014, 10:53:07 PM »

;D

Wow!
Chris

Ogami_Itto

« Reply #3736 on: October 22, 2014, 11:05:16 AM »
No mention of the gorgeous fly poster?!?!?

I bought the cream version first mondo poster I've bought in quite some time.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3737 on: November 06, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »
BttF3 acquired. woohoo
Set complete. woohoo
Witty signature goes here.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3738 on: November 06, 2014, 04:05:21 PM »
Congrats.  I only got the BTTF 2 variant in the set.
My Personal Collection

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3739 on: November 06, 2014, 05:32:20 PM »
From what I've seen, that seems to be the most popular one. Nice!

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3740 on: November 08, 2014, 12:30:40 AM »
Gratz on the score pratschm.
Off topic, but for all you BTTF nuts, check this out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgeekcollectibles/mini-flux-capacitor-back-to-the-future-collectible

Of the three, the first movie is almost perfect. The others are almost unwatchable to me, but this Kickstarter made me LOL.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:34:23 AM by jpicken »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3741 on: November 08, 2014, 04:09:00 AM »
By William Stout:

Gets my vote for Best Horror Print of the Year.
It's a William Stout masterpiece.
 clap clap clap clap

Mirosae

« Reply #3742 on: November 08, 2014, 04:39:06 AM »
It certainly is a great poster. And the best dracula..that's the best teeth for a Dracula ayyyy

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3743 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »
Dreadful.
My Personal Collection

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3744 on: November 08, 2014, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm surprised you don't like it, T.
What do you find so 'dreadful' about it?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3745 on: November 08, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »
too comic book for me, which would be ok for fearless vampire killers perhaps, but not Nosferatu.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3746 on: November 08, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
Gratz on the score pratschm.
Off topic, but for all you BTTF nuts, check this out:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madgeekcollectibles/mini-flux-capacitor-back-to-the-future-collectible

Of the three, the first movie is almost perfect. The others are almost unwatchable to me, but this Kickstarter made me LOL.

Thanks, jpicken!
Nice kickstarter find, too!

guest8

« Reply #3747 on: November 09, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
Looks like things are still going on like normal around here. :) Glad to see talk about Mondo fixing it so that normal people have a better shot on their site now-a-days! I may just have to start paying attention again, but not if what I've seen on this page is any indication of the quality of work that they putting out, I may just stay retired. :P

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3748 on: November 09, 2014, 11:11:26 AM »
I didn't see any server meltdown for the BttF3 release and I'm quite certain the flippers were on top of that one.
The only thing I noticed was that the print's page didn't say 'Sold Out' for quite some time, while if you tried to put it in your cart, only then were you informed that it was indeed sold out.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #3749 on: December 04, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
Love me some Tom & Jerry! Scored!