Author Topic: The end is coming....  (Read 2486 times)

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
The end is coming....
« on: May 22, 2022, 08:43:11 PM »
I brand new Regal opened in the last week near me.  Not a single paper-based lightbox to be seen.  Every one is electronic.

I don't know how I feel about this.  I wonder if anyone even notices this other than poster geeks such as us.  To the general public, the boxes they have are the same 27x40-ish dimensions that we're used to seeing. They are just not paper.

What are we thinking about this, as a collecting community? Does it help or hurt?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: The end is coming....
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2022, 09:37:08 PM »
I feel AWESOME about it.  No more new posters to buy, now that would be something.  Sellers of new posters have been jacking up their prices like crazy, posters cost 3-5x what they cost pre Covid and it makes no sense to me.  It did during Covid, since there were so few movies out and so few posters printed, but now it's borderline ridiculous.  What is even more ridiculous is that I'm still buying because I'm a collector and I can't stop. 

So no more new posters, you say?  I say count me in.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2022, 01:33:12 AM »
Lets have a forum sub-section for digital poster collecting  :P 

Though there was some guy that joined the forum (about 8 years ago) who said he only collected digital posters (of real physical posters)!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 01:04:37 PM »
It's interesting. Put another way, it's a question of what's "real".  It's a huge philosophical debate, but ultimately one of what I choose to call real.  Personally, something on paper is more real to me than that in the digital space, when it comes to posters and such.  I guess this comes from photography, because for me, it's not really a picture until it's printed (and usually properly framed).  There is a level of interaction with the thoughts and experiences that are represented in the image that is not present in the digital realm.  Of course, there is an entirely distinct experience in the digital realm. It's not really a conversation of what is better, but rather what I prefer.  The feel of the paper, the smell of the ink.  Even the weight of the paper. All of these and so much  more are not present with digital posters (as a collector).  I could go on and on with this.  Thierry will surely have something to say about my physical interaction with posters and things.

Lets have a forum sub-section for digital poster collecting  :P 

Though there was some guy that joined the forum (about 8 years ago) who said he only collected digital posters (of real physical posters)!
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 04:51:31 AM »
My two local cinemas:

- 12 screen multiplex - zero paper posters, they dropped paper 3 or 4 years ago. Instead, they use a mix of digital/moving screens and those huge canvas-type lit up displays.

- 3 screen independent - they display 12 or so quads in the lobby/hallways. If I put my objective hat on, I suppose it feels a bit dated in comparison to the multiplex, but as a collector, I get a thrill from seeing quads in their natural environment and much prefer it.

It's interesting. Put another way, it's a question of what's "real".

It is interesting - with the rise of NFTs and the 'metaverse', it wouldn't surprise me if digitally collecting posters became a thing in a generation or two. I feel a bit old and out of touch as none of that stuff resonates with me and I struggle to understand the appeal.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 12:18:42 AM »
Me too, Tob.  I liked wandering the theater to see the new posters in action, nicely lit up.  All the digital boxes made me wince a bit.  But I’m olding lol
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 09:43:33 PM »
Me too, Tob.  I liked wandering the theater to see the new posters in action, nicely lit up.  All the digital boxes made me wince a bit.  But I’m olding lol

Yes sir.

Browsing the posters in the theatre has been part of the movie going experience for me years before I collected my first one.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 01:57:17 PM »
Z's back.. Fantastic. Getting like the old days.

While on the subject, the guy who I got my new posters from, his Cinema went fully Digital maybe two years back, I've not had any since as I won't pay more than a Fiver for them. Which is fine as gives me more to spend on older ones.
It's more than a Hobby...