Author Topic: Lobby Cards  (Read 3857 times)

Offline FanOfTheMovies13

• Beginner
Lobby Cards
« on: April 10, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
Hi, I've never collected lobby cards before and noticed some for sale online, Are lobby cards printed on thicker paper? Are these authentic? Thanks!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
Re: Lobby Cards
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
Yes, lobby cards are printed on card. All the sets I've seen for Chamber of Secrets though have a white border so I'm not sure about these ones.

Mark

Offline FanOfTheMovies13

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 11:59:40 PM »
Cool yup the seller claims it's printed on thicker paper and is original movie merch. There is a white border around the image sorry must have cropped it too much. Thanks for the help!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 01:02:57 AM »
I didn't know that I had this one, but I checked my website and I do :)  So here's an original set if that helps.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline FanOfTheMovies13

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 02:22:08 AM »
That full set looks so good! Is there any signs to spot fakes? Or is their even fake lobby cards?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 07:07:35 PM »
Yes there are.  I'm not very good at this, I would stop it immediately if I saw it, but I'm not very good at explaining it.  There is something called minty white lobby cards, which I guess means that the back side is too white to be authentic.  Obviously all lobby cards back sides are white, but not that white.  Maybe someone else can explain.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline FanOfTheMovies13

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 12:35:45 AM »
Ahh ok got it, thanks for the info would look out for the color on the cards! I'll just buy 4 first then check on them before investing in the full set. Appreciate all the help!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 04:25:43 AM »
Yes, after that it's just a matter of personal preference.  I personally do not collect incomplete sets, I do not have the time, patience or interest for chasing missing cards.  I also collect newer stuff, 1950s and up mostly, as older 20s to 40s cards do not interest me.  Most incomplete sets are pre 50s.  Finally, I hate pinholes in cards, so that's something to think about.  All collectors are different.

What you could do if you want to stick to modern cards (post 80s) is buy a cheap set no one cares about (therefore original) and compare its backside to all your future purchases.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline FanOfTheMovies13

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 11:06:59 AM »
Ah yes, that's a good idea I do need a set to compare them with, Thanks!

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 11:51:57 PM »
Yes, after that it's just a matter of personal preference.  I personally do not collect incomplete sets, I do not have the time, patience or interest for chasing missing cards.  I also collect newer stuff, 1950s and up mostly, as older 20s to 40s cards do not interest me.  Most incomplete sets are pre 50s.  Finally, I hate pinholes in cards, so that's something to think about.  All collectors are different.

What you could do if you want to stick to modern cards (post 80s) is buy a cheap set no one cares about (therefore original) and compare its backside to all your future purchases.

T

eatbrie is right.  Buy a few more cards from different movies in the era you're interested in.  You can read about authentication all day online, but nothing beats your own five senses (OK, maybe don't *taste* your lobby cards, but your other senses will tell you a lot).

I am a big lover of lobby cards.  It's great to see the images taken by the dedicated stills photographer expressly for promotional purposes.  So I was always happy to hunt down individual cards. In fact, when I was younger that's the only way I could afford to buy lobby cards, but it was so fun to cobble together a complete set of lobby cards over time, and that's what this hobby is all about, right?  It's collecting for the fun of it. 

Condition is important to me, too.  But pinholes aren't necessarily a deal-breaker to me, especially if it's a rare title, or if it makes the price better for me.  Anyway, there's also that element of authenticity when your poster has signs of being used in a theater.  I can live with that, since it's my love for cinema history that got me into this side of collecting.