Author Topic: Rolled movie posters from yesteryear?  (Read 57185 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Rolled movie posters from yesteryear?
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
Just got this rolled "Follow Me" from 1969 from Cinemasterpieces. Very cool to have a 41 year old poster that is rolled.  Anybody else want to share a picture of one of your older rolled posters?

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Rolled movie posters from yesteryear?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:49 PM »
Don't have pics handy of my personal stuff that is both older and rolled, but I am always amazed as to what shows up from time to time that is almost unheard of in anything but folded condition.

Case in point: I have seen firsthand both a rolled White Christmas OS and Dr. No OS (first issue) in person.
And no, they were not on linen and no, they were not gently folded initially and subsequently stored flat for decades.  I am talking true blue rolled one sheets that made it out of the NSS printing facility unscathed.

I know a source who owns and has has also seen crazier stuff rolled that just seems impossible...I am going to check in with him to see what the titles were since I am not remembering right now and don't want to misspeak. 
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:14:40 AM »
My friend/acquaintance had a set of the first three James Bond/Sean Connery quads in unfolded pristine collection - I just couldn't afford what he wanted at the time - I think they were subsequently bought by a London dealer for his private collection.

Mark

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:05:08 AM »
Cool stuff guys.  I just randomly ran across this extraordinary poster - a rolled 1961(!) advance DOUBLE-SIDED (!!) poster for Breakfast at Tiffany's.  That's thirty years before double-sided posters become common.   Two have sold at Christie's and Heritage for big bucks. It "was evidently produced to be used at the premier roadshow engagements of this film."

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
Yeah, most of my rolled late 60s/early 70s posters were special type posters -- aka my Van Hammersveld Get Carter, etc... 

I do have a few rolled, regular NSS issue posters that I consider pretty rare though.  Chief of which is probably my 1978 Dawn of the Dead -- not the special 16mm poster which is often found rolled, but the regular NSS issue.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:41:15 AM »
Dawn of the Dead, thats a great score rolled there, Harry.

Another one I saw firsthand was a Vertigo OS rolled.  My jaw hit the floor, I couldn't get over it.  The back of it had some very light notes written in pencil about printing preferences and changes to get all of them 'looking like this one-FINAL'.  How cool is that...

(As an aside, I really like notes and such on the back of posters if the writing isn't through to the other side of course...love the historical aspects of these things and the story each one tells...I think about stuff like that...very dorky I guess.)

I have a rolled Logan's Run OS, straight from an old NSS source who pulled it off the press and took it home because he liked it.  Now I get to like it...ha.  Not the biggest deal in the world, but still kinda cool.  I have many older Moore Bond posters all rolled.  Some rarer 80s titles rolled that are tough as hell to find...some other stuff.  I just need to dig through my tubes and finally start to flatten some stuff.

I was mistaken,

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:04:57 PM »
Another one I saw firsthand was a Vertigo OS rolled.  My jaw hit the floor, I couldn't get over it.  The back of it had some very light notes written in pencil about printing preferences and changes to get all of them 'looking like this one-FINAL'.  How cool is that...

That is pretty insane.  Definitely a one-off piece. 

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 06:26:25 PM »
This is the grandmother of all rolled posters:

The man who ran the press at Morgan Litho was so impressed he took home one of each style, and almost 60 years later his son consigned them to me, and I sold this one (with the solo Dietrich) for $46,200!

It looked unbelievable in person. No foldlines, no backing, no restoration!

Bruce

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
This is the grandmother of all rolled posters:

The man who ran the press at Morgan Litho was so impressed he took home one of each style, and almost 60 years later his son consigned them to me, and I sold this one (with the solo Dietrich) for $46,200!

It looked unbelievable in person. No foldlines, no backing, no restoration!

Bruce

Woah!!!  :)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 06:37:22 PM »
 clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Thread closed!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
+1

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:18 PM »
Ma-ma, Dah-dah whatta posta!  jawdrop

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:02:05 PM »
What else did this consignor have Bruce?
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 09:10:25 AM »
While Bruce clearly holds the floor for the present, I do have a rolled OHMSS quad, which I love.

But I will hand back to Bruce now.

Bruce

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:25 AM »
The consignor's dad had taken home one of each style from The Devil is a Woman. I auctioned the other one a year later and it went for $13,800.

He said his dad told him he just thought the one with a single image of Dietrich was a wonderful poster, and he took that (and the other style) straight from the press (he apparently worked by the presses, but I don't know what he did exactly) home, and they stayed rolled in his basement! Apparently he never had the urge to take anything else home, before or after. Imagine if he (or the studio) had thought to keep one each from EVERY movie, rolled off the presses!

The images do not come close to doing the posters justice. The colors were so rich and vibrant, because the posters were never displayed in any way. And no fold lines really helps the visual appeal in person.

Bruce

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 10:51:59 AM »
The colours look pretty bloody gorgeous in the images.

Lovely.

Nice story too.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
Those posters are Fantastic Bruce, it must have been a treat just to see them in the flesh as it were.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 01:03:13 PM »
Yes, but their presence has also ruined this thread!  :P 

Hey guys... I have a rolled 1979 Alien NSS!

(crickets)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »
Still haven't heard any admiration for my rolled Logan's Run, THE poster to beat in this thread thus far...come one, someone pat me on the back!  ;)

I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
Still haven't heard any admiration for my rolled Logan's Run, THE poster to beat in this thread thus far...come one, someone pat me on the back!  ;)

happy1

Now where is the pic?  8)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »

Sorry for the terrible pic, it was taken over 2 years ago before our new camera...its in better shape than it looks, even.

Too bad Bruce's consignee didn't see this one before they handed over Marlene to eMovie.  I would have traded straight up.

I was mistaken,

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
Wonka it is cool...Ofcourse I liked the movie and was an Agutter fan back in the day.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
rolled poster fans will be in hog heaven for my next 2 auctions

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »
I have a Follow Me one sheet like Mel (same source), which is the earliest rolled US one sheet I have (69). I have about five rolled titles from 1970, but one of the jewels in my collection is my Dirty Harry US one sheet. I have the 80s (early 90s?) restrike and never thought I'd own a rolled original (71) so I was very happy when I located one about a year ago. It has a few light creases in the bottom half, but is in excellent shape overall.

Wonka: That Logan's Run is a beauty - love the artwork. I have a rolled advance, but it loses the lower chunk of art.

Rich: Any previews yet? :)
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 08:17:44 PM »

Rich: Any previews yet? :)

not yet.. photographing tomorrow
but there will an ET bike, Shawshank, Spidey WTC, Drive-Invasion with Saucermen art.. other goodies too
following week will have Reservoir Dogs, PF Dictionary adv and even more goodies

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------