Author Topic: What if you die tomorrow.  (Read 6150 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
What if you die tomorrow.
« on: January 09, 2022, 09:13:16 PM »
So my wife asked me yesterday, if you were going to die tomorrow (I'm in my early 50s, so maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough) what should I do with your crap (she didn't say crap, but I read her mind ;))

On the one hand, I'm seeing Heritage results, and they get a lot of money for things that are really worth nothing.  So there is that.  Emovie doesn't seem to get as much.  I could be wrong, but that's what I see.  On the other hand. Heritage charges 40% on each items they sell (20% for the buyer and 20% for the seller) which is absolutely outrageous to me.  Emovie charges half of that.  So there is that too.

So I really don't know who to suggest.  I've had excellent relationships with both Bruce and Grey, which would probably influence me one way or the other, but really doesn't.

Suggestions?  Have you guys thought about it?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: What if you die tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 09:54:46 PM »
On the one hand, I'm seeing Heritage results, and they get a lot of money for things that are really worth nothing.  So there is that.  Emovie doesn't seem to get as much.  I could be wrong, but that's what I see.  On the other hand. Heritage charges 40% on each items they sell (20% for the buyer and 20% for the seller) which is absolutely outrageous to me.  Emovie charges half of that.  So there is that too.

So I really don't know who to suggest.  I've had excellent relationships with both Bruce and Grey, which would probably influence me one way or the other, but really doesn't.

I would suggest to you that everything is negotiable, and that would include your fee with Heritage (and possibly Bruce). I'm not even certain that the percentage you quote for seller is correct anyways.

I'm sure you have an excellent system for separating your higher dollar posters (I think we even talked about this once, but I don't remember the details). Most likely the best items will do better with Heritage, regardless of fee. 
You probably can't go wrong with giving Bruce a large percentage of your lower value items, things where Heritage's wacky $29 premium would drastically affect the bid price (let's be real, no one bidding on, say, a Forbidden Planet 1-sheet is that worried about the $29 premium).

No one auction house gets the very best prices every single time, but when dealing with the creme of the crop Heritage consistently hits more home runs than they do singles.

The great thing is, both have excellent systems for keeping track of inventory and moving items along in their system, and both pay on time every time.
Hope your wife doesn't have to worry about it for a long time though
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 07:27:21 AM »
I would suggest the auction house whoever will likely be the easiest for your wife to deal with.

She won't give a crap about your crap and, if she is thinking about this after you've shuffled off into the afterlife, she will want the least number of issues.

And while you might have good relationships with both, these are Buying relationships.  Not Selling.  (cos you don't sell)  So you might need to speak to people who've already sold a heap of stuff and ask after the comparative merits of each.

Sound like a plan?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 03:45:54 PM »
Well, I'm not so much asking you guys what you think I should do, but more what you plan on doing.  Have you thought about it?  Should something sudden happen, will you let your significant other decide, or has it already been discussed?

Room for thoughts, if you will.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 11:09:40 PM »
Well, I'm not so much asking you guys what you think I should do, but more what you plan on doing.  Have you thought about it? 

Yes, donation to a museum.
But I understand that not everyone is in a position to be giving in that way.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 05:07:20 AM »
Well, I'm not so much asking you guys what you think I should do, but more what you plan on doing.  Have you thought about it?  Should something sudden happen, will you let your significant other decide, or has it already been discussed?

Room for thoughts, if you will.

T

Ah, apologies.

Yes, I have catalogued everything with a rough / current value.  And then I have told the lady in question to chuck it all to Ewbanks.  (Purely a UK geographical thing)

Use the inventory to compare any negotiation nonsense and, Best of Luck.

Of course, if time is afforded, then I might just be rid myself but with an eye to which platform gets the best results.  For example, believe it or not, eBay gets by far the best prices for Premiere Brochures, but the auction houses do better in almost every other area.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 07:32:01 PM »
Yes, donation to a museum.
But I understand that not everyone is in a position to be giving in that way.

Well, that's if you have museum worthy posters, which I don't.

I feel like I'm just going to tell her to get in touch with 2-3 collectors I trust and listen to their advice, should the time arise.  Otherwise, burn it all haha!

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 01:09:06 AM »

I feel like I'm just going to tell her to get in touch with 2-3 collectors I trust and listen to their advice, should the time arise.  Otherwise, burn it all haha!

T

1940 is chronologically closer to 1980 than we are right now.  I wasn't part of this hobby in 1980, but I am guessing there were few, if any, movie posters that were considered museum worthy, even those from the 1940s.  Now, here we are in 2021, and many of those posters that were interesting collectibles or trinkets in 1980 are absolutely pieces that people want to put in a museum.  This goes double for a substance (paper) that is suffocating a slow agonizing death as an advertising media of any kind.  What do we give it, 2 decades before paper advertsing of all types goes the way of the rotary phone, butter churn, and steam engine?  I have no doubt you have museum worthy pieces in your collection right now and will have any more before you're pushing up daisies.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:14:53 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 08:04:05 AM »

Disagree, I bet you have several, as do many of us.

Feel free to leave instructions to your wife about letting us forum peeps have first crack before she ships stuff off to an auction house too.  thumbsup.gif

For me, I just told my wife to send the bulk of it to Bruce. I don't like the HA shenanigans with their photo boosting and item descriptions and the like so will never sell there.
Outside of that, I am leaving a few things here and there to friends and family and let the EMP chasers fight over the rest.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:05:26 AM »
I don't know, to me, a museum piece would have to be worth north of $100,000 at the very least.  Meaning that it would have to be something rare enough that it reflects in its price tag.  And when I say $100k, I'm actually being conservative, as I'm much more thinking of $500k and above.  Like a Metropolis, or a Dracula.  Not the little stuff that I collect.  But I could be wrong.  I have been surprised with fine art in the past.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 11:24:20 AM »
I think everyone would have an arbitrary dollar 'value' over what constitutes a piece of being worth as 'museum', but I have also seen Mondo stuff in museums in addition to SW stuff.

Also, what is valuable in a literal sense isn't always what people really want to see or enjoy either...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 11:53:59 AM »
I agree, I think the last quality for an item to be considered museum worthy would be its $ value.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 12:09:37 PM »
I agree, I think the last quality for an item to be considered museum worthy would be its $ value.

I can tell you from personal experience that this is not true.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 12:14:38 PM »
I think everyone would have an arbitrary dollar 'value' over what constitutes a piece of being worth as 'museum', but I have also seen Mondo stuff in museums in addition to SW stuff.

Are you talking about specific exhibits, or gallery showings, or actual museums?  And if so, I’d love to know what museum would show mondo or Star Wars stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 12:17:35 PM »
OK, if it was my Museum I would consider the resale value of the item as less important, but I'm sure you're right.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 12:46:02 PM »
A lot of collectors park their expensive artifacts in museum.  It prevents them from potential theft, humidity/heat damage or most importantly paying a dreadful insurance bill.  So in essence most museums have too much stuff to exhibit properly and must resort to value to get the top of the crop.

T
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 03:42:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 04:48:06 PM »
This thread prompted me to send an email to my wife with some instructions in case I get hit by a bus!

My posters are definitely not museum worthy  ;D

I gave the name of a friend I trust who would handle the prints as he knows that market and we once drunkenly agreed to help each other should that happen to either of us. Then a couple of other friends for the posters.

I'd consign the lot to Bruce, but shipping them all to the US would be such a hassle, I'd advised Propstore and Ewbanks instead. I think when I get older, I'll probably look to sell off everything to remove that burden from friends/family, but that's a few years away (assuming I stay in good health!).

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 05:49:11 PM »
I hear you.  One of the reasons I will never sell is that it's too much of a burden and I don't want to deal with people.

And yeah, the prints, I didn't even think of that.  Not that my collection is great or anything, but I do have 800+ of them.  I never check that market, but I assume some of them might have gone up in value.  I should look into it, because as much as there is a record of what I spent on posters, I rarely spend more than $60-80 on prints so my wife would probably sell them for that much.  I see a lot of people selling their prints for crazy numbers on Ebay, but people can put whatever prices they want on things, there is a reason they're still on Ebay.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2022, 05:50:33 PM »
This thread prompted me to send an email to my wife with some instructions in case I get hit by a bus!

At least it serves a purpose.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline mattsw

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2022, 10:35:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am not a regular on this site.  I pop in from time to time, so I hope you don't mind my putting my two cents worth in.  This thread caught my eye because I have been thinking of this as of late.  I am in my early fifties.  I am unmarried and have two teenage kids. 

Most of my collection consists of lobby cards.  They from the 1920's to 1950's.  While I have purchased a few full sets, more often I scour auction sites for years collecting sets one and two at a time.  My daughter has no interest in older films or movie paper.  My son, who lives with me, might have interest but I doubt it.  When he was young I raised him on classic horror and sci-fi films; so he does have that connection.  But not much beyond that.

The simple answer would be to leave the cards and twenty or so OSs to my kids to send to an auction house and get the money.  But I really do not like the thought of the set being scattered all over the place.  Lately I have had thoughts about giving them to a friend who does appreciate old films and movie paper.  I have enough assets and money going to the kids so this would not really deprive them.

Anyway, my two cents.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 10:20:03 AM »
Like Sean said, I would negotiate the %.  Whoever is going to give them the better rate. Your collection would net quite a return, but the size of it, may scare them both off if trying to sell it all at once.  Neither is going to jump on here and publicly say they will give a better rate than what they advertise.

The other this to consider is your location. HA has a CA office, so the stuff wouldnt have to be shipped if they ran it from there instead of Dallas. Bruce being in MO it would not be cheap getting everything there to process.

Option 3, have your heirs slow burn sell it for max return.  This assumes we are down the road a ways and the kids could help you wife or handle it all.

Option 4, have your wife pallet all the rolled boxes and send it to me and I will maximize the price and send her a check every month  ;D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 04:09:06 PM »
What about you Dale, what are you doing with your million posters?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 01:27:23 PM »
I am gonna have a big tomb built and take it all with me ;)

I told my wife to call Bruce, he is the closest.  Talked to my son a little, he is finishing up college, and I dont think would be ready to decide to keep the collection or sell it off, so I said to just keep that stuff around for a few years. So its kind of split up, inventory go ahead and try to move it, collection, hold a bit then decide.  I have a lot of comics as well, kind of the same story. No golden age stuff, and limited silver, but bronze/copper heavy and a lot of keys from that era, so there would be work pulling keys for grading there too to maximize the return.  I dont even like thinking about it.

I still hear "what am I supposed to do with all this stuff if you die" all the time.

Offline StarryKat

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 07:57:43 AM »
I've thought about this as I have a collection of not very much value but may have a few interesting pieces here and there. I would have the bulk donated to a museum in Tulsa and a few bits and pieces to the BFI if they wanted or the Margaret Herrick Library in LA for researchers to look at.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 06:06:11 PM »
Great input, all.  I think I'll go the Bruce route.  As much as I like HA's selling prices, I have an ethical issue with the amount of money they pocket.  As a buyer, it's fine, but as a seller, 20%+20% is just outrageous to me.  I know Grey has nothing to do with the company's policies, but it just doesn't feel right.  So Emovie wins for me, that is, if they still exist once Bruce decides he's had enough.

T
My Personal Collection