Author Topic: What are your experiences with artofthemovies.co.uk & movieposters.com?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
What are your experiences with these sellers? Are they reputable? I'm looking to buy some LOTR posters and have just ordered and received tracking for this fellowship one (https://artofthemovies.co.uk/products/lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-2001-ds-os-01) even though it's still showing as in stock.

Anyways, are they credible/legit sellers? The prices seem to say yes, but for a listing like this: https://www.movieposters.com/products/lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-mpw-8714, there's not much details on it and they've told me the poster looks blurry on their site because "the scan itself can just be a bit bad".

Obviously want to make sure I'm buying original, authentic one-sheet's that are double-sided.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 02:52:14 AM by ArnieD101 »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: What are your experiences with artofthemovies.co.uk & movieposters.com?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 04:00:24 PM »
What are your experiences with these sellers? Are they reputable? I'm looking to buy some LOTR posters and have just ordered and received tracking for this fellowship one (https://artofthemovies.co.uk/products/lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-2001-ds-os-01) even though it's still showing as in stock.

Anyways, are they credible/legit sellers? The prices seem to say yes, but for a listing like this: https://www.movieposters.com/products/lord-of-the-rings-the-fellowship-of-the-ring-mpw-8714, there's not much details on it and they've told me the poster looks blurry on their site because "the scan itself can just be a bit bad".

Obviously want to make sure I'm buying original, authentic one-sheet's that are double-sided.

That seems to be a FUCKTON of money for that poster.  The other site seems expensive too.  There are a number of dealers that circulate here on APF that will likely serve you more cost-effectively than those sites.  They cater to people that don't know much. And perhaps you don't know much, which is fine. Just be patient and don't be afraid to ask around until you are comfortable.

To answer your original question, though, I'm not aware of any bad conduct by either of those dealers. There's a thread on APF about dealer experiences. Find that, and post there too.  Also, I'm not aware of that particular LOTR poster being reproduced.  While it's not difficult to repro a  DS onesheet, it's not particularly common to do so.  Likely, the poster is authentic, but just priced really high.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Holiday
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 05:11:38 PM »
Anyone who gives me a certificate of authenticity I stay away from.  Period.  They print it themselves and who do they think they are to distribute bullshit like that.  In my view, they're hiding something.

Movieposter.com is legit, but extremely overpriced.

Here is the same poster for $10 and it is LEGIT: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374054058640?hash=item57175bfa90:g:ODkAAOSwv0tVRAic.  Contact the seller if you want an absolute mint one.  I'm sure he can find one for you... maybe for $20.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 07:13:24 PM »
Thanks for your responses! I am relatively new to the world of poster collecting (having only really had reprints in the past), so I've been scouring the web trying to find sites with positive reviews and posting around to see if other people have bought from them. I figured at that price for the fellowship one, it has to be authentic, so hopefully I haven't been scammed (I don't know how a business would be able to advertise as original and then sell you a fake without other people picking up on it and reporting them for shady business practices like false advertising). The Movieposters.com fellowship poster is listed at double the price I paid for the artofthemovies.co.uk one!

I'm always suspicious of buying anything for too cheap as I know these films are now almost 20 years old so it makes me wonder why someone would sell an original one-sheet for US$8 while reprints cost the same amount in my local stores (kmart, target etc.).

I'll post a few photos of the poster when it arrives so you guys can see it as I see it :)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 07:30:24 PM »
Movieposters.com is totally legit.  I can vouch.  Still, it boggles the mind to think than  LOTR Fellowship would be worth more than say, $40, but what do I know. (sidenote:Two Towers was my fave in the series)

Emovieposter.com has monthly auctions as T said, your poster is likely to turn up soon for a fraction of that price.

That said, overpaying for a piece is the number one lesson everyone learns when getting into poster or any other collecting.  don't feel bad we've  all been there. 

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »
Ok cool because their prices are much lower than that of artofthemovie.co.uk so I was a bit on the fence with why that is even though they've reiterated to me that "The photos online are exact scans of the posters but sometimes the scan itself can just be a bit bad but has nothing to do with the poster!"

For the life of me I can't seem to find a fellowship one for the price you've mentioned! Maybe I'm just super suspicious of paying so little for something I think would be worth the amount I did pay. I mean I don't regret paying the amount I did especially if it isn't a reproduction or reprint and is actually a one sheet, double sided poster from the time (given I love these films), but yeah if I can find the same for cheaper and know that it is authentic, I'd jump at that.

Two Towers is my favourite as well and I've started looking at emovieposter.com to potentially bid on Two Towers (and ROT when it turns up!). Shipping to my country might be a fair bit though (Australia), but even if it all adds up to AUD $100 I'd be ok with that :)

Edit: I've had a look at the one you've listed and am watching it! What do those auctions tend to end up at if you know?

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 08:23:02 PM »
https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/FELLOWSHIP%2520OF%2520THE%2520RING/searchfield/title/search/LORD%2520OF%2520THE%2520RINGS%253A%2520THE%2520FELLOWSHIP%2520OF%2520THE%2520RING/all.html

check out the "auction history" for any poster on their site to give you a good idea. 
Seems that the fellowship poster you bought is an advance, Bruce calls it "cast style".  Also seems price is trending up since 2022....I guess it is less common than the other one sheets for this movie

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:12 PM »
https://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/FELLOWSHIP%2520OF%2520THE%2520RING/searchfield/title/search/LORD%2520OF%2520THE%2520RINGS%253A%2520THE%2520FELLOWSHIP%2520OF%2520THE%2520RING/all.html

check out the "auction history" for any poster on their site to give you a good idea. 
Seems that the fellowship poster you bought is an advance, Bruce calls it "cast style".  Also seems price is trending up since 2022....I guess it is less common than the other one sheets for this movie

I will check that out now, thanks :)

And oh ok that's interesting! The fellowship ones in their auction history still seem to have sold for considerably less than what I paid, but it is what it is! At least I have a general idea of what to look out for. Is Bruce the owner of eMoviePosters?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 09:52:13 PM »
The poster for $10 is absolutely legit.  The Ebay seller is very well known to all of us and we can ALL guarantee the poster's authenticity.  If I were you, I would cancel the sale and wait for a cheaper copy, if you don't want to buy the Ebay one.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 09:54:54 PM »
Movie posters.com is legit. But overpriced like others have said. They have a store  I have been to awhile ago a couple of times. I usually buy when they have a sale or harder to find items…

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 09:57:56 PM »
eatbrie is correct - The Fellowship poster is 100% legit, and from one of the very best sellers of new movie posters. You can never go wrong ordering with him.

Two Towers/Return King - check out this site as well, a very well known seller who deals in nothing but originals
https://www.mpb.auction/?s=lord+of+the+rings&post_type=product
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 10:00:35 PM »
I figured at that price for the fellowship one, it has to be authentic, so hopefully I haven't been scammed (I don't know how a business would be able to advertise as original and then sell you a fake without other people picking up on it and reporting them for shady business practices like false advertising).

Btw, pricing means nothing.  Any dealer can put a dollar value on a poster, authentic or not, and it is completely arbitrary and certainly not a sign of authenticity.  Actually, the more expensive a poster is, the more people believe its authenticity.  It's an old trick and it works.

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 10:02:15 PM »
eatbrie is correct - The Fellowship poster is 100% legit, and from one of the very best sellers of new movie posters. You can never go wrong ordering with him.

Thank you.

And Dale, you're welcome, even though it doesn't seem the collector trusts you hahaha.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 10:11:48 PM »
The poster for $10 is absolutely legit.  The Ebay seller is very well known to all of us and we can ALL guarantee the poster's authenticity.  If I were you, I would cancel the sale and wait for a cheaper copy, if you don't want to buy the Ebay one.

T

Arghh it says he doesn't ship to Australia! I mean it's too late to cancel my order anyways, but when it arrives I will share here for you guys to have a look as well! If it's anything but authentic, I think paypal would be able to step in anyways, but I'm sure it won't need to come to that :D

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 11:18:11 PM »
At that price, I would expect it to be ABSOLUTELY MINT, not a tear, pin hole, crack, fold, nothing.  Pristine.  Hopefully that's what you get and that's what every single poster post 1990 should be.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 11:24:42 PM »
Arghh it says he doesn't ship to Australia! I mean it's too late to cancel my order anyways, but when it arrives I will share here for you guys to have a look as well! If it's anything but authentic, I think paypal would be able to step in anyways, but I'm sure it won't need to come to that :D

I'm sure it will be an original poster and awesome. Make sure you post some pics! bed1   :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:25:52 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2022, 11:57:51 PM »
I'm sure it will be an original poster and awesome. Make sure you post some pics! bed1   :)

Thank you and the other users for all your advice! I will send some pics in this thread come next week sometime (which is when it is supposed to arrive). Definitely a lesson I've learned as well :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:59:52 PM by ArnieD101 »

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 12:12:35 AM »
My LOTR I have left are single sided, these are lovingly called producers copies these days. In the late 90's these would be , anything not theatrical or late in the run ran out of double sided distribution. 100% legit straight from New Line, but we all know the market on SS vs DS on this title.

Now the shipping to AU.  Here is the problem. It cost $50 to get a tube to AU these days. That is beyond ridiculous. The next problem is, unless you ship in concrete, the damage rate is running 10%+ regardless of how thick your tube is or what it is made of and no shipping company refunds the cost of shipping. So it just is not financially feasible to ship there any more.  I still ship to folks that buy in count or the long time buyers that have my info to direct purchase, but like I have said before, its like a global conspiracy is out there to kill international commerce with the cost of shipping now.  When you can average down to a few dollars a poster for shipping for a large order, then insurance coverage is ok. When its a 20 poster and 50 shipping, thats a no go.  I dont like it anymore than anyone else. I used to be able to ship multiple posters any where in the world for 12.00 :(

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 12:45:18 AM »
I'm always suspicious of buying anything for too cheap as I know these films are now almost 20 years old so it makes me wonder why someone would sell an original one-sheet for US$8 while reprints cost the same amount in my local stores (kmart, target etc.).

That's a good question.  If I may speculate:

Maybe it's simply not that rare.  These were major films with a very widespread release, and very well-received at the time.  So not only was there a huge number of posters produced, but people were probably more likely to hold onto these than they would be for some more obscure film that didn't have such a popular reception.  Further, by the 2000s, movie posters had been well established as a collectable item.  So even though this poster is 20 years old, there are likely a lot out there.  And just because a poster is "original," doesn't automatically make it expensive.  Lots of factors are at play in determining value.

And then you need to think like a criminal for a moment: If you were to invest in the equipment needed to convincingly reproduce full-size studio release posters, and assume all the risks involved, would you really sell your posters for $10?  I mean... after all that work?

More likely, you have a totally legit seller who has a very large inventory (multiple posters for the same titles), and they want to move their posters more quickly by pricing competitively, rather than pricing it high and having to wait months to make a sale.  A legit dealer can make good money by selling in high volume (rather than high prices).  This is hardly true for someone who has to make all the posters themselves. 

But I totally hear you.  "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," right?  But that doesn't mean there aren't still good deals to be had.  On eBay, check the seller's feedback.  If they are a fraudster, you'll usually see the red flags.  And of course, when in doubt, ask some experienced collectors about a seller's reputation, like you're doing here. 

And yes, if you ever do find that someone has sold you a knock-off reprint that they had described as an "original," that is a huge deal.  It's fraud, and you would probably be protected by eBay and PayPal's buyer protection, as well as a whole bunch of laws.  We don't throw around the term "original" lightly in this community, nor is it used lightly in any other collectables market.  The veteran members here would never endorse a seller known to have passed off any fakes as "originals."  In fact, that would be a surefire way to unleash the Orcs! 

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 12:49:59 AM »
My LOTR I have left are single sided, these are lovingly called producers copies these days. In the late 90's these would be , anything not theatrical or late in the run ran out of double sided distribution. 100% legit straight from New Line, but we all know the market on SS vs DS on this title.

Now the shipping to AU.  Here is the problem. It cost $50 to get a tube to AU these days. That is beyond ridiculous. The next problem is, unless you ship in concrete, the damage rate is running 10%+ regardless of how thick your tube is or what it is made of and no shipping company refunds the cost of shipping. So it just is not financially feasible to ship there any more.  I still ship to folks that buy in count or the long time buyers that have my info to direct purchase, but like I have said before, its like a global conspiracy is out there to kill international commerce with the cost of shipping now.  When you can average down to a few dollars a poster for shipping for a large order, then insurance coverage is ok. When its a 20 poster and 50 shipping, thats a no go.  I dont like it anymore than anyone else. I used to be able to ship multiple posters any where in the world for 12.00 :( .

Thanks for letting me know mate! Coincidentally, I was just looking to message you on ebay but could see that I was not able to. The main reason I'd look at a DS one is in case I wanted to put it in a light box at any point down the track. I'm not a collector by any stretch of the word, but I do love my LOTR so naturally I would want to get at the least the 3 main posters of the franchise. I'm not too fazed on shipping. If I can spend under AUD120 for a DS, one sheet poster and shipping, I'd rather do that then spend the AUD 323 I just spent on a fellowship one  Doh.gif.

Do let me know if you decide to change your shipping to AUS. I've never bought from you but others are praising. How much would you usually sell a DS fellowship one for? Evidently you can bump prices up to a crazy amount and people like myself would pay (especially if we're not versed in the world and prices of movie posters), and even for a SS one like the one you have for under $10 USD you could list for higher and probably sell it.

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2022, 12:55:14 AM »
That's a good question.  If I may speculate:

Maybe it's simply not that rare.  These were major films with a very widespread release, and very well-received at the time.  So not only was there a huge number of posters produced, but people were probably more likely to hold onto these than they would be for some more obscure film that didn't have such a popular reception.  Further, by the 2000s, movie posters had been well established as a collectable item.  So even though this poster is 20 years old, there are likely a lot out there.  And just because a poster is "original," doesn't automatically make it expensive.  Lots of factors are at play in determining value.

And then you need to think like a criminal for a moment: If you were to invest in the equipment needed to convincingly reproduce full-size studio release posters, and assume all the risks involved, would you really sell your posters for $10?  I mean... after all that work?

More likely, you have a totally legit seller who has a very large inventory (multiple posters for the same titles), and they want to move their posters more quickly by pricing competitively, rather than pricing it high and having to wait months to make a sale.  A legit dealer can make good money by selling in high volume (rather than high prices).  This is hardly true for someone who has to make all the posters themselves. 

But I totally hear you.  "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is," right?  But that doesn't mean there aren't still good deals to be had.  On eBay, check the seller's feedback.  If they are a fraudster, you'll usually see the red flags.  And of course, when in doubt, ask some experienced collectors about a seller's reputation, like you're doing here. 

And yes, if you ever do find that someone has sold you a knock-off reprint that they had described as an "original," that is a huge deal.  It's fraud, and you would probably be protected by eBay and PayPal's buyer protection, as well as a whole bunch of laws.  We don't throw around the term "original" lightly in this community, nor is it used lightly in any other collectables market.  The veteran members here would never endorse a seller known to have passed off any fakes as "originals."  In fact, that would be a surefire way to unleash the Orcs!

Thank you for the detailed response! You raise some interesting points. I guess I just have a knack for assuming I'm being scammed in some capacity (I didn't buy 27 LOTR pop funkos for AUD $245 because I thought "who in there right mind would sell for that much", but alas, they were legit and someone else bought them).

I guess for people already well versed in buying and selling movie posters they would know where to look and who to buy from. I've been asking around elsewhere to try and find reputable sources to buy from, and then stumbled upon this forum which has given me more reasonable responses then anywhere else.

My thought process on my pricey purchase is "if they sold fake copies to others, surely someone would have pulled them up on it and they wouldn't be allowed to advertise their products as originals", but who knows. I will post the photos of the poster when it comes next week so all of your eyes can make an assessment as well!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 01:08:30 AM by ArnieD101 »

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2022, 12:09:19 AM »
No problem!  I suppose the nerdy side of me loves conversations about value speculation because there's so much "number theory" involved.  Just take supply and demand, for example.  What percentage of LOTR poster collectors bought their posters at the time of the film's release, compared to how many are buying today?  How many are left, and have the ratios changed over time?  There are so many intersecting bell curves (i.e. "normal distribution curves," which are measures of randomness and probability, but also occur in nature), it's fascinating.  Plus numbers get a lot more interesting when you throw in dollar signs, and add a few of our favorite movies.  :)

[...] I guess for people already well versed in buying and selling movie posters they would know where to look and who to buy from. I've been asking around elsewhere to try and find reputable sources to buy from, and then stumbled upon this forum which has given me more reasonable responses then anywhere else.  [...]

Meh, I've been buying posters for years, and I still have occasional questions on where to find certain things.  I grew up with eBay, and that's what turned me on to collecting.  Admittedly, eBay has changed a lot over the years, and there are some skeezy sellers on there to avoid, so you did right to ask.  There definitely are scammers out there, but as you learn more, it will be easier to spot the signs to avoid most of them. 

The other thing I used to do to find poster sources, back in the early 2000s, was just using search engines.  Back then, it was incredibly different, because search engines would turn up small sites that would never turn up in search results today.  Today, it's 10 pages of Amazon and IMDb movie listings.  You get the idea.  A lot of the "little guys" probably aren't even around anymore, in these days of search engines optimized for eBay, etc. 

But when I was starting out, I over-paid for a poster from a well-known website, and paid way more than what you did.  Not going to throw shade, because I respect the company, but let's just say it was from an upscale gallery in New York City with an Italian-sounding name.  To their credit, they did negotiate, and I love the poster.  But I don't buy from "galleries" anymore.  Too rich for my blood. 

Anyway, welcome to the hobby.  I always enjoy chatting with new collectors, they bring a certain spark and energy to the forum. 

Offline ArnieD101

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 01:08:44 AM »
No problem!  I suppose the nerdy side of me loves conversations about value speculation because there's so much "number theory" involved.  Just take supply and demand, for example.  What percentage of LOTR poster collectors bought their posters at the time of the film's release, compared to how many are buying today?  How many are left, and have the ratios changed over time?  There are so many intersecting bell curves (i.e. "normal distribution curves," which are measures of randomness and probability, but also occur in nature), it's fascinating.  Plus numbers get a lot more interesting when you throw in dollar signs, and add a few of our favorite movies.  :)

Meh, I've been buying posters for years, and I still have occasional questions on where to find certain things.  I grew up with eBay, and that's what turned me on to collecting.  Admittedly, eBay has changed a lot over the years, and there are some skeezy sellers on there to avoid, so you did right to ask.  There definitely are scammers out there, but as you learn more, it will be easier to spot the signs to avoid most of them. 

The other thing I used to do to find poster sources, back in the early 2000s, was just using search engines.  Back then, it was incredibly different, because search engines would turn up small sites that would never turn up in search results today.  Today, it's 10 pages of Amazon and IMDb movie listings.  You get the idea.  A lot of the "little guys" probably aren't even around anymore, in these days of search engines optimized for eBay, etc. 

But when I was starting out, I over-paid for a poster from a well-known website, and paid way more than what you did.  Not going to throw shade, because I respect the company, but let's just say it was from an upscale gallery in New York City with an Italian-sounding name.  To their credit, they did negotiate, and I love the poster.  But I don't buy from "galleries" anymore.  Too rich for my blood. 

Anyway, welcome to the hobby.  I always enjoy chatting with new collectors, they bring a certain spark and energy to the forum.

I guess with a lot of those questions around value speculation we'll never truly know the answers to those questions, but definitely gets you thinking!

For things that I'm familiar with, I generally have a good idea of where to look to buy certain things, but I guess when it comes to proper collecting (especially with something like a poster where there are so many variables to consider and so many potential duds out there), I'm obviously not going to be that familiar.

Plus most of you guys have been doing this for a while so those "little guys" I wouldn't have even considered (whatever ones are left). Heck, when I opened emovieposters I thought no way I'd buy from there as there is just so much going on on that site and it is a dated design. That said, I probably will nab something on there now.

You live and learn! At least I know now not to jump at pricey purchases just because I think by them being pricey, they must be valued as such lol
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 01:10:03 AM by ArnieD101 »

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2022, 03:19:15 AM »
As T said, for that price, poster must be mint if not extra mint.
Yep, price doesn't mean much, as T said, anyone can put the price they want.  Actually, this is why you should never go to Ebay to get a valuation.  Putting high price is a common practice, it is called "price anchoring" in business and pretty common (put the price high so that customer will refer when making decision).
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.