Author Topic: Bubbles after linenbacking  (Read 2217 times)

Offline TerryKeefe

• Beginner
Bubbles after linenbacking
« on: January 20, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
Hi: I'm new to the Forum. I recently had 3 posters linen backed. One of them is this LET IT BE poster, and you can see there are ripples, or bubbles, at the top. The same is the case on the other posters. They weren't there prior to the linen backing.

Is this something that can be fixed? Is it considered a major defect?

Thanks for listening,
Terry

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Bubbles after linenbacking
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
 welcome1 Terry

Were they like that before you put them in the frames?  If you don't mind me asking, who did the linen backing?

Offline TerryKeefe

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 04:11:34 PM »
Thanks for responding. Yes, they were there before being framed.

Posterfix did the backing. Michael's the framing.

Thanks again.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 05:14:05 PM »
Thanks for responding. Yes, they were there before being framed.

Posterfix did the backing. Michael's the framing.

Thanks again.

Based on the linenbacking results, I had a feeling it was Posterfix.  There are others who've had similar results, with the bubbles, waviness, etc.  A proper linen backing job will completely flatten the poster.  There are some other threads here about different folks, including Posterfix, if you want to check them out.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 07:48:15 PM »
I am no expert in linenbacking  ;D but this is totally unacceptable.  Personally, I would have them redo it for free.  I have never seen this on any of my linenbacked posters, and yes, I would consider this a major defect.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline TerryKeefe

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
Thanks a lot for the responses. I suspected as much and will try for the redo. Much appreciated.

Offline TerryKeefe

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 09:04:11 PM »
One more question - who in the NYC or Brooklyn area is great for linenbacking if I have to go elsewhere with fixing this?

Thanks again.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2023, 02:36:37 PM »
One more question - who in the NYC or Brooklyn area is great for linenbacking if I have to go elsewhere with fixing this?

Thanks again.

If the other ones are not extremely rare, valuable, sentimental, etc., it might be best to purchase another of each.  Another restoration company fixing these would probably require removing the backing and re-backing them.  It's your call of course, but it is a more difficult process.  Maybe someone here can recommend good restoration folks in the NYC area if you want to go that route with someone local.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2023, 02:42:43 PM »
I am no expert in linenbacking  ;D but this is totally unacceptable.  Personally, I would have them redo it for free.  I have never seen this on any of my linenbacked posters, and yes, I would consider this a major defect.

T

It would be interesting to see how Posterfix handles this, if Terry decides to try to ask them to fix the issues.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2023, 03:13:44 PM »
I've never used these people, Posterfix, and from what I'm hearing here, no one should.  Are they just that bad?  How do they stay in business?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2023, 05:09:15 PM »
I've never used these people, Posterfix, and from what I'm hearing here, no one should.  Are they just that bad?  How do they stay in business?

T

They seem to stay relatively busy.  Seems like the reviews from Posterfix' customers are overwhelmingly negative, but maybe there are a lot of folks who've had good work from them and haven't shared their reviews.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2023, 06:38:08 PM »
They are so many people who do it right, I don’t get the point of wasting time, money and posters on people who don’t know what they’re doing.  But that’s just me.  They prob attract folks who don’t know better.  A lot of dealers who charge outrageous prices survive bc of newbies.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2023, 07:26:42 PM »
They are so many people who do it right, I don’t get the point of wasting time, money and posters on people who don’t know what they’re doing.  But that’s just me.  They prob attract folks who don’t know better.  A lot of dealers who charge outrageous prices survive bc of newbies.

T

Yeah, I thought I was sending one of my favorite posters to one of the best restoration companies, who could work magic, and ended up with a torn, bubbly, mismatched, mess.  From all the videos I've seen on Posterfix' YouTube channel, I haven't seen any that I thought their work was very good, but maybe there are different guys doing the work in the videos and doing the work for many customers.  I like the style of their videos on their YouTube channel.

Offline BwanaDik

• Hobbyist
    • Kenyan & African Vintage Art Posters
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 12:21:58 AM »
Well, if they were there before framing then it is the linenbacking process that fails.   It seems that the first step was (acid free paper on canvas) not left to fully dry, Dario said it well here, it requires 24h minimum to fully dry in the right environment; if poster glued to early, it will move along with the paper drying.   I don't see any bubbles thought.
A too tied frame or a frame placed where environment condition aren't right can produce such waves... 
A DIY method would be to remove it, iron it slightly (iron the back and use wax paper) and keep it flat under heavy weight for some weeks, then repeat the process.
Crucifixion? Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 08:27:36 AM »
Looks like a framing issue to me - would not be surprised at such poor work from Michael's.  I bet they rarely see posters on linenback.  Too bad you can't take it out of the frame and check (which is why I only buy front loading frames from Spotlightdisplays.com).  Its pretty obvious -what did they say when you picked it up? I would try there first. At the price they charge definitely put up a stink. 

If willing to ship your poster to Toronto for backing - send to https://www.backingtothefuture.com/ Dan is the man.

Good luck.  Great poster choice though!  thumbsup.gif

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2023, 08:17:49 PM »
Based on the photo, the waviness on the upper edge seemed frame related to me when I first saw it.  Sounds like there may be additional bubbling also, which could also possibly be caused by not removing all the air pockets during the linen backing.

Terry, as I and others have said in framing threads, waves like that can be caused when the frame is too small for the poster and/or the poster is held in too tightly by the frame hardware - it seems to be worse with the metal curved clips on metal frames.

Vick, when I first read that I thought you were going to say Dario.  I don't recall where in Canada he is but there are a lot of good reviews about him from folks here.  I was just checking the backing to the future website and it looks like a good place.  Personally, being in the USA and from prior work I've sent to several companies, I'd send it to Poster Conservation.  They did excellent work on modern glossies, similar to Terry's poster, they are good people, have good prices, etc.  I also really like Poster Mountain.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2023, 09:19:52 PM »
Looks like a framing issue to me - would not be surprised at such poor work from Michael's.  I bet they rarely see posters on linenback.  Too bad you can't take it out of the frame and check (which is why I only buy front loading frames from Spotlightdisplays.com).  Its pretty obvious -what did they say when you picked it up? I would try there first. At the price they charge definitely put up a stink. 

If willing to ship your poster to Toronto for backing - send to https://www.backingtothefuture.com/ Dan is the man.

Good luck.  Great poster choice though!  thumbsup.gif

This goes to show you that if you don't know anything about a particular subject, maybe it would be wise to just shut the fuck up  ;D  CV might be onto something here.  Maybe it's not the linenbacking guys and the blame should be put squarely onto the framers.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2023, 03:29:27 PM »
When the broken-hearted in this world agree, there will be an answer – let it be.