Author Topic: 17x24 "Mini 1-Sheets"?  (Read 6444 times)

Disheveledamethyst

17x24 "Mini 1-Sheets"?
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:52:05 AM »
I know it's not uncommon for miniposters to be sent to theatres in packs of fifty as novelties to customers to take home. However, I've found a few 80s posters on eBay that measure 17x24 that are simply touted as "mini 1-sheets". They are claimed as authentic and quite frankly don't look so bad if I want something bigger than a daybill but smaller than a 1-sheet.

But what are these? Are they actually authentic movie posters? Are they like the novelties you find next to the salt and napkins at theatres today? Something feels off about them. Like they lack integrity. Can anybody shed some light on these?

Juli

Re: 17x24 "Mini 1-Sheets"?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »
I've gotten many of these. They are at the theaters near the desk where you buy your movie tickets. They appear to come in two different sizes (depending on film) - the 17 x 24 that you mention and 11 x 17. As you said they do appear to be about 50 of them that the theater gets for each film. Some films never get these mini posters. I don't know much more about them other than that.

~ Juli

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 10:52:44 AM »
I've gotten many of these. They are at the theaters near the desk where you buy your movie tickets. They appear to come in two different sizes (depending on film) - the 17 x 24 that you mention and 11 x 17. As you said they do appear to be about 50 of them that the theater gets for each film. Some films never get these mini posters. I don't know much more about them other than that.

~ Juli

Thanks very much for clarifying, that's what I thought. A few for Raiders popped up and I was considering buying one because they aren't folded and I thought I liked the format better than the daybill. But honestly I think I'll still opt for the daybill because A) It doesn't feel as much of a novelty and B) I like the text wording better.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »
The mini posters that are handed out at theaters seem like a more recent phenomenon.  It also just so happens that 11x17 is probably THE MOST common size for crappy knock off posters--that size doesn't require an expensive printer.

I personally never would buy any of these small posters... and even if I did I would never buy them for films as old as Raiders!

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:52:49 PM »
The mini posters that are handed out at theaters seem like a more recent phenomenon.  It also just so happens that 11x17 is probably THE MOST common size for crappy knock off posters--that size doesn't require an expensive printer.

I personally never would buy any of these small posters... and even if I did I would never buy them for films as old as Raiders!

These were 17x24 though, which seems like such a random size. I think Mondo posters often come out 18x24 though? So they can't be that hard to print. I've refrained for now but I'm on a "small paper" hook right now and it was certainly tempting. But I don't want something that isn't validly collectible.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »
I have Disney mini-one sheets going back to the '87 release of Cinderella (glass slipper version).  For other studios you didn't really see mini's until the past 5 years or so.

The one exception is the Topps (the baseball card company) series, which consisted of folded versions of some of the bigger hits of the late 70's (Jaws, Smokey & the Bandit, etc.).

Anything listed as a mini-one sheet, other than those mentioned above, is more likely a reprint than not...