Author Topic: November 2021  (Read 11684 times)

Offline Pelham

• Beginner
Re: November 2021
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
Loving that The Fog poster of T’s.
Here’s a couple of Locandinas I’ve picked up recently to boost my ever growing collection of smaller sized posters. Particularly enjoying Burton’s pissed off expression for Villain :)  The Logan’s Run one… it may be a bit yellowed around one edge but I was simply drawn in by that design work.

J

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2021, 09:37:28 PM »
So?  What did you guys end up getting from HA?  Show us the goods :)

On my end, a couple of posters, including this Dial M for my Hitchcock collection.  It's linenbacked, which is unfortunate, but I've always loved this Martinati design, so I'm willing to make a transgression.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2021, 10:41:52 PM »
Very nice Thierry congrats!
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2021, 10:43:54 PM »
Finally got my hands on this one:

Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 06:36:57 AM »
Lovely T!  Linen backed or otherwise.

But to answer your question, nothing at all sir.

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 08:42:15 AM »

Fantastic artwork and I make an exception for linen-backed two and four foglios because it's a lot easier to display these larger posters. The only drawback with this one is the image - my wife wouldn't allow me to put it up if I was lucky enough to own it.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 06:12:50 PM »
Hahaha that's exactly what my wife said ;)  I don't get it.  I was actually - a rarity for me - hoping to put it in the frame, but she said absolutely not.

Great Kiss of Death, Chris.  I own the French version of that title which I absolutely love.   notworthy.gif

T
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:13:53 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 07:22:56 PM »
Working on my Hitchcock!

I also got this FOLDED Lifeboat :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »
Nothing too ground breaking for me.  I needed one of these, especially since my son is a huge fan:

I also got these recently:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 11:42:26 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 02:42:26 AM »

Snagged these 2 in the auction on Saturday. Gone with the Wind was my grandparents first date in London right before my grandpa entered combat in ww2. He was from New York and happened to meet my grandma by chance. This movie sparked their life together. After 76 years of marriage my grandfather passed away on November 11th. We laid him to rest in military fashion on November 19th, the day before the HA auction. I delivered his eulogy and was able to land a few Gone with the Wind puns as I told his epic life store.

I won the “picture frame” version for what I thought was a good price. I like the “dancing scene” one even more and I was shocked if sold for as little as if did, so I picked it up as well! And it’s unrestored. I will likely frame the “dancing scene” and keep the other one stored properly. A few months ago I knew I was going to bid on one as it’s a very sentimental film for me.

Sorry for the long story. I’m happy to have a small community of people who like this stuff and get it.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 10:44:34 AM »
Fabulous. I'm a big fan of Gone With the Wind. My best pieces that I own are the 6sh from 1954 and 1sh from 1947.

Love the Frame poster.

Snagged these 2 in the auction on Saturday. Gone with the Wind was my grandparents first date in London right before my grandpa entered combat in ww2. He was from New York and happened to meet my grandma by chance. This movie sparked their life together. After 76 years of marriage my grandfather passed away on November 11th. We laid him to rest in military fashion on November 19th, the day before the HA auction. I delivered his eulogy and was able to land a few Gone with the Wind puns as I told his epic life store.

I won the “picture frame” version for what I thought was a good price. I like the “dancing scene” one even more and I was shocked if sold for as little as if did, so I picked it up as well! And it’s unrestored. I will likely frame the “dancing scene” and keep the other one stored properly. A few months ago I knew I was going to bid on one as it’s a very sentimental film for me.

Sorry for the long story. I’m happy to have a small community of people who like this stuff and get it.

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2021, 01:09:47 PM »
Incredible pick up, Riley!  I think you should get them both framed up and on the wall.

Also, great family history!

Brian

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2021, 03:57:51 PM »
Fabulous. I'm a big fan of Gone With the Wind. My best pieces that I own are the 6sh from 1954 and 1sh from 1947.

Love the Frame poster.

Awesome! It’s cool to see other people that love the movie. It’s hard to deny its greatness. The best example of the studio system at work in my opinion. Also, one of the best music scores in all of film.

Thanks!

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
Incredible pick up, Riley!  I think you should get them both framed up and on the wall.

Also, great family history!

Brian

Maybe I will toss them both on the wall. I think they’d compliment each other well enough…. Plus my wife said she’s cool with it.

Thanks!

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2021, 07:00:57 PM »
I recently picked up these GWTW lobbies. They are trimmed, but only the blank border. It is pretty incredible to own something from when the movie was released initially.

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:42 PM »
I recently picked up these GWTW lobbies. They are trimmed, but only the blank border. It is pretty incredible to own something from when the movie was released initially.

That’s awesome! I actually saw these on eBay and passed due to the trimming. The price was pretty fair if I remember correctly! I really just wanted to throw down on the heritage auction. I sold off a good bit of what I had to compete.

I agree, it’s awesome to think of these things being displayed in late 1939 in a theater!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2021, 07:19:50 PM »
Cool GWtW posters.  It's nice to see this movie still has its fans, regardless of the politically correct.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2021, 07:39:34 PM »
Cool GWtW posters.  It's nice to see this movie still has its fans, regardless of the politically correct.

T

Thank you!

I read an interview somewhere that basically said something to the effect of “Gone with the Wind has its historical issues, but the bigger problem is that it’s just a very good movie”.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »
Couldn't agree more.  I'm about to buy a large French poster for the title, probably the only poster of its kind left from the original release.  It was re-released in France in 1954 but my poster predates that.  Still arguing the price but will post when/if I get it. 

I also own this double panel French poster of the Atlanta scene signed Roger Soubie and not the "D'Apres Roger Soubie" restrike, like the one HA just sold.  "D'Apres" means that it is the original design, but not the same colors, thus not what the designer originally intended.  I don't want to clutter this thread with posters I've owned for years, so you can see it on my website.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2021, 02:38:18 PM »
That’s awesome! I actually saw these on eBay and passed due to the trimming. The price was pretty fair if I remember correctly! I really just wanted to throw down on the heritage auction. I sold off a good bit of what I had to compete.

I agree, it’s awesome to think of these things being displayed in late 1939 in a theater!

Yeah it ended up being around 40 bucks a card...whiiiiich I couldnt pass up haha

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2021, 12:22:55 AM »
Antoine: Very nice choices!  I was so very tempted on the Lost Planet six sheet and watched it for many days.  I'm so glad you got it!

T: Fantastic Martinati art on your Dial M!  Am I missing something as it would look great framed on the wall.  What worries the Mrs.?  And, Lifeboat is a classic image.

Kovacs: Nice condition Thai Beast Master!

Riley540: Man, those are two very nice posters for GWTW!  Thanks for sharing your family story, too.

Starling: Forty bucks a card for original GWTW lcs?!  Even trimmmed, that is a great price!  Nice going.

Okie

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2021, 03:43:49 PM »
Riley, thank you for sharing that lovely story about how your grandparents met, and sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing.

Thanks Okie, it's a fun poster indeed!  I also have the one-sheet, with a different image in a similarly pulpy style.

I only got a couple of pieces from Heritage (which I will post once I get them), as I already own most of the sci-fi, horror and fantasy titles that they were offering this time.  Also, the few posters that I didn't already have were all linenbacked, which I'm always very reluctant to get unless a folded copy is really hard to find, or if it's a very large size that would be easier to frame that way (say a US 6-sheet or an Italian 4F).

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2021, 04:55:27 PM »
Love that Thai Beastmaster, Schan! Tongdee is amazing.

The two Gone with the Wind posters are special with that back story...how lovely to be reminded of your Grandparents every time you see those beauties on the wall. Thanks for sharing, riley540

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2021, 01:30:11 PM »
T: Fantastic Martinati art on your Dial M!  Am I missing something as it would look great framed on the wall.  What worries the Mrs.?  And, Lifeboat is a classic image.

Okie

Well, you know that in general, I have no desire to display anything.  I'm down to one poster up on my walls (still the French Laura) and I don't think a woman being strangled and reaching out for help is appropriate for 3 kids) 

You tell me ;)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2021, 08:46:23 PM »
Ah, now I get it, T. Point taken.  I've had wild posters up when the kids were young, though I don't think we had strangling either. 

Watch that fog!  Okie

Well, you know that in general, I have no desire to display anything.  I'm down to one poster up on my walls (still the French Laura) and I don't think a woman being strangled and reaching out for help is appropriate for 3 kids) 

You tell me ;)

T