Author Topic: October 2021  (Read 6992 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: October 2021
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 03:53:44 PM »
Sometimes it’s near impossible to find a poster folded.  Laura is one of my favorite movies, so I had to own it all.  I actually own a 6 sheet on the title, along with a 3 sheet and a bunch of other formats, and it was impossible to find it folded.  Maybe one day :). If I can’t find it folded and I must own it, then I’ll cave and get the dreaded linen.

And I agree, I usually pass on most of HA stuff because it’s linenbacked.  I don’t understand this obsession that people have with linen.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2022, 06:30:30 PM »
I don’t understand this obsession that people have with linen.

thinking out loud, i blame the dealers and auction houses

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2022, 10:27:53 AM »
As much as I will always vastly prefer a folded copy over a linenbacked one, I can see the benefit of using linen for large paper (such as 3-sheets and 6-sheets, as well as Italian 4F), since the added support makes handling and framing easier.  However, I really don't understand the need to put one-sheets on linen, unless it's in such a poor condition that there is no other alternative to preserve it.  Most of the linenbacked one-sheets I see on the market certainly do not warrant such a treatment, at least in my eyes.  To this day, even though I have relented on my anti-linen stance when it comes to large paper for certain titles that are impossible to find otherwise, I have not acquired a single linenbacked one-sheet (even though it's getting increasingly difficult to find folded copies for certain titles that I'm looking for).   

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2022, 02:55:21 PM »
I also have linenbacked posters, like my quad of Hound of the Baskerville (or my medium French poster for Alice in Wonderland), because I had waited too long to find a folded poster.

But I'm still afraid that the original poster was very damaged before linen.
Like this french example (not mine) :

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2022, 11:31:32 PM »
Yes, that’s a pretty rare poster and in this condition it does make sense to have it linenbacked.  But if you can ever find a folded copy, which you prob won’t, you should trade them :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)