Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 523075 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2012, 09:24:55 PM »
If you try your best you'll find a poster that is pretty valuable, let's say up to a $1000 which may even be a little attractive.

That is quite a generalization Wim... you clearly aren't trying very hard:

Breakfast at Tiffany's 1-sheet -- $305
In a Lonely Place French 1-panel -- $550
Lot of 18 Star Wars trilogy posters  -- $50
Schindler's List Saul Bass 1-sheet -- $211
Schindler's List Saul Bass 1-sheet -- $350
Don't Bother to Knock 1-sheet -- $350
Niagara 1-sheet -- $150
(2) King Kong heralds - $35
I'm sure I'm missing plenty more...

And I'm not even counting my Magnum Force 40x60 I got for $125 as that was from a garage sale. :)  All of the above were won at auction.  If they had been discussed here, do you really think I would have won them for those amounts?  

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
yeah and you see how that worked out for him

I'm sure next time he'll seek the help of a kick-ass deep-pocketed partner  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
I'm sure next time he'll seek the help of a kick-ass deep-pocketed partner  ;)

I've already gotten 3 offers for next time!

Charlie

« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2012, 09:40:44 PM »
I've already gotten 3 offers for next time!

That is half the reason I don't look for them; I don't have the deep pockets to really take a shot...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
Is that a challenge, Dr. Caul?   :D 

I'm sure I could find obscure auctions, as could the rest of us, we just can't and/or don't dedicate as much time to it as some people......I'm not going on a wild-goose chase to find auctions. 

In this internet age you do not have to spend ANY time or effort to find these auctions, certainly in the UK.

This is an open forum which I understood was for sharing knowledge about this hobby. Mel probably does more than any other forum member in this regard. By all means quietly grumble to yourself if a poster that you hoped to acquire at a "bargain basement" price is outed but please do not attack someone publicly for drawing attention to it.

A while ago, when I gave some background information on the Gangs of New York posters with the best intentions, I think my posting contributed to the auction being pulled. Holiday and Dale, neither of whom I knew to be interested in the posters, must of been mad at me but they maintained a dignified silence. 

Mark

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
I thought it was a rhetorical question.  Not caring about people, regardless of who they are, is a situation that has many ethical implications.  Like I said, I'm not here to try to teach them.

The guests could be people doing more research than you, and sharing it via whichever way they choose, but choose to not be a member here for their own, personal reasons.  Just because they don't contribute here, they're not worthy of information that can be mentioned on a public forum?  That is ridiculous.

Mel was sent a link to an auction, and he posted it here.  No evidence of self-aggrandizing.  My $0.02.

Avoiding bullshit in a forum can be very difficult.  Case in point, Adam, and I'm not saying he was a helpless victim, he played a role in the way things unfolded.

Someone said a few years ago "words can be more violent than actions."  Forums and other online entities have a lot of scathing comments, and some people choose to not be a part of it.

This auction "outing" discussion has obviously gone much deeper in meaning than it had to, but I think we all know the root cause of why people get mad about "outing" auctions in the first place, and that is, greed.

Last comment: if this kind of digression occurs often in this joint, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people, possibly the owners, are not going to hang around to listen to it.

And they could be Martians.  But because I have no idea who they are or what they are doing, why would I let that affect what I do or do not on this forum? That would be ridiculous.  Nothing to do with 'worthiness'.  

Also, I think that your are ascribing much more feeling/anger to this discussion than is actually present.

It has far less to do with greed, than it does with practicality.

My comment about Mel was with regard to his PRIOR self-aggrandizing auction posting and mentioning it as a reason as to why he would be under more scrutiny in this case than if someone else had brought it up.

And you just helped prove my point about the drama.  I 'missed' everything concerning Adam and it was very easy to do.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
That is quite a generalization Wim... you clearly aren't trying very hard:

Breakfast at Tiffany's 1-sheet -- $305
In a Lonely Place French 1-panel -- $550
Lot of 18 Star Wars trilogy posters  -- $50
Schindler's List Saul Bass 1-sheet -- $211
Schindler's List Saul Bass 1-sheet -- $350
Don't Bother to Knock 1-sheet -- $350
Niagara 1-sheet -- $150
(2) King Kong heralds - $35
I'm sure I'm missing plenty more...

And I'm not even counting my Magnum Force 40x60 I got for $125 as that was from a garage sale. :)  All of the above were won at auction.  If they had been discussed here, do you really think I would have won them for those amounts?  

What about the 2001 wilding Mr. STEAL ;)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
Mark, you have notified me of posters in the past... and I thank you deeply for sharing that info.  But you did it over PM, which is the easiest way to ensure the info gets to the people you are trying to help without causing unnecessary competition.

Everyone keeps saying how "easy these are to find" in the days of the internet and what not.  Rich said the same thing like 5 posts into my thread where I revealed the Berwick lot.  However, NO ONE ELSE HERE FOUND THOSE POSTERS?  And no one found any of the posters I listed above.  If it is so damn easy why aren't people doing it?  Because its not easy... that is why.  Maybe Mallams would have been easy, but they are not all like that.  This discussion is about the principle, not this particular auction.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #208 on: March 06, 2012, 09:52:24 PM »
What about the 2001 wilding Mr. STEAL ;)

I don't think I've discussed that one here yet...  ;)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #209 on: March 06, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Mark, you have notified me of posters in the past... and I thank you deeply for sharing that info.  But you did it over PM, which is the easiest way to ensure the info gets to the people you are trying to help without causing unnecessary competition.

Everyone keeps saying how "easy these are to find" in the days of the internet and what not.  Rich said the same thing like 5 posts into my thread where I revealed the Berwick lot.  However, NO ONE ELSE HERE FOUND THOSE POSTERS?  And no one found any of the posters I listed above.  If it is so damn easy why aren't people doing it?  Because its not easy... that is why.  Maybe Mallams would have been easy, but they are not all like that.  This discussion is about the principle, not this particular auction.

AND it certainly is not f'n easy in Canada  moron1
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
I think it is hard to find the smaller auctions which have some posters. Very hard actually. If someone can give me a clue that would be great. I think from memory there was a website you pay to join and they tell you of all upcoming auctions that you can search on for posters.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2012, 10:01:05 PM »

So, how's that workin' out for ya'?

Hadda go all the way back to August for that dig?
In language you can understand, "That is soooo last year."

Whatta putz.
 blahblah

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2012, 10:13:00 PM »
I think from memory there was a website you pay to join and they tell you of all upcoming auctions that you can search on for posters.

how dare you out this information publicly on a public forum where all the publics can read this public post of this information publicly. don't you realize what you just cost me in the future sometime that I am not aware of where I may have found out publicly about what isn't public??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:16:45 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
AND it certainly is not f'n easy in Canada  moron1

Must be all the snow
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
Must be all the snow

Yeah especially when my dog sled team is sleeping.  Huskies just don't understand posters...
Chris

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
how dare you out this information publicly on a public forum where all the publics can read this public post of this information publicly. don't you realize what you just cost me in the future sometime that I am not aware of where I may have found out publicly about what isn't public??

Geez, I'm a bit embarrassed, now that all the publics know of this.

But I spotted Rich corrected his comment.. 'teh' changed to 'the'. That helps me now heaps to understand

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Geez, I'm a bit embarrassed, now that all the publics know of this.

But I spotted Rich corrected his comment.. 'teh' changed to 'the'. That helps me now heaps to understand

That might be the first time he's ever corrected the "teh" so you're clearly pretty special Steve
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #217 on: March 06, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »
Hadda go all the way back to August for that dig?
In language you can understand, "That is soooo last year."

Whatta putz.
 blahblah

First to the insult, as usual...

Charlie

« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2012, 10:37:30 PM »
AAAAAAAh.  Can you guys take this to NS4?  I'm tired of rehash after rehash...  Its like watching those scifi shows where the main characters never die and you go "how the hell did they make it through 100 freakin episodes..."  Somebody die!, be wrong already or agree to disagree.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

Why is half a rabbit eating me?

Charlie

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »

That's a rabbit?  I thought it was a guinea pig...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2012, 10:57:49 PM »

Here's your new avatar.
Use it.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #222 on: March 06, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
That's a rabbit?  I thought it was a guinea pig...

I thought it was a Gerbil
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #223 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:14 PM »
AAAAAAAh.  Can you guys take this to NS4?  I'm tired of rehash after rehash...  Its like watching those scifi shows where the main characters never die and you go "how the hell did they make it through 100 freakin episodes..."  Somebody die!, be wrong already or agree to disagree.

You'll get over it...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »

Because APF doesn't auto-center avatars...