Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 516125 times)

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »
if any of you think that the "collector's with the big pockets" don't know that there's a Dracula quad for sale (even at a lesser known auction house) or indeed that one day you'll find "a valuable poster" between a few floorboards than I envy your sweet naivity. If you try your best you'll find a poster that is pretty valuable, let's say up to a $1000 which may even be a little attractive. And it's a nice feeling, but it probably isn't an item you were looking for in the first place.
The "competition- not greed" aspect is highly emotional and totally irrational. Either you like the poster for your own particular taste / your happy childhood / because it reminds you of your cat or you like it because you find your own bit of precious.
The truth is that Mel's post has possibly increased competition between fellow men, fellow board members with the same amateur zeal and the same limited funds. Probably only a few will have a go at the auction anywa, because it is an unknown quantity,  the quality or cost of shipping is unknown, as is the description of the lots etc. and it is much more comfortable to check Bruce 3 times a week. No harm in that. problem is that the collectors with big pockets aren't as passionate, they don't have to check Bruce's auctions or Rich's or even Heritage's. They care less about initial condition, let alone cost of shipping. they do know how to get their Dracula quad though.
I'm very much with Rich on this. Loose the emotion for the missed precious and stay passionate for what you really want and like.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
Why do guests get a bad rap?  I'm sure they have reasons for why they don't chime in here.  Why do people think that makes them less worthy to be informed of stuff than members?

Guests get a bad rap because they do not add anything to the discussion.  They take without giving. They expend no effort to reap rewards.  Screw 'em.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »
I certainly sympathize with both sides on this issue, which as Chris said, has been re-hashed repeatedly on this forum.

This most recent firestorm was ignited when Mel posted -- in verbatim -- Mallams correspondence to him.
I am re-printing it here because it is pertinent to this debate and has been lost in the melee.

"I am writing to inform you of the Vintage Posters from the 1950s & 1960s auction that is to take place on Saturday 17th March at 10.30am at Mallams Auctioneers in Oxford. This 240 lot auction is compiled from a 760 poster collection that has been untouched since the posters graced the front of an Irish Cinema in the 1950s and1960s. Mostly of British quad size this auction is a fantastic piece of cinematic history and titles within the sale include The Ladykillers, Dracula, The Man With The Golden Arm, Brides of Dracula, Saint Joan, Abbott & Costello, Return of the Fly, Funny Face and much more.

Please find a link to the online catalogue here: http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/mallams/oxford/2012-03-17/page_1

Hatty Fisher

Mallams Auctioneers
Bocardo Gallery
24a St. Michael's Street
Oxford
OX1 2EB

01865 241358"

Ms. Fisher sent this email to Mel's site for inclusion on his board at moviepostercollectors.com.  Mel, being the good guy that he is, took that request one step further and decided to share that information with us here at APF. Now, I know that there are a few of us who already had designs on certain lots at Mallams and it sucks if they now face stiffer competition in getting their posters, but what do you expect Mel to do?  Sit on information that was sent to him to disseminate? Not share news of a notable auction with his fellow movie poster collectors?

And, what about the upside of this scenario?  If Mallams sees a bump in business because this particular auction went "viral" (thanks to Mel), wouldn't it stand to reason that Mallams would look to run more movie poster auctions? Don't we all want to see that also?

In my mind, Mel did the right thing.  He is helping Mallams and APF by informing us of an upcoming auction event.
There will be winners and losers at every one of these auctions.  It is inevitable -- it happens every day.
And, none of us has the corner on internet auctions.

Mel might not get the apologies that he deserves, but what I think is infinitely worse is that he will sit on information that will benefit us all because it might raise the hackles of a few.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
Wim: Can you tell me how the collectors with big pockets already know about such auctions?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:22:43 PM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
They take without giving. They expend no effort to reap rewards.  Screw 'em.

Sounds like the Occupy movement.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
Wim: Can you tell me how the collectors with big pockets already know about such auctions?

And Wim are both pockets deep or does one have a hole in it? 
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
Well said, Ted, about how Mel was just informing people here.

Archie, that is a real snobby attitude toward guests, IMO.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2012, 06:42:07 PM »
here's what I think.. apparently while I want to own certain material and am willing to pay for it, others of you apparently "live for the hunt"

figure it like this: if Mel's post infomred someone who beats you as underbidder on the item you want, well.. you still have to keep hunting right?? he did you a service by helping stay on the hunt, which is what you live for, so you're still hunting and you should be happy

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
that is a real snobby attitude toward guests, IMO.

no kidding

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2012, 07:09:54 PM »
if any of you think that the "collector's with the big pockets" don't know that there's a Dracula quad for sale (even at a lesser known auction house) or indeed that one day you'll find "a valuable poster" between a few floorboards than I envy your sweet naivity. If you try your best you'll find a poster that is pretty valuable, let's say up to a $1000 which may even be a little attractive.

Well Wim, Matt here discovered $500.000+ worth of posters a few months ago that could have -or not- ended up in his hands...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

• Post-aholic
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2012, 07:10:39 PM »
Well Wim, Matt here discovered $500.000+ worth of posters a few months ago that could have -or not- ended up in his hands...

yeah and you see how that worked out for him

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2012, 07:13:34 PM »
yeah and you see how that worked out for him

No need to put yet more salt in those wounds guys...
Chris

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Well said, Ted, about how Mel was just informing people here.

Archie, that is a real snobby attitude toward guests, IMO.
Nothing snobby about it.  You don't have to be an expert, have a bunch of money or any of the other areas that one can be 'snobby' to be able to contribute.  All it takes is a little time and/or effort.  If someone can't even bothered to do a bare minimum, then why on earth should I care about them?

If Mel didn't have a history of self-aggrandizing auction posting, then he might be getting a little more slack now...  As, essentially, a PR release, I have less of an issue with something like this than I do with outing individual auctions.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:54 PM »
out all auctions

no reason any auction needs to stay in the closet

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2012, 08:07:31 PM »

why on earth should I care about them?

I'm not here to teach Ethics, but your last statement says a lot.

Guests have reasons for not contributing and you have reasons for contributing.  I'm not going to get into what you do and don't contribute because that is beside the point.

Surely guests serve plenty of functions in the mp society as well.

If Mel didn't have a history of self-aggrandizing auction posting

Stuff like this makes me realize why a lot of people probably choose to not be members.  They don't want to deal with the bullshit.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2012, 08:35:24 PM »
Isn't it funny how all the people who don't make the effort to uncover obscure auctions and deals are the ones saying Mel is the in the right out them?  eyeroll

Get off your asses fellas.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
I'm not here to teach Ethics, but your last statement says a lot.

Guests have reasons for not contributing and you have reasons for contributing.  I'm not going to get into what you do and don't contribute because that is beside the point.

Surely guests serve plenty of functions in the mp society as well.

Stuff like this makes me realize why a lot of people probably choose to not be members.  They don't want to deal with the bullshit.

My statement says nothing and you avoided the question.  Their reason are their reasons, but why should I care about them?  I've long been a proponent of getting things right and routinely fight against misinformation all for the greater good of the hobby, but why should I care about them as individuals if they can't be bothered.  

What I do or do not contribute is beside the point, so I don't understand why you brought it up.  This is about them contributing at all.

What's bullshit?  Mel's self-aggrandizing or my mentioning it as a reason why people are not cutting him slack in this thread.  Either way, it's a lame excuse.  Avoiding bullshit in a forum is really not hard to do.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:50:49 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »
Sounds like the Occupy movement.

Hahaha....
Best get used to those words, "Rick Perry for President."
I believe he will go all the way to the White House.

So, how's that workin' out for ya'?

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
Isn't it funny how all the people who don't make the effort to uncover obscure auctions and deals are the ones saying Mel is the in the right out them?  eyeroll

I would not describe Mallam's sale as an "obscure auction" and it takes no effort whatsover to find other small/provincial auction houses in the UK selling film posters.

Mark  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
And yet plenty of people here didn't know about it...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »

Is that a challenge, Dr. Caul?   :D  

I'm sure I could find obscure auctions, as could the rest of us, we just can't and/or don't dedicate as much time to it as some people.  This joint is about open discussion, with some exceptions, but outing auctions is not one of those exceptions, for various reasons.  It's been rehashed to this vitriolic point, where even guests are being attacked.

Personally, I collect very few items in general, so that's one reason why I'm not going on a wild-goose chase to find auctions.  

This vitriol is almost like The Treasure of Sierra Madre and "gold fever."

Charlie

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »
Well, then you move on. See, what you want is something in return from the favor you gave to him. If he legitimately and without malice wants the poster as well to add to his collection then so be it. You being magnanimous should not come with strings attach. Or at least that's how I would be. I would be bummed for sure but I wouldn't take it against him.

I am not sure I got your post here.  Everything we do in life has some self benefit behind it.  This place is a community; I figure if you build good relationships then we can help each other out.  If I see something that someone doesn't have and I know they like it (caveat: I don't want it either) then send it on.  If I found said Chandler three-sheet why would I tell anyone else but Rich?  If he does me a favor later by finding me a poster, then great.  If not, then I still get the satisfaction of knowing I helped someone get a poster they really wanted...  Both are benefits in some way...

Charlie

« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
And yet plenty of people here didn't know about it...

I didn't.  And even if I found out after it was over, it was my fault for not knowing better.  I search for these auction every once in a while. Some will have a few lots in an estate auction etc some are big and stupid...  This was a nice one; but I'm saving up for HA so I am out anyway.  But if I was loaded you all would be in trouble.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:08:45 PM by Charlie »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
It's been rehashed to this vitriolic point, where even guests are being attacked.

Guests are not being attacked... They are being called out for what they are to a forum - useless...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:38 PM »

My statement says nothing and you avoided the question.  Their reason are their reasons, but why should I care about them?  I've long been a proponent of getting things right and routinely fight against misinformation all for the greater good of the hobby, but why should I care about them as individuals if they can't be bothered. 

I thought it was a rhetorical question.  Not caring about people, regardless of who they are, is a situation that has many ethical implications.  Like I said, I'm not here to try to teach them.

The guests could be people doing more research than you, and sharing it via whichever way they choose, but choose to not be a member here for their own, personal reasons.  Just because they don't contribute here, they're not worthy of information that can be mentioned on a public forum?  That is ridiculous.

What's bullshit?  Mel's self-aggrandizing or my mentioning it as a reason why people are not cutting him slack in this thread.  Either way, it's a lame excuse.  Avoiding bullshit in a forum is really not hard to do.

Mel was sent a link to an auction, and he posted it here.  No evidence of self-aggrandizing.  My $0.02.

Avoiding bullshit in a forum can be very difficult.  Case in point, Adam, and I'm not saying he was a helpless victim, he played a role in the way things unfolded.

Someone said a few years ago "words can be more violent than actions."  Forums and other online entities have a lot of scathing comments, and some people choose to not be a part of it.

This auction "outing" discussion has obviously gone much deeper in meaning than it had to, but I think we all know the root cause of why people get mad about "outing" auctions in the first place, and that is, greed.

Last comment: if this kind of digression occurs often in this joint, I think it's safe to say that a lot of people, possibly the owners, are not going to hang around to listen to it.