Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 515441 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2012, 05:37:06 AM »
Hey there are heaps of great looking quads in that auction! I am so happy, I've got my monthly pay check now and I'll get all the best goodies

Back off man, I got dibs on all the poster cleavage!  gun1

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2012, 06:56:30 AM »
naughty naughty.

That's better than being told "Off with your head" by a forum member to me yesterday.

Back off man, I got dibs on all the poster cleavage!  gun1

The fat chicks are all yours ;) , and any left overs are for Paul and Harry!

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2012, 09:14:37 AM »
I'm afraid I side with Matt and others on this. I too received the email to my website's address and I didn't think for a moment about sharing it. I'm not planning on bidding on anything myself as it's all before my collecting time frame, even if I do appreciate why some folks are excited.

One of the joys of this hobby, for me at least (and I know I'm not alone), is finding that poster bargain - one that would typically sell for more at auction - for a reasonable (ie affordable by me) price. I literally don't understand why anyone would want to spread the word if they see something that might pass under the big guns' radars and allow them to grab a wanted poster. In some ways I would actually hate to be in a position where money was no object in terms of poster collecting as it would take a lot of the fun out of it. Rich's comments that he doesn't care are utterly baffling to me and I literally can't understand why you don't care if you're paying $100 versus $1000.

The argument about the good of the many versus the few doesn't wash for me either. At the end of the day our hobby is something of a competition, no matter what anyone says. All collecting hobbies are about finding something the other collectors don't have. It's not about greed at all, just the competition.

With all that being said I didn't believe for a second that likes of Mark and (auction sleuth) Matt wouldn't have already been aware of this auction, but it's the fact that this forum has so many lurkers guests that is the issue and is why I would never post about an auction like this.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:16:21 AM by Ed_209uk »
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Charlie

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
Still would like to figure out how the guest thing works.  I posted something earlier basically saying that I am logged in in three places and a guest in 3 places...  Anybody else check while not logged in?

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2012, 11:28:27 AM »
I'm afraid I side with Matt and others on this. I too received the email to my website's address and I didn't think for a moment about sharing it. I'm not planning on bidding on anything myself as it's all before my collecting time frame, even if I do appreciate why some folks are excited.

One of the joys of this hobby, for me at least (and I know I'm not alone), is finding that poster bargain - one that would typically sell for more at auction - for a reasonable (ie affordable by me) price. I literally don't understand why anyone would want to spread the word if they see something that might pass under the big guns' radars and allow them to grab a wanted poster. In some ways I would actually hate to be in a position where money was no object in terms of poster collecting as it would take a lot of the fun out of it. Rich's comments that he doesn't care are utterly baffling to me and I literally can't understand why you don't care if you're paying $100 versus $1000.

The argument about the good of the many versus the few doesn't wash for me either. At the end of the day our hobby is something of a competition, no matter what anyone says. All collecting hobbies are about finding something the other collectors don't have. It's not about greed at all, just the competition.

With all that being said I didn't believe for a second that likes of Mark and (auction sleuth) Matt wouldn't have already been aware of this auction, but it's the fact that this forum has so many lurkers guests that is the issue and is why I would never post about an auction like this.

clap clap clap
One of the few who talks some sense on this forum.
It's more than a Hobby...

longdog

« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:42 AM »

Hi Ed,

You have indeed nailed it by saying that this is in many ways a competition as we're all hunting down our favourite posters for the best possible price, often in direct competion with our fellow collectors.

But to play devil's advocate for a moment, if this were your collection that was being sold at the auction you'd very much hope that every possible measure was being taken to promote the event (which inevitably involves 'word of mouth') to gain you the best possible result.

I guess we'd all like things to work both ways by buying low and (if/when the time comes) selling high but it doesn't always work that way and I'm torn to which way I stand on the matter as I look at both sides of the argument. I guess it always comes back to the classic 'pay what you're willing to pay'. If that means getting something at a better price than that is a bonus.

Paul.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2012, 12:41:40 PM »
Paul: I can completely see what you mean about it cutting both ways for buyer and seller and it's definitely a tough one. I can't see this argument being resolved any time soon.

It'd be interesting to hear from the forum's owners on this. Without wanting to speak for them I'm pretty sure neither of them has ever posted a link to an upcoming auction or added a link to the mid-auction thread.

My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
Amazing how many times this topic has been rehashed.  T and H started this joint for their own reasons, one being to allow open discussion without the need to pander to sponsors.  For those who appreciate open discussion, but don't want auctions "outed" - you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Why do guests get a bad rap?  I'm sure they have reasons for why they don't chime in here.  Why do people think that makes them less worthy to be informed of stuff than members?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 02:44:24 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
Neo is spot-on.

and Ed.. the concept that I might have gotten something for $100 but now it costs me $1000 is off in calculation

the real math is this:
value to me+bid cost+other bidders=happy win/unemotional loss

and I doubt I could win for $100 those things I'm looking for that are valued at $1000, although $500-700 might not have been out of the question with less bidders.. But if I pay $1000 for something, as long as I was willing, I won.. end of story

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
You guys still don't seem to get what the major issue is here - it's people posting/outting/talking about "obscure auctions" when they have
NO INTENTION themselves of bidding/participating in said auction.

Matt, I and others have made this clear many, many times.
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #160 on: March 06, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
You guys still don't seem to get what the major issue is here - it's people posting/outting/talking about "obscure auctions" when they have

Freefall

« Reply #161 on: March 06, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »

I am confused with this statement. What does it matter whether they participate or not? Or are you implying that Mel has some sinister plot to out an "obscure auction" because he just wants to screw with you? It seems to me that this whole issue is personal more than anything else.  :(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
I am confused with this statement. What does it matter whether they participate or not? Or are you implying that Mel has some sinister plot to out an "obscure auction" because he just wants to screw with you? It seems to me that this whole issue is personal more than anything else.  :(

Seems like most everyone is confused (but they shoudn't be).

Read through the extensive discussion in the Mid-Auction Analysis thread for more golden nuggets...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:32:56 PM by CSM »
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:57 PM »
Chris

thankfully, Holiday & Thierry make the rules around here

their rule is: post away

like Democrats & Republicans, there are two sides to an issue. If you do not wish to pursue information posted in this thread (Upcoming movie poster events calendar), then nobody forces you to do so.
If you wish for such information not to be shared, then you need to have your own forum where you make the rules. I completely disagree with the philosophy  that because anyone disagrees with me, that I am wrong. This is a "6 of one, a half dozen of the other" issue. I'm for "6 of one"

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2012, 03:56:07 PM »
Chris

thankfully, Holiday & Thierry make the rules around here

their rule is: post away

like Democrats & Republicans, there are two sides to an issue. If you do not wish to pursue information posted in this thread (Upcoming movie poster events calendar), then nobody forces you to do so.
If you wish for such information not to be shared, then you need to have your own forum where you make the rules. I completely disagree with the philosophy  that because anyone disagrees with me, that I am wrong. This is a "6 of one, a half dozen of the other" issue. I'm for "6 of one"

I've never asked for a rule change and I don't believe anyone else has either.

It's more of a (for lack of a better word) "morality" issue.

I went on at length about "respect amongst collectors or forum members" in the Mid-Auction Thread.  This is the crux of the argument.

So it's not a concern about Rules - it is a concern about R-E-S-P-E-C-T (I think there might even be a catchy song to go along with that
if you'd like?)

Chris

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2012, 03:59:49 PM »
Who cares, that Mallams auction just has shitty posters anyway.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
one person's morality is another person's bullshit

-------

Charlie

« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2012, 04:10:59 PM »
So Matt, and who ever else knew about it.  How come you guys didn't PM me?  I am not an asshole; if you told me about it and told me what you would be bidding on I wouldn't take it out from under you...  I can see the point on posting it for the whole world to see but how many of you that knew about it spread the good word discretely?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
Those guys never bid on anything - they just argue amongst themselves over trivialities

And are barely human...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
And are barely human...

I think Aussies were upgraded to human status in or around 1995?  I know it was pretty recently...
Chris

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
here's a dilemma....
you find an obscure auction with some paper you really want, do you:

A) keep quiet and hope you are the only one ?
B) advertise is on this forum and add competitors to the auction?

that is a very different proposition to finding an auction where there is no paper you want

I am betting the majority of people would choose option A)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
here's a dilemma....
that is a very different proposition to finding an auction where there is no paper you want

go back to previous threads on this subject & you will find the answers people gave

-------

Charlie

« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
here's a dilemma....

Third Option:

C) There is a Chandler 3-Sheet Rich doesn't have and you don't give a shit about chandler so you PM Rich and let him know...  Then you hope he doesn't bid on your Dracula quad.  But if he did that then why would you ever PM him again...

Freefall

« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2012, 05:36:04 PM »
Third Option:

C) There is a Chandler 3-Sheet Rich doesn't have and you don't give a shit about chandler so you PM Rich and let him know...  Then you hope he doesn't bid on your Dracula quad.  But if he did that then why would you ever PM him again...

Well, then you move on. See, what you want is something in return from the favor you gave to him. If he legitimately and without malice wants the poster as well to add to his collection then so be it. You being magnanimous should not come with strings attach. Or at least that's how I would be. I would be bummed for sure but I wouldn't take it against him.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
just post a link to the 3 sheet here
I'll be okay with it
I won't be bitching
I'll just bid as I would have regardless of whether 1 person or 100 knew about it
bid bid bid
win lose
results are the same
no crying
no emotional suicide
just on to the next one
no big deal
life goes on

-------