Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 516044 times)

Online paul waines

• Curator
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2012, 03:01:05 PM »
This is the second time Mel has shit on me from a great hight, as I was going to buy a certain poster, and hoped to get it for a good price. But now the world and his dog knows....

As I've said before, loose lips sink ships, and Dracula Quads...

I wonder if Mel is on a back hander from dealers... As he's certainly not on the side of the collector.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
I have never seen Mel post a link to my own auctions
as far as I'm concerned, I think all auctions should be posted in one long link blog.. right here

Mel wouldnt need to post a link to your auctions . You do a pretty good job promoting your own business.

My point was that you are a dealer.  This is a collectors issue.

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
Excellently put Zorba...
It's more than a Hobby...

Bruce

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »
"Bruce, please stop posting irrelevant and barely-disguised attacks on Heritage."

Mel, I made no attack on Heritage or anyone. Re-read what I wrote. You remind me of the man being shown a set of inkblots, and interpreting them all as pictures of people having sex. When the tester announces that the man is clearly obsessed with sex, he says, "Me? You're the one with the collection of dirty pictures."

You find attacks everywhere you turn. I guess that goes with being a lawyer.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
Mel wouldnt need to post a link to your auctions . You do a pretty good job promoting your own business.
My point was that you are a dealer.  This is a collectors issue.

Zorba, I have no idea why  you would think that just because someone is a dealer that they are also not a collector. I've been collecting movie posters for more than 40 years (I still have some posters I bought 44 years ago), my collection is enormous (probably many multiples in size of your own) and there's a good chance I spend more money on an annualized basis than most people on this forum or any other.

when Mel "outed" this auction, he certainly outed posters I have on my want list

BUT I DON'T CARE.

I'll win or I'l lose and no one will hear a whiney peep out of me if I win nothing

thinking that dealers are not overall the biggest & most advanced collectors is pure foolishness
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:31:59 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2012, 03:36:32 PM »
also, for those that have trouble with reading comprehension, the titles of this thread is
"Upcoming movie poster events calendar"

you can ask Holiday to remove the thread if you like (like it hasn't been asked before), but I already know what the answer will be.......

TOUGH TITTIES!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2012, 03:38:28 PM »
when Mel "outed" this auction, he certainly outed posters I have on my want list

BUT I DON'T CARE.

You are in the minority Rich.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
Excellently put Zorba...

Thanks Paul.

Even I get something right once in a while.  ;D

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »
again , i am with Harry, and no i am not being whiney!

it goes like this, if sell something then I want everyone to know where i am selling, if i am buying then it must not be advertised!

Heads I win, tails you lose!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
You are in the minority Rich.

you don't know that Matt. did you ever poll all the 283 members of this forum (meaning did ever a poll that all 283 members voted happen?). your claim has no basis in fact, nor could you possibly back it up with any facts because no data exists.

but I'll go further - simply said, the fact that this thread exists exemplifies the belief that the forum owners believe this thread is needed. End of story. If you don't want to read the thread, that's your choice. One day someone may post an auction that I don't know about & I'll get that damned Farewell My Love 1944 Quad I'm looking for (because I'll pay the price..!)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:18:55 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

• Collector
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »

as I have said in other threads.. I am not concerned if other people want to bid against me and make me pay more money

with the greatest respect, are you mental?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Paul.. I could care less what I have to pay for something if I want it and if the price meets my own criteria. Similarly if I lose such an item because someone will pay more than I will - I DON'T CARE.

that's the way it is. I am not a cheapskate and I'm not going to get bent out of shape if I never get a Blue Dahlia 1sh for my collection. If I'm bidding on one, I'll give it the old "College try". If I lose, my emotions will not be any worse for wear.

cry babies are supposed to be in a crib or in Mommy's arms.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:51:34 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

• Collector
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
I am not sure what the cry babies reference is? I am not crying about it and i am not being cheap.

I was picking up on the logic of paying more than you need to and not caring about it. I guess i have other bills and mortgages to pay and therefore will always look to get the best value I can.

Collecting used to be about getting out there and finding those nuggets, its still possible, but a lot harder since the advent of the internet

• Post-aholic
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2012, 04:00:18 PM »
Paul.. if I'm willing to pay the price - I don't care about the money. It's a simple equation:
item for sale+value to me+value to other bidder=final price paid

Collecting used to be about getting out there and finding those nuggets, its still possible, but a lot harder since the advent of the internet

and concerning the statement above.. are you serious? collecting has become 10x easier since the internet. That's why stores are closing & conventions are dying as well as why for sale catalogs & advertised lists are also disappearing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:00:41 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2012, 04:01:58 PM »
you don't know that Matt. did you ever poll all the 283 members of this forum (meaning did ever a poll that all 283 members voted happen?). your claim has no basis in fact, nor could you possibly back it up with any facts because no data exists.

I just looked into setting up a poll.  I may still do it, but there is no way to make it public and there is no way to limit it to registered members.  To all -- am I missing something here?  Are those options possible?

One day someone may post an auction that I don't know about & I'll get that damed Farewell My Love 1944 Quad I'm looking for (because I'll pay the price..!)

So what you are saying is you want other people to find your poster for you and that you'll pay any price necessary to win it... how exactly is my 'lazy and rich' comment off again?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 04:02:59 PM by Harry Caul »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
So what you are saying is you want other people to find your poster for you and that you'll pay any price necessary to win it... how exactly is my 'lazy and rich' comment off again?

Harry.. you'll have to get all 283 members to vote
you can't do it

second, I don' tknow how an intelligent person like yourself gets to the above conclusion from my statements. Also, I didn't say in any post that "I'll pay any price". What I did say is I'll pay the price that I will pay, or I won't win (sic)

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2012, 04:22:47 PM »
Personally, I want to see as many auctions as possible, and I would be happy to forward any I find.

Of course, my collecting habits don't match most of the folks here, so we are not likely to be competing for most items.
-Jay-

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »
Rich, I'm being an ass and picking apart your statements... the same thing you do.  Enjoy the sparing.  :D

In all seriousness, this is a close community and that's why we all belong to it.  Most people here know your tastes and if they ever came across the poster you were looking for, they would tell you.  If the quad was ever listed for auction, you'd probably get 5 PMs about it before Mel outted the auction to rest of the anonymous APF guests out there who also collect Chandler.  As we all know, it only takes 2 people to run up a poster price. 

Guests typically outnumber members 5:1.  There are clearly lots of collectors on this forum who don't contribute to it.  For those who think that outting this information doesn't have fiscal consequences for your friends here, you are deluding yourselves.  And as others have pointed out, it isn't about being cheap or being whiny.  It is about being courteous and respectful of other members. 

I believe in looking out for fellow members.  That includes alerting them to posters that fall in their range of interests, AND not screaming it from the rooftops to their bidding competitors.  Hell, I bought you a Chandler poster you didn't have simply because I thought you would appreciate it.  It wasn't expensive, but it wasn't free and it did take effort that I didn't have to give.  I have done it for others as well.  But again, this is why we have a close community and a PM system.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Of course, my collecting habits don't match most of the folks here, so we are not likely to be competing for most items.

Most folks you know of... again, guests outnumber members 5:1.

To everyone -- no matter how small of a niche you think you collect, there are others out there that collect it too.  Otherwise you'd win everything you bid on for a $1 at eMovieposter.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »
Harry

#1 of course as you already know, I very much appreciated the poster (especially because it was one I was looking for)

#2 while you think it is courteous & respectful to NOT post about auctions, everyone does not share your opinion and some of us think it is just as courteous to post about these auctions. As a matter of fact from previous threads on this issue (this must be the 4th time on APF), people argued both sides

#3 Holiday & Thierry clearly have not deleted this thread, nor have they deleted mid-auction, so this all by itself is an exemplification of their opinion that such threads should not be censored and seeing as they are the "Law Givers", it looks like this thread is here to stay.

#4 Do you think that by now, most people don't already go direct to Mel's calendar, where all these auctions are already posted anyway??

this is such a silly issue to me. It's a public forum posting & sharing public information. What do you think is supposed to be going on here???

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
and I do not care about how many lurkers vs members there are

it goes to my last statement above.. This is a public forum, not a private forum

the more people reading the posts, the greater chance that more people will enter the hobby & keep it vibrant

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »
the more people reading the posts, the greater chance that more people will enter the hobby & keep it vibrant

Personally, I wish people would leave this hobby in droves.
Less poster collectors = more posters for mewynk

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
#2 while you think it is courteous & respectful to NOT post about auctions, everyone does not share your opinion and some of us think it is just as courteous to post about these auctions.

That is not what I said, I tell lots of people about on going auctions... via PM.  To all -- if you haven't got a PM from me, I probably don't know your collecting tastes, I haven't come across any good posters for you, or your tastes overlap to closely with my own.

#3 Holiday & Thierry clearly have not deleted this thread, nor have they deleted mid-auction, so this all by itself is an exemplification of their opinion that such threads should not be censored and seeing as they are the "Law Givers", it looks like this thread is here to stay.

As I said in the previous discussions, I'm not calling for censorship.  I'm calling for respect and courtesy for other members.  Most people are fully capable of self censoring when the situation calls for it.  Some, as we have seen, are not.  It is of course Mel's right to post this stuff, but it also my right to tell him to fucking stop it EVERY SINGLE TIME HE DOES IT.  I'm sorry if you don't want to hear it every time I do it.  If not, then stop responding to these threads and let him and me duke it out.

Bruce

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2012, 05:03:53 PM »
I find it odd that some people defend their right to tell other people what not to post, especially when there appear to be no rules against what they are doing. Isn't that kind of like asking for rules in a knife fight?

In my opinion, Mel at least doubled the likely total take for this obscure auction (I know I never heard of it before, and I might well spend 20K there now that I do know of it). When he posts a link to a high profile auction, especially an expensive one, I doubt he raises the take at all. But do you all want a rule against one or the other? If so, either Thierry or Holiday to make one, or else start yet another forum where such posts are not allowed.

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
I find it odd that some people defend their right to tell other people what not to post, especially when there appear to be no rules against what they are doing. Isn't that kind of like asking for rules in a knife fight?

In my opinion, Mel at least doubled the likely total take for this obscure auction (I know I never heard of it before, and I might well spend 20K there now that I do know of it). When he posts a link to a high profile auction, especially an expensive one, I doubt he raises the take at all. But do you all want a rule against one or the other? If so, either Thierry or Holiday to make one, or else start yet another forum where such posts are not allowed.

Bruce

You've been watching to much Butch Cassidy Bruce; watch for the LOOOOOW blow Mel....   ;)  I for one think Mel did a wonderful job of pointing this auction out but if I had known about it you guys wouldn't...  I think he was just trying to help us out.  It just depends on what you are going after Matt; I picked one out.   ;D