Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 524178 times)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #1425 on: March 23, 2021, 11:07:52 AM »
PropStore was an absolute headache/disaster for me during one transaction last year. Shipping was outrageous and my item arrived broken. Had to dialogue back and forth constantly for any and all updates then even more so when I fought to get some money back. Just an FYI.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1426 on: March 23, 2021, 12:02:51 PM »
PropStore was an absolute headache/disaster for me during one transaction last year. Shipping was outrageous and my item arrived broken. Had to dialogue back and forth constantly for any and all updates then even more so when I fought to get some money back. Just an FYI.

Good info, thank you. I hope you had a satisfactory outcome. It does always feel like a bit of a gamble getting stuff shipped from auction houses that aren't EMP, Heritage etc.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #1427 on: March 23, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »
prop stores beatles HDN poster is not from '65 so their auction estimate is maybe a decimal point out i would guess

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1428 on: April 17, 2021, 07:46:45 AM »
https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/The-Michael-Armstrong-Cinema-Collection/2021-04-30?arr=&bidded_lots=0&box_filter=&category=&category_by=&currency=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&export_issue=&filter_360=&high_estimate=&image_filter=&keyword=&list_type=&lot_no_from=&lot_no_to=&lots_per_page=&low_estimate=&month=&page_no=1&paper_filter=&search_type=&sort_by=&view=bidders&year=

An utterly sublime British only collection of quad posters, FOH stills, Campaign Books, Synopsis, Presspacks covering Bond, Horror, Carry On, Clint Eastwood and seemingly, the whole kit and caboodle.

Very impressive.

I am not sure who Michael Armstrong but let's just say, he was a committed chap.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #1429 on: April 17, 2021, 07:15:04 PM »
^those 50+ year old posters are  looking mighty fine not being attached to linen

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1430 on: April 19, 2021, 02:44:34 AM »
I love how they list the provenance for each item as "from the Michael Armstrong Cinema Collection", as if he is well known and thus authenticity won't come into question.

1.  Is Michael Armstrong like Dwight Cleveland, Forrest Ackerman, or Kirk Hammett or something?  Is it Michael Armstrong, as in writer of House of the Long Shadows (among others)?
2.  Are there actually any posters in that aucton in need of provenance?
3.  I wonder how many people on this board will, in the future, have an auction of posters with their name attached?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:51:38 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1431 on: April 19, 2021, 04:02:14 AM »
Well, unless I am missing something, to be sure a little paragraph could have been introduced as part of the marketing blurb.

But a quick search unearthed this.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/tributes-paid-to-michael-armstrong-6411016

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1432 on: April 19, 2021, 06:18:35 AM »
.....to be sure a little paragraph could have been introduced as part of the marketing blurb.

Yes, that's what I was thinking - it seems there is a story to tell

I'm looking forward to attending this auction, my first one in 18 months, and checking out the condition of the posters myself. My online wins from UK auction houses during this pandemic usually culminate in disappointment when the posters turn up in a condition unacceptable to me.

Mark

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #1433 on: April 19, 2021, 12:57:07 PM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1434 on: April 20, 2021, 03:42:05 AM »
Oh yes!  And, there is some blurb on the Dr No poster as to just who the chap was. RIP.

I wonder why they split the lots across two auctions?  The prices Ewbanks are getting are impressive to say the least.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #1435 on: April 23, 2021, 07:55:36 AM »
^i thought that maybe bonhams was offered the collection first but said they were only interested in the 6ts jimmybonds. But if that was the case then i am certain they would have wanted the Beatles quads so i doubt it.
Wasn't there a Bond only auction recently that had 2 goldfinger quads? Must be the most common 5K poster out there. Postage for the bonhams one will be expensive ;D

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1436 on: May 13, 2021, 05:38:15 AM »
This looks nice for a browse for any London members near Peckham on 14th -16th May (click through to Instagram for more details, I can’t copy and paste the text on my phone unfortunately)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1437 on: May 26, 2021, 02:45:59 AM »
Heritage doing an Alternative Movie Posters auction for Mondo and the like. Their first dedicated auction for these types of prints?

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=54+792+4294941425&searchView=gallery&ic4=GalleryView-071515

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #1438 on: November 16, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
The PDF for Propstore's catalogue is out now - Link

The Empire Strikes Back original art by Josh Kirby is pretty cool:

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #1439 on: November 17, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
Thanks for posting Tob, quite a selection!

I'm curious what peoples thought are on the Feref Archive Transparencies? I'm conflicted with them because they are obviously not the original artwork, just a transparency, and the print has only been produced to help the sale, so wasn't produced at the time and isn't part of the design process, although nice to have no doubt.

Maybe I'm being cynical because I won't be able to afford any!