Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 515459 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #1075 on: June 23, 2016, 02:53:26 PM »
Based on the "1st release" Quad that's a re-release from the 70's...

Ahhh!  Must admit, I wouldn't have known that.  Good spot.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1076 on: June 25, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »
Sold for $20,000 (should have consigned to Bruce, in 2013 EMP sold it for $67,166.00)

sold for $38,000

[/quote]

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1077 on: July 01, 2016, 12:02:02 PM »
It seems that Astons have far too much money, as they refused to take £1500 worth of bids off me the other day. So their loss, on to the next auction..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1078 on: July 01, 2016, 03:58:22 PM »
What happened Paul? I've had no problem. Usually go thru saleroom.com & just use auto bid in morning of auction

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1079 on: July 02, 2016, 02:21:29 AM »
I normally just ring and leave my bids by phone, but they said they wouldn't do this, and where I work there's no signal for internet..

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1080 on: July 02, 2016, 04:48:03 AM »
Can you not leave proxy bids via Invaluable?

Have you rung and left bids with this particular auction house before?  If so, strange that this time they are not interested.

S.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1081 on: July 02, 2016, 07:59:23 AM »
Never bother with the internet if the auction is in this country. They say they have stopped taking bids by phone, something to do with money laundering..!!   Bollocks I say.  Bone-idle receptionist, is all.   It's still their loss.  If there's one thing age tells you about this hobby, if you miss something today, there'll be something better along tomorrow....

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1082 on: July 02, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
Money laundering!!?

Right!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1083 on: November 18, 2016, 04:49:47 AM »
http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=651437&Section=524&Start=80

Vectis have this up, end of November.

This one is much like the Goldfinger Hand quad poster that is doing the rounds right now, being passed around like an unloved child as being completely unfit for purpose.

This poster has actually been in my possession through misrepresentation, and was thus sent back.  Stay away at any price.  Best thing for this poster would be to put it to sleep.  Killing with kindness.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1084 on: November 24, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
Vectis don't listen, Simon.
A lot of it is down to the manager.

I don't agree that it should be shelved because it does display OK, however, it should be decreased in price.
For a collector...I agree, stay away. Like I explained at the time, I wasn't told the whole truth about this poster and when framed and after taken out of the frame you couldn't tell - it was only after you received it and after it had been rolled that everything came to light. A lot of investigation was conducted on your part. Vectis and the original owner wouldn't pursue the original restorer on the shoddy job.

The reason it is back in Vectis is because it was sold with the knowledge of the bad resto job. The buyer returned it to Vectis saying he didn't know about the restoration etc which was a blatant lie. The stuff he was coming out with was a joke. I told the manager of Vectis she should stand her ground on this one (as they always allow people to return things, which is bizarre for an auction house) and did she listen? No. The guy got his money back. I told them that they did the wrong thing. I then explained that if they were going to resell it they would have to decrease the price again and add extra photos. Guess what? They haven't done either. And they have also slightly changed the description.

The bottom line is that they don't know what they're doing.
Case in point is the auction you linked to. I emailed the manager to tell her that they were advertising and pricing some reprints as originals.
Not a thing has been done.

At this moment in time you need to be very careful with Vectis when it comes to posters and film memorabilia.
I'm probably going there for the auction itself to look at some other things so if anyone wants me to have a look at something for them give me a shout.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1085 on: November 25, 2016, 04:51:49 AM »
Interesting.

Yes, the latest buyer was lying.  Perhaps the extent of the damage was not properly relayed.  It certainly is now.

Not sure it even really displays well as all the colours on Andress' skin are blatantly wrong. The cracks in the paint notwithstanding, the entire poster is essentially painted.  There appears to be little point in selling it as an original because, and to be frank, one could glue together a quad's worth of archival blank paper, and paint a brand new Dr No poster on it.

The next nearest example of such work, was the Thunderball quad that only had to its name the central image as being original.  The rest of the quad being made up of archival paper and ALL credits and titling being newly painted - not even painted over original titling.

Which brings us back to the philosophical question of, when does an original poster cease to be an original poster?

Anyway, thanks for the information fella.  All well with you?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1086 on: November 26, 2016, 02:20:15 PM »
Excalibur Auctions has rescheduled their next auction and is having it on Dec 3rd, 2016. We all recall that the auction was canceled due to the passing of Adrian Cowdry, back in August.

There looks to be 91 posters in the mix of toys, and other memorabilia.

http://www.excaliburauctions.com/

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1087 on: November 28, 2016, 05:51:57 AM »
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/excaliburauctions/catalogue-id-excali10001/lot-b2c5c1ef-4b52-4450-be67-a6c7008ac5fb

Photography and descriptions still leave a lot to be desired...

Ugh.

Is this poster really Fine?  Looks knackered.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1088 on: November 28, 2016, 05:15:52 PM »
Interesting.

Yes, the latest buyer was lying.  Perhaps the extent of the damage was not properly relayed.  It certainly is now.

Not sure it even really displays well as all the colours on Andress' skin are blatantly wrong. The cracks in the paint notwithstanding, the entire poster is essentially painted.  There appears to be little point in selling it as an original because, and to be frank, one could glue together a quad's worth of archival blank paper, and paint a brand new Dr No poster on it.

The next nearest example of such work, was the Thunderball quad that only had to its name the central image as being original.  The rest of the quad being made up of archival paper and ALL credits and titling being newly painted - not even painted over original titling.

Which brings us back to the philosophical question of, when does an original poster cease to be an original poster?

Anyway, thanks for the information fella.  All well with you?

Yeah, things are great, thanks! Yourself?

The last buyer of the Dr. No quad knew exactly what he was buying - you should have seen some of his comments about it. He genuinely didn't have a clue.
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not working at that place any longer - the management is diabolical and quite frankly doesn't give a damn about collectors and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

There's some decent items in the Excalibur auction, but what I don't get in grading is how people can term a piece of paper "MINT" - it's completely wrong.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1089 on: November 28, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
Yeah, things are great, thanks! Yourself?

The last buyer of the Dr. No quad knew exactly what he was buying - you should have seen some of his comments about it. He genuinely didn't have a clue.
Anyway, I'm glad I'm not working at that place any longer - the management is diabolical and quite frankly doesn't give a damn about collectors and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

There's some decent items in the Excalibur auction, but what I don't get in grading is how people can term a piece of paper "MINT" - it's completely wrong.

Maybe that's also why they haven't posted about any of their auctions here on APF in over 2 years?  Their last post on the forum was in July of 2014.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1090 on: November 29, 2016, 04:26:18 AM »
Maybe that's also why they haven't posted about any of their auctions here on APF in over 2 years?  Their last post on the forum was in July of 2014.

And was that post actually by Adam under a Vectis brand?

Wasn't aware you're no longer working with or for them Adam.  Hope all is well in the employment arena.  If you're just reading the odd post here, and happen back to this one, I had an outstanding question ref US Military 1 Sheets for the Bond films.  Having just taken the plunge with a Dr No 1 Sheet of such connection, and aside from the Thunderball equivalent I am already aware of, I was asking if there were any other Bonds that had such posters created for them...?

Anyway, back to the Events.

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1091 on: November 29, 2016, 08:22:28 AM »
And was that post actually by Adam under a Vectis brand?

At first, as I helped them set the account up, but then they took over and I wasn't party to what they did...or didn't do.
We'll go over the Bond stuff later mate.
Employment is all good!

The management does not believe in the value of forums.
Very odd.

It's also because they didn't like me being involved in the marketing (before I left)...even though I was and still am better qualified than any of them.
They have people running the "marketing department" (if you can call it that) who aren't up to the job. When I was there the girl who was responsible for it was useless and didn't want to learn. It was crazy. The majority of the staff couldn't understand how she was still in the job as she was given it with no interview after the previous post-holder passed away. I explained to them what to do, where to go, where to advertise, who to speak to multiple times...and they never listened. The only reason the company started advertising in Sci-Fi Magazine was because the owner's son told the management they should have been advertising in it, bearing in mind the management shot me down over it weeks before.

If it's not their idea, it's not a good idea.
- That's what all the staff said about the management.

You wouldn't believe what goes on in there - it's a pretty big company, well-placed, able to be a forerunner in an area such as film memorabilia, but it's run by an amateur manager who has no respect from their employees. They would never accept or acknowledge that the girl responsible for marketing couldn't do the job, and simply wasn't doing it correctly. If anything sustained damage they would nine times out of 10 brush it under the carpet or blame someone else for it - I saw it all the time. It happened to me and even I as a freelance employee received no apology; for example, they ruined a 1966 Batman three sheet FFS and didn't care.

The top and bottom of it guys is that the management and much of the floor staff just aren't bothered.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #1092 on: November 29, 2016, 09:38:12 AM »

The top and bottom of it guys is that the management and much of the floor staff just aren't bothered.
this sounds like Ewbanks too!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1093 on: November 29, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
The management does not believe in the value of forums.
Very odd.

Wow.  All very enlightening.

By the sounds of it, better off out of it all.

Best.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1094 on: November 29, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
Adam, is the Dr No quad that is being discussed the same copy that was offered by Vectis over 2 years ago (and also advertised here on APF)?

Don't miss this event - Tomorrow, Saturday July 12 at 12:00pm GMT.

Some fantastic and unique items are going under the hammer including these:

DR. NO (1962) UK Quad

Thanks for the support and we wish all bidders well.

-Jeff

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #1095 on: November 29, 2016, 04:29:40 PM »
this sounds like Ewbanks too!

I've heard good and bad things, as with anywhere, but believe me, they would have to go places to beat Vectis!

Wow.  All very enlightening.

By the sounds of it, better off out of it all.

Best.

Yes, I am better off out of it.
It was incredibly stressful every single time I stepped foot in there.

I didn't just do one job; I was doing five peoples jobs in one because everyone knew I did it properly and so when they rebuffed my request for a rise in what they were paying me I knew I wouldn't last much longer. I'm not talking a £10.00 rise per hour here mind...I'm talking about just £5.00 extra PER DAY!

The manager might as well have blamed me for the failure of the poster auctions, which is an absolute disgrace.
I remember them telling me once they told the owner they'd give me another chance. I was like WTF!? What about the non-existent marketing? What about the ignorance and petulance?
They said to me Vectis was a team so I duly explained how that was a load of bollocks.

The best one for me in the marketing was when I noticed an ad that was due to go into a major trade mag for company-wide advertising. I asked one of the computer guys in there who created the design and before he answered I told him if that was in an ad agency it would have been thrown in the bin (if you don't know about ad agencies, you must have a thick skin because you get told stuff is crap a lot until it's done). As it happened, the girl responsible for marketing designed it. Anyway, I took it away and redesigned it and then I took it back and the guy said he would sort it. Next day I went in my usual time and asked him if he got it sent off. He hadn't. I asked why and he said it was because the marketing girl went in before he finished and told him to use hers and not mine. I was mad, but I also laughed at the incompetency that was on display. It was remarkable.

I could go on and on and on about the place.

Adam, is the Dr No quad that is being discussed the same copy that was offered by Vectis over 2 years ago (and also advertised here on APF)?

Yes, same one, Jeff.
What happened is that after it was removed from the frame, rolled and then unrolled after delivery all the flaws and quite shoddy restoration came to light.
The seller didn't even realise how bad the workmanship was prior this!
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1096 on: November 30, 2016, 01:14:56 AM »

Yes, same one, Jeff.
What happened is that after it was removed from the frame, rolled and then unrolled after delivery all the flaws and quite shoddy restoration came to light.
The seller didn't even realise how bad the workmanship was prior this!

That No quad certainly seems to be making the auction rounds, eh Adam? What a story that piece of paper could tell.  coffee

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1097 on: December 01, 2016, 12:53:29 PM »
Looks like this one is already well underway. Did any APF'ers, especially those in the UK, make a bid for anything that was offered?

http://www.bloomsburyauctions.com/cms/pages/auction/19214

-Jeff

Offline basemem

• Hobbyist
    • Poster Collector
« Reply #1098 on: December 01, 2016, 02:15:32 PM »
Jeff, the results on that auction seem to show a lot of unsold items

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1099 on: December 01, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »

It was me that bought it.  And sent it back.