Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 516218 times)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #1050 on: May 17, 2016, 12:05:54 AM »
The images are hard to view on a mobile device as they are darkish and small and is not possible to stretch screen bigger to see the images, need to click each item to assess whether it looks good.  I don't buy on film title but the art but I can't easily see all the posters. It probably is better on desktop PCs, just mobile for me is too difficult. I don't have the patience required to open every thumbnail to enlarge it to see the art. However, good luck to bidders and sellers.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1051 on: May 17, 2016, 12:44:31 AM »
The photo quality (or lack thereof) in this auction, has been a bit of discussion on MOPO.  :-\

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1052 on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:35 AM »
Yes, image quality AND detailed information are both up for improvement...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1053 on: May 17, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »
As mentioned on MOPO by Morris Everett this morning (and a US auction for you, Paul  ;) ):

"We finally are up and running with 605 lots of goodies being auctioned starting at 1:00 pm on Saturday June 4th at Cinevent. 405 lots of primo stills collected since 1938 by Alan Turner who was a staple at Marc Ricci's Memory shop in NYC.

200 lots of posters, lobby cards and other surprises. Contact the Last Moving Picture Co. for bids and info.

This is the third auction of Alan's collection of 186,000 stills and there will be two more in '17 and '18. Then we will work on another collection. Just in case the link is not live in this post, go to:  http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com

Thanks! See you in Columbus!"

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 01:18:00 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1054 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:34 PM »
Having just played with this site a little, please be aware that the search function only seems to work when you are on Page 1 of the seven pages.

When on page 6 (for example), searching for Clint, nothing came up.  This was duplicated with Jill, Rathbone, and others,

When on Page 1, the search function brought up examples of all the above.

Strange.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1055 on: May 18, 2016, 07:54:41 PM »
The photo quality (or lack thereof) in this auction, has been a bit of discussion on MOPO.  :-\

Have just had a look at this discussion....  I am not a visitor to this forum, or discussion group, or however one should describe this method of chatting, but;

1. There is no doubting that the images could be a Lot better than what is currently on Invaluable.  Politeness aside, (even if this really is an issue in shouty forums spaces), a suggested norm for an image that depicts as is, is still a long way from the current presentation.  Especially for the quality titles on offer for what may be the Excalibur inaugural sale.

2.  Mopo is a really strange forum...!  It might have started in 1995, but has it ever been updated Since 1995?

Come on Ade buddy.  There may or may not be some tacticians in evidence, but this is still a long way from the Cineart shop and site you operated in times past.

Wishing you luck and progress nonetheless.

S.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1056 on: May 20, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
Soler y Llach, of Spain, is having this auction on May 24th.

It's called:  "Important Paper Collectibles: Advertising, Cinema, Comics & Posters"

https://www.soleryllach.com/soler4/catalogo/0454-1

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1057 on: May 20, 2016, 04:23:17 PM »
A 'Find' from left of field sir...

How on earth did you manage to find this one?

The Goldfinger poster they have is remarkably modern by today's standards.

Best.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1058 on: May 29, 2016, 02:54:57 PM »
http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/searchLots.cfm?scp=c&catalogRef=1QLFN5O0LL

Adrian Cowdry has started up Excalibur Auctions - he has something later this month with an array of nice looking items...

Did anyone note prices and successes for the above auction?

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1059 on: May 29, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
The Harry Potter Azkaban lenticular, which in my opinion was mis-described, sold for £4000. The guide prices/reserves were unrealistic and most lots passed.

Mark

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1060 on: May 30, 2016, 05:41:08 AM »
Mis-described in which sense?  Better than in actuality, or worse?

I saw in the Invaluable listing that there were only a couple of lots that appeared to have sale prices against them.  I was left wondering if the site was not updated correctly.  So, did all those lots without a price, or just £0 against them, not sell?

Wonder if even the cost of the venue was covered in this case then.  But from an absentee bidding point of view and internet bidding, the images did nothing to encourage interest or faith.

Hope all turns out better next time.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1061 on: May 30, 2016, 07:16:42 AM »
It was described as a UK poster. I'm guessing 60-80% of lots passed - there was almost zero interest in the autographs. There also seemed to be some technical problems with the internet service. Its a shame because it was a great venue and the items were in generally nice condition. The high reserves killed it in my opinion and they probably should have had more posters and less autographs.

Mark

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1062 on: May 31, 2016, 08:39:26 AM »
Very impressive Magic Poster Auction - Part I of the Nielsen Magic Poster Collection goes on the block on June 25th
There is at least one movie poster, this one made famous by being on The Bruce's home search page everytime I log in.
Est. $40K-60K

Expected to go even higher is this phenomenal poster with the following description:

Houdini, Harry (Ehrich Weisz). Houdini Presents His Own Original Invention. The Greatest Sensational Mystery Ever Attempted In This or Any Other Age. Cincinnati: The Strobridge Litho. Co., 1916. Vibrant and imposing poster advertising what is perhaps the most famous of all of Houdini’s escapes, the fabled Water Torture Cell. Text at the bottom of the poster advertises a $1,000 reward to anyone who can prove Houdini can breathe while upside down in the “water filled torture cell.” 39 x 84". Image uniformly toned, very tiny scattered restoration; A-. Rare. Built in England at the tremendous cost of some $10,000, Houdini’s Water Torture cell was both a sensational and important escape device. The artist’s representation of the Cell in this poster is unusual in that it includes an outer jail-like framework around the tank. Early on, a cell-like device was lowered into the water, apparently adding a further layer of difficulty to the escape. This was later discarded. Outer bars were less-frequently used, though spectators were invited to secure them with their own locks, adding yet another layer of difficulty to the feat. Houdini’s earlier water escape, the Milk Can, was brilliant for its time, but easy for his imitators to copy, construct, and perform. The Water Torture Cell, on the other hand, was not so easily duplicated. Importantly it allowed the audience to see him while submerged, an innovation that made the stunt both sensational and an audience favorite. Of the effect, Houdini himself wrote, “Imagine yourself jammed head foremost in a cell filled with water, your hands and feet unable to move, and your shoulders tightly lodged in this imprisonment. I believe it is the climax of all my studies and labors. Never will I be able to construct anything that will be more dangerous or difficult for me to do.

http://www.potterauctions.com/

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1063 on: May 31, 2016, 09:45:21 AM »
 :o The water torture poster is very cool. Thanks for sharing. Wowza. I always like the George the Supreme Master of Magic posters for the imagery. I believe CSM told me that the larger one from 1928 (of 51, item #96 were never used due to his tour being canceled. Which makes them more common and thankfully a little less pricy. But the Houdini. Man o man great stuff!

Mirosae

« Reply #1064 on: May 31, 2016, 10:05:17 AM »
Those Houdini posters can really make your "savings " disappear..lol they go for good pennies.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1065 on: June 04, 2016, 12:19:46 AM »
Posted by Morrie.... Saturday, June 4th is auction day:

"Auction starts tomorrow--  Saturday 1:00 PM  EST 
400 lots of stills and 200 lots of posters
Live online bidding

Thanks for your support once a year!!!"

http://www.hollywoodposterauction.com

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1066 on: June 21, 2016, 08:30:11 AM »
Astons have an incredible collection of what must be ALL the posters for Where Eagles Dare.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/search-results?searchTerm=where+eagles+dare&whereToSearch=%2Fen-gb%2Fsearch-results

Someone had fun compiling this lot.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1067 on: June 21, 2016, 11:58:27 AM »
Another auction house that doesn't know what it's selling...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1068 on: June 22, 2016, 05:45:13 AM »
Based on.... the estimates??

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1069 on: June 22, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »
Based on the "1st release" Quad that's a re-release from the 70's...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline m154cath

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1070 on: June 22, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
I've bought a few bargains from Astons recently especially as pretty local. Just a shame they've bundled the posters so much as most of the time I'm only after one out of the 20-30 they have for auction. Ready made for dealers im afraid!

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #1071 on: June 22, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
What price do you guys think those Houdini posters will actually sell for? Those are bad ass.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1072 on: June 22, 2016, 02:56:31 PM »
What price do you guys think those Houdini posters will actually sell for? Those are bad ass.

Hey Aj - where are you seeing the Houdini posters? I cant find em.

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #1073 on: June 22, 2016, 06:07:50 PM »
Jeffro: Heres the Houdinis. http://www.potterauctions.com

Very impressive Magic Poster Auction - Part I of the Nielsen Magic Poster Collection goes on the block on June 25th
There is at least one movie poster, this one made famous by being on The Bruce's home search page everytime I log in.
Est. $40K-60K

Expected to go even higher is this phenomenal poster with the following description:

Houdini, Harry (Ehrich Weisz). Houdini Presents His Own Original Invention. The Greatest Sensational Mystery Ever Attempted In This or Any Other Age. Cincinnati: The Strobridge Litho. Co., 1916. Vibrant and imposing poster advertising what is perhaps the most famous of all of Houdini’s escapes, the fabled Water Torture Cell. Text at the bottom of the poster advertises a $1,000 reward to anyone who can prove Houdini can breathe while upside down in the “water filled torture cell.” 39 x 84". Image uniformly toned, very tiny scattered restoration; A-. Rare. Built in England at the tremendous cost of some $10,000, Houdini’s Water Torture cell was both a sensational and important escape device. The artist’s representation of the Cell in this poster is unusual in that it includes an outer jail-like framework around the tank. Early on, a cell-like device was lowered into the water, apparently adding a further layer of difficulty to the escape. This was later discarded. Outer bars were less-frequently used, though spectators were invited to secure them with their own locks, adding yet another layer of difficulty to the feat. Houdini’s earlier water escape, the Milk Can, was brilliant for its time, but easy for his imitators to copy, construct, and perform. The Water Torture Cell, on the other hand, was not so easily duplicated. Importantly it allowed the audience to see him while submerged, an innovation that made the stunt both sensational and an audience favorite. Of the effect, Houdini himself wrote, “Imagine yourself jammed head foremost in a cell filled with water, your hands and feet unable to move, and your shoulders tightly lodged in this imprisonment. I believe it is the climax of all my studies and labors. Never will I be able to construct anything that will be more dangerous or difficult for me to do.

http://www.potterauctions.com/

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1074 on: June 22, 2016, 06:09:46 PM »
Oh man.. those are fantastic!  faint2.gif

Thanks, Jason.

-Jeff