Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 523369 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #1025 on: January 31, 2016, 03:34:55 PM »
the starting prices in this supposed auction are retail list prices. It's no surprise that so many lots are passed

and:
Yep.  That is a true statistic.

It's fun to watch the slideshow, though, and wonder which ones will get any bids.  Unlike some auction houses where they pretend like every lot has actual bids.

what auction houses do you think "pretend like every lot has actual bids" ??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #1026 on: January 31, 2016, 03:37:37 PM »
If the bids don't meet the high reserves, then don't they display "Reserve Not Met" after the auction ends?

You said "they pretend like every lot has actual bids".

Well, they can't do that when there's a secret reserve.  

what auction houses do you think "pretend like every lot has actual bids" ??

It's no secret what many auction houses do.

For the record, I wasn't implying your site. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:53:17 PM by Neo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1027 on: January 31, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
Only 30 out of the 221 poster lots sold, when all was said and done.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1028 on: January 31, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
So 27 for Matt and 3 for me.  Sounds about right.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1029 on: January 31, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »
Well, they can't do that when there's a secret reserve.  
It's no secret what many auction houses do.
For the record, I wasn't implying your site.  

I'm just curious what auction site you're talking about. It's not like there are many movie poster auctions around
you have HA, MPE, EMP & my own MPB

are you talking 'actual shill bidding' or are you talking 'bidding against the book' (aka, absentee bids left by bidders to be executed by the auction house as bidding continues)

can you post actual examples of shill bidding the way that one of our members (Zac) has researched ShutterIslandOVMP here on APF?

« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 04:38:57 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #1030 on: January 31, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
So 27 for Matt and 3 for me.  Sounds about right.

T

Not me!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1031 on: February 01, 2016, 09:40:32 AM »
I'm just curious what auction site you're talking about. It's not like there are many movie poster auctions around
you have HA, MPE, EMP & my own MPB

Possibly the Ewbanks auction I had mentioned earlier...

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #1032 on: February 01, 2016, 11:01:25 AM »
My experience of auction rooms in the UK is that some auctioneers clearly identify all or some lots which pass and others do not. If an auctioneer has proxy bids on his book, the highest of which is still below the reserve, he will start the bidding off and up to that maximum. If there is no interest from the room or the internet he brings the hammer down. It may appear that the lot has been won by someone but the auctioneer was simply bidding on behalf of the absentee bidder(s) as instructed and the lot did not sell.

Mark

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #1033 on: February 01, 2016, 12:11:05 PM »
I got three of the Hungarian posters. Roman Holiday, the Fencing poster, and Battle of Algiers. I'm sure I overpaid for the Roman Holiday poster, but it's one of my favorite films and I have a soft spot for this school of design.

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #1034 on: February 01, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »
My experience of auction rooms in the UK is that some auctioneers clearly identify all or some lots which pass and others do not. If an auctioneer has proxy bids on his book, the highest of which is still below the reserve, he will start the bidding off and up to that maximum. If there is no interest from the room or the internet he brings the hammer down. It may appear that the lot has been won by someone but the auctioneer was simply bidding on behalf of the absentee bidder(s) as instructed and the lot did not sell.

Mark

This was the way Sotheby's and Christie's would do it in the U.S. as well, when I regularly attended their auctions in the 1990s. The auctioneer would slam down the hammer and, at the same exact time, in a whisper, say "Pass" (those from England said "Pahhss").

I hated that practice then, and hope they abandoned it.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1035 on: February 01, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »

at Profiles in History, when an item passes they say "paddle #XXXX" and it is obvious after a few passed lots that said numbers (not always the same from one lot to the next) are to identify unsold lots. Profiles doesn't get too many unsold lots - probably hovers around a few percent at most. I looked at the unsold lots from the Morrie auction and there was a low amount and it was obvious why some lots did not sell [opening bid too high]

Heritage just notes the item has passed and it is still available on HA.com and if you are watching the live auction, there is no mistake that the item did not sell.
I also know that Grey doesn't take very many lots with reserves anymore. He wants to sell the stuff and get the commission.

-------

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #1036 on: February 06, 2016, 08:23:12 PM »
some high stakes stuff going on at Swann’s.  This Toulouse-Lautrec estimated to go
 US $60,000.00 - US $90,000.00 with a starting bid of 44k!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HENRI-DE-TOULOUSE-LAUTREC-1864-1901-ARISTIDE-BRUANT-DANS-SON-CABA-Lot-440-/201507664353?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D569f985ae4b0b00cd2ec9fad%26rpp_icid%3D569f9858e4b0414e79f2f369

Mirosae

« Reply #1037 on: February 07, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »
^ Something else is going on there too..I am keeping an eye to see how much it will go for... :P

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1038 on: February 17, 2016, 03:21:37 PM »
Paddle8 has another auction ending soon, that also includes film posters.

Close date is Feb 24th.

https://paddle8.com/auction/printsandmultiples/

-Jeff

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #1039 on: February 17, 2016, 11:33:24 PM »
Battle of Algiers.

Great deal on that one.  Congrats!  Id have gone max blast for that one if i had realized the auction was going on before hand. 
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #1040 on: February 18, 2016, 09:39:03 AM »
Paddle8 has another auction ending soon, that also includes film posters.

Urgh.  More of those infuriating "Starting Bids" that are actually list price.  A pox on all these auction houses...
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #1041 on: February 18, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
Very true.  Prices are way too high.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #1042 on: February 18, 2016, 04:36:11 PM »
It hurts more when it starts very low and suddenly 7m bidders pop and it  goes all high up  im talking to Planet Mars high sort of level. I thought this was a hobby for a few "selected" nerds .. feels more like thousands of herds

Can't  people buy cars or shoes instead?  Handbags anyone?

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #1043 on: March 25, 2016, 11:20:41 PM »
Good luck to all of those bidding in tomorrow's HA auction. So many gorgeous pieces of paper--varying condition though. I hope I win something (I work all weekend---so it's all snipe bids) but at the same time, i hope I'm outbid on everything. Soooo pins-and-needles suspenseful / nerve-wracking!

But again, good luck to everyone.

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1044 on: May 13, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
As posted to MOPO.

Excalibur Auctions, happening May 28th, with over 600 lots.

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/excaliburauctions/catalogue-id-excali10000

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1045 on: May 13, 2016, 06:15:04 PM »
Why do people post UK auctions and none from the States.???
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1046 on: May 14, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »
Paul you'll have to ask Adrian C, your fellow countryman, as he's the one who posted it to MOPO.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2016, 10:35:48 AM »
I was meaning on here. It always seems to be UK auctions, like there is none in the US..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #1048 on: May 15, 2016, 12:48:10 PM »
I havent seen any notifications of any kind for other larger US auctions, tho I know lots of little ones are happening all the time in various cities.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #1049 on: May 16, 2016, 05:34:36 PM »
http://www.invaluable.com/catalog/searchLots.cfm?scp=c&catalogRef=1QLFN5O0LL

Adrian Cowdry has started up Excalibur Auctions - he has something later this month with an array of nice looking items...