Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 525834 times)

Mirosae

Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #900 on: July 28, 2015, 01:14:15 PM »
now I own original release cards from 3 of my very favorite Keaton short films: Cops, The High Sign and The Playhouse!!  I am a very happy boy!!

WoW... we need to send the pirates out to your island to get those treasures out of your hands!!! Hehe

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #901 on: August 01, 2015, 06:56:38 PM »
Not really an 'event' as such... Well, it might all be a matter of perspective.

But it seems http://www.atthemovies.co.uk/ has had a makeover; a new shop, a new site and an opening event with some characters you probably wouldn't want around your Christmas table.

Fair play though, I am not sure how she managed to get anyone to pop along to the opening of a shop...  Maybe they all share the same hair salon.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #902 on: August 03, 2015, 01:06:44 AM »
friends?

"get an amazing, "one off" poster"

friends.

haha, but well done, shit, I'm lucky to get a wave from a hobo when i do a market stall :)
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #903 on: August 04, 2015, 03:51:59 AM »
Ah yes.  The 'one-off' poster.  I did note that as well.

But fair play to them all.  I am not sure they could get past the fake tans, breast implants and Marcel waves to realise that perhaps a film marketing company, in the interests of a film's success, would understand mass marketing would mean that more than one poster was ever produced.

Bless.

However, I think Tamara was about to buy the Thunderball quad so she can't be all bad!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Cinevent Schedule for 2016 & 2017
« Reply #904 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:56 AM »
We now have date and location information for CINEVENT 48 in 2016 and CINEVENT 49 in 2017. Both conventions will be held at the Renaissance Columbus Downtown Hotel, as this year's convention was. The 2016 convention will be held from Thursday June 2nd through Sunday June 5th. In 2017, the convention will be held from Thursday May 25th to Sunday May 28th. More details will be available soon!

Great to hear!!

clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline originalcinemaposters

• Collector
« Reply #905 on: August 24, 2015, 05:30:26 AM »
I have some stuff going in this auction...
http://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/Vintage-Poster/2015-09-04

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #906 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
The Goldfinger Hand Quad isn't yours is it??

• Collector
« Reply #907 on: August 24, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »
nope, nothing quite so high value, although, i do have some very interesting Pulp Fiction Acetates i am letting go

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #908 on: August 24, 2015, 02:58:00 PM »
And talking of Hand Quads, seems there is one in the up and coming Heritage Bond affair, nicely timed to open with some movie or other.

Not seen these for sale / auction is years, and like buses...

• Collector
« Reply #909 on: August 25, 2015, 06:18:20 AM »
yes, its a good draw, i have a number of bond items in there but not the Hand Goldfinger unfortunately

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #910 on: August 26, 2015, 02:12:16 AM »
I think I'm done buying from Ewbanks, it's such a twat on getting stuff sent on.  I have no problems with other auction houses, but these..  moron1
It's more than a Hobby...

• Collector
« Reply #911 on: August 26, 2015, 03:27:22 AM »
what do you mean Paul? what experiences have you had? i know Alistair and would like to give feedback to him.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #912 on: August 26, 2015, 04:48:34 AM »
I'm curious about your experiences too please, Paul?

I was tempted by something in the last auction, but the lack of transparency/information on shipping/packing methods and cost put me off.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #913 on: August 26, 2015, 06:14:48 AM »
I know Alaster also, and he seems to try his best, but my last items took 6 weeks+ to get here. It seems they are keen to get you to bid and take your money, but getting stuff to you, they don't give a toss then. My last lot of items, when they arrived, there was two missing, one of which was sent out after I'd rang them, the other still missing...  A fellow member from the U.S. here,  bid and was told they wouldn't post to him, luckily I got his lot sent with mine after waiting, I'm tempted to say weeks, but months covers it better.

When I spoke to Alaster, and another member of their team on separate occasions about the problems, I was told it's up to me to sort out getting my lots I'd won....  When I explained that people from all over the world not just the U.K. may want a postal option. I was told they are not bothered as it's never affected their sales figures, and they are there to sell, and are not a postal service!!

The descriptions are very vague, so if you want to bid on a few items, it's a right chew on, and it's slow getting the right info. So I'm afraid unless there's something I must have at any cost, I'll give them a miss, anyway they won't even miss my meagre input of funds... 

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #914 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:31 AM »
Interesting, thanks Paul.

I'm hardly mr money bags, so perhaps they don't care, but my money stays in my pocket when I see vague descriptions, no photos and lack of clarity on shipping costs/methods...it's too much of a gamble in this day and age. If they want to stay a local auction house, that's fine, but seems a shame for their consignees.

• Collector
« Reply #915 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:47 AM »
such a shame Paul, its going to make me think twice about consigning with them hearing this.

Paul

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #916 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:36 PM »
Tob, I'm guessing if you turn up in person all will be fine, but for us long distance fellows... eyeroll

Paul, if it's working for you stick with it. The one thing I have noticed with them is the estimates are getting higher and higher.... not to bad if your selling with them, no good if your after a bargain, or even just a good deal.

• Collector
« Reply #917 on: August 27, 2015, 02:20:51 AM »
Estimates dont mean a thing really its the price realised that matters, and my last lots were a real mixed bag, some below, some in the estimate and some above. I would let estimates put you off as other than one or two bits mine have no reserve and thats the same for a lot of the lots
Paul

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #918 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:48 AM »
Estimates dont mean a thing really its the price realised that matters, and my last lots were a real mixed bag, some below, some in the estimate and some above. I would let estimates put you off as other than one or two bits mine have no reserve and thats the same for a lot of the lots
Paul

I do know that Paul, but when they start putting estimates up, it does make a lot of non-seasoned collectors think, I'll go that bit more. The two main tricks Auction house use before there's any bidding are, the low "come and get me", to hope there's a bidding war, and the high "it must be worth more that I thought", so people bid more. Even if they can just eek one more bid on a lot, they are up. Auction houses are not there to help the collector, just take money from them, as is clearly how Ewbanks are thinking. I don't fault them for that, but you would think they would have some gratitude to those who pay their wage's. I believe shop-keepers, and good Auction houses call it "customer care".

Also the trouble with the High estimate is, 90% of auction houses will only drop say 20% below the bottom estimate, so they are on a winner either way. if you get my drift.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #919 on: August 28, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
Tales of woe, to be sure.

I have only bought once from them and that was via telephone bidding and I am local enough to swan over and pick the old blighter up.

If that response of 'we don't care, we aren't a postal service' is true, then it does seem to be very much against the grain of advertising their wares via several worldly conglomerate auction sites such as Saleroom.  Clearly a website can be accessed anywhere in the world, but equally clearly, being on Saleroom is essentially saying they will service the world.  Which in my estimation, includes posting.

How else would one go about it?  Have a courier pick it up from the auction house, unwrapped and unprotected.  Toss it in the back of his van.  Get it to their shipping depot whereby someone will pack what is left into a tube - and then ship it??

Maybe I am blessed only with an experience of Heritage and EMP, both of whom do stand-up shipping.  So, is the above how it works in other smaller auction houses?  "You can win it, but then you're on your own."

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #920 on: August 28, 2015, 10:28:13 AM »
I do know that Paul, but when they start putting estimates up, it does make a lot of non-seasoned collectors think, I'll go that bit more. The two main tricks Auction house use before there's any bidding are, the low "come and get me", to hope there's a bidding war, and the high "it must be worth more that I thought", so people bid more. Even if they can just eek one more bid on a lot, they are up. Auction houses are not there to help the collector, just take money from them, as is clearly how Ewbanks are thinking. I don't fault them for that, but you would think they would have some gratitude to those who pay their wage's. I believe shop-keepers, and good Auction houses call it "customer care".

Also the trouble with the High estimate is, 90% of auction houses will only drop say 20% below the bottom estimate, so they are on a winner either way. if you get my drift.

Well put
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #921 on: August 28, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
Tales of woe, to be sure.

I have only bought once from them and that was via telephone bidding and I am local enough to swan over and pick the old blighter up.

If that response of 'we don't care, we aren't a postal service' is true, then it does seem to be very much against the grain of advertising their wares via several worldly conglomerate auction sites such as Saleroom.  Clearly a website can be accessed anywhere in the world, but equally clearly, being on Saleroom is essentially saying they will service the world.  Which in my estimation, includes posting.

How else would one go about it?  Have a courier pick it up from the auction house, unwrapped and unprotected.  Toss it in the back of his van.  Get it to their shipping depot whereby someone will pack what is left into a tube - and then ship it??

Maybe I am blessed only with an experience of Heritage and EMP, both of whom do stand-up shipping.  So, is the above how it works in other smaller auction houses?  "You can win it, but then you're on your own."

That is exactly how it works Simon. One has to contact a third party to pick the said items up, take them to their place of work, package them and then send them off.  Alaster contacted the third party for me last time, but to be honest it turned out worse, and I'm still a poster from a lot down... The Third party gets your invoice and packs to that. hence they missed one of mine off and lost another..  They can also see what you've paid. It's not quite the ticket.  If it was worth the 6 hour journey down and 6 hours back, I may do it, but that's all cost on to what ones pays, not to mention time.

guest4744

Movie, Circus, Advertising, Travel & Others - Sept. 19th & 20th Auction
« Reply #922 on: August 28, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
Potter & Potter Auctions, Inc. of Chicago is conducting a two-day auction that includes over 1000 lots, many of which are vintage posters, in a wide range of categories. Included in the sale are the following:

-Vintage Movie Posters and Lobby Cards, including rare and unique examples.
-Vintage Travel Posters
-Circus posters and broadsides
-Broadway and music posters and window cards
-Vintage Product Advertising Posters

The sale will be conducted live in our Chicago gallery on Sept. 19th and 20th. Absentee and phone bids are accepted, and the auction will also run online at Liveauctioneers.com and Invaluable.com.

Below are a few sample images of lots in the auction. The Dracula poster shown here - lot 37 in the auction - is the only known example ever offered for public sale.

Potter & Potter Auctions, Inc.
3759 N. Ravenswood Ave. Suite 121
Chicago, IL 60613
773-472-1442
info@potterauctions.com
www.potterauctions.com

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: Movie, Circus, Advertising, Travel & Others - Sept. 19th & 20th Auction
« Reply #923 on: August 28, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »
Best of Luck! Nice lots! The coin op magic machines are very very neat too! faint2.gif

Offline mwright

• Hobbyist
Re: Movie, Circus, Advertising, Travel & Others - Sept. 19th & 20th Auction
« Reply #924 on: August 28, 2015, 01:01:45 PM »
My jaw just hit the floor.  Great auction.