Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 523569 times)

Charlie

Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #550 on: May 15, 2013, 08:56:42 PM »
 uhno  Guess I'll never make that trip...  The auction is affiliated with Cinevent right?  Rich, Bruce, Sean you've got to talk some sense into whom ever runs that auction....

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
not exactly affiliated
more like "takes place at"

and here's an upcoming event

ps: this auction has No Reserves and all items start at just 99 cents!!

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:16:25 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
I reckon the prices are steep too, however I spotted a TWA New York poster with reserve of $200 that I think could fetch $1K-$2K. A slightly older (better) variant fetched around $10K at Christies and David Pollacks site has a lesser version for around $3K

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #554 on: May 15, 2013, 11:34:06 PM »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #555 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »
The hollywoodposterauction one says size is 27x41 but it should be 25x40, however it says "Re-release:No".

The images in the auctions are not good and the descriptions are not good either. I guess nothing in the description differentiates the poster as an original or a reprint. Maybe it is a reprint? If that was the case, that auction item sounds misleading.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:51:22 PM by 50s »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #556 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »
Some people say they are going to have a major auction, and then Heritage keeps knocking them out of the park.
Went to look for a particular item in the upcoming July auction to see how a piece looks after restoration and came across these two amazing jumbo lobbies:

The real prize of the auction hasn't had it's image posted yet, but keep watching this space: http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7078&lotIdNo=39001
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Bruce

« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2013, 07:59:02 PM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:50 PM »
Those JLCs are quite a sight.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #559 on: May 22, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »
Frankenstein (Universal, 1931). Insert (14" X 36").
At last this great poster has surfaced! After 82 years of lying dormant, the Monster has finally arrived in the form of this amazing and stunning insert. For years, collectors have been searching for the lost poster sizes on this immortal and legendary horror classic but to date, only a few one sheets, a single six sheet, a partial half sheet and lobby cards have surfaced! This is the only confirmed insert poster for the film. And while Frankenstein was not the first horror film from Universal, it is the most famous. The studio had produced a number of horror related films based on important novels, including The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923), The Phantom of the Opera (1925), and Dracula (1931), and with the success of each film, the studio looked for additional properties they could adapt for the screen. The stage play of Frankenstein by Peggy Webling was quickly secured and the film went into production. James Whale was given the directorial duties and Boris Karloff the pivotal role of the Monster. The rest as they say, is the stuff of legend, as the film went on to become an international sensation and is still regarded as the most important film in the annals of Universal horror. The borders on this poster had been trimmed at one time. However, the trimming was just up to the edge of the art. In the top edge there was a slight trim just into the upper yellow band. The borders were replaced as was a small chip out of the upper left corner that just went into the dark brown background and the edge of the blue band. The poster also had a few very small tears. There was one that extended into the "F" of the title, as well as three additional tiny tears into the brown background on the left side. The poster was never folded. However, it does have a slight crease that runs horizontally through Dwight Frye and Edward Van Sloan's credits. There are two other minor horizontal creases, both in the Monster's head. There was a bit of color touchup to some stress lines in the lower blue band by Universal's credit. There was some very minor color correction done to the Monster's portrait, as there appears to have been some slight fading. Yet it is extremely hard to accurately determine, due to this being the only known example. There has been some slight bit of color retouch done to the lower areas of the poster as well. And although this is the only confirmed insert known to exist, there are two known similar Australian daybills, both done in a different layout and color. This extreme rarity may never come to market again so seize this chance to acquire this while you can. Rolled, Fine+

Interesting tidbit about the daybills - also wonder where and how this was found (hopefully not in Haggard's garage) and what the estimate will be?
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #560 on: May 23, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »
there are two known similar Australian daybills, +[/i]
Interesting tidbit about the daybills

This is a pretty well-known tidbit. John certainly talked about it in one of his daybill articles.
More interesting is that both of them reside in the USA and not in Australia.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Charlie

« Reply #561 on: May 23, 2013, 05:45:21 AM »
Heritage keeps knocking them out of the park.

eyeroll Along with the 99%...  Still a nice poster though.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #562 on: May 23, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
This is a pretty well-known tidbit. John certainly talked about it in one of his daybill articles.
More interesting is that both of them reside in the USA and not in Australia.

Yes I was aware of their existence - what I was getting at was the "both done in a different layout and color" - I took this to mean a style A + B daybill but after rereading appears HA was just stating they are the same but different to the insert artwork...
Chris

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #563 on: May 23, 2013, 12:55:51 PM »
I have just returned from Christies auction held this afternoon. I think it was their most uninspiring and uneventful movie poster sale in 18 years. There were just 15 - 20 attendees and almost 50% of the lots were unsold, presumably because of the ridiculously high guide prices. Perhaps all their time and effort was put into the morning session when a wonderful collection of travel posters were auctioned.

Craziest price was £3000 ($4534) plus 25% buyer's premium for a Breakfast at Tiffany's lobby card (Scene Card No 6).

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #564 on: May 23, 2013, 01:54:42 PM »
I think Christies film poster auctions have been going down the nick for the last few years..

Did you treat yourself to anything Mark?
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #565 on: May 23, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
I have just returned from Christies auction held this afternoon. I think it was their most uninspiring and uneventful movie poster sale in 18 years. There were just 15 - 20 attendees and almost 50% of the lots were unsold, presumably because of the ridiculously high guide prices. Perhaps all their time and effort was put into the morning session when a wonderful collection of travel posters were auctioned.

Mark

Maybe Christies buyers have finally figured out they can buy the exact same posters for less than half the price by spending five minutes on the Internet.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 01:55:19 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #566 on: May 23, 2013, 02:15:06 PM »
Maybe Christies buyers have finally figured out they can buy the exact same posters for less than half the price by spending five minutes on the Internet.

Yeah but as the argument goes on APF - "if you make $500 per hour is that 5 minutes really worth your time?"   eyeroll
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #567 on: May 23, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
I couldn't go in the end ...my two fav posters there were sold for a good price !! Shame I missed it..I had too much work..today ... :-\.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #568 on: May 23, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

No danger of that happening. I use the Jungle Book one sheet, which features in every auction, as a measure of informed research. Today's hammer price was £1200 ($1812) + 25% BP.

Mark

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #569 on: May 23, 2013, 04:11:18 PM »
No danger of that happening. I use the Jungle Book one sheet, which features in every auction, as a measure of informed research. Today's hammer price was £1200 ($1812) + 25% BP.

Mark

One of the seemingly neverending stash of trifolds I am assuming?  I could see a rolled one being worth that.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »
Hollwood Poster Auction starting at 2PM EDT (Eastern US time) today and will go on for seven hours(!).  Some of the stuff is overpriced and probably won't sell, but some stuff, especially some of the vintage posters, is worth checking out.  I've got three bids on some oldies (don't bid on those!):

Live Bidding system here:

http://live.auctagon.com/

Online catalog here:

http://hollywoodposterauction.com/auctions/18/lots/browse

If you do bid, don't forget to factor in the much-beloved 20% BP and 6% Ohio sales tax (apparently they're collecting it).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 10:30:10 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2013, 11:47:55 AM »
It starts at 1PM Mel,
you must be bidding on items in the first hour and are trying to keep people away.  ;)
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2013, 11:58:20 AM »
It starts at 1PM Mel,
you must be bidding on items in the first hour and are trying to keep people away.  ;)

laugh1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »
Its now 1;10PM, eastern, and the live auction page still shows Lot 1.

A delay in starting, maybe? Or something else?

Edit.. 1;16p, and we are live! ;)

I'm rather amazed, too, that info in the live auction window - important details like the year and size of the item (as well as it being backed or not) has been left blank on many items.  :-\

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 01:51:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #574 on: May 25, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
Its now 1;10PM, eastern, and the live auction page still shows Lot 1.

A delay in starting, maybe? Or something else?

Edit.. 1;16p, and we are live! ;)

I'm rather amazed, too, that info in the live auction window - important details like the year and size of the item (as well as it being backed or not) has been left blank on many items.  :-\

As of lot 110 and onward, the info looks to be more complete. 

-Jeff