Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 516048 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #500 on: April 03, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »

50s, you are welcome over any time you are in town. cheers 

Matt, before you go inviting everybody down to Jesusland, you should at least set out some rules.  wynk
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #501 on: April 03, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »

Matt, before you go inviting everybody down to Jesusland, you should at least set out some rules.  wynk

Don't worry, my house is one of the "safe houses" run by expats from the north.  There is a whole network running from Maryland to the free zone (New Orleans).  Now, I wouldn't recommend getting out of your vehicle.  Rules of the road that I've learned so far living down here:

• If you see a yellow light, gun it.
  • Even if it just turned red, go for it anyway.
  • However, you must be polite.
  • In fact, stop your car in 4 lane traffic to let people walk across in front of you.
  • Also, wave and smile at everyone you see, especially your worst enemies.
  • But never, under any circumstance, and I mean NEVER use your turn signal.
Those tips should get you to my house alive.  cheers

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #502 on: April 03, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
It's tough to get a bargain these days. Ebay is so well structured and the searches refined to a point where few if any items get overlooked.
Only those who've picked up real bargains through obscure auctions etc will know the exhilaration of getting a $350 poster for $5. I think a lot of collectors are just resigned to paying the going rate, and perhaps even resent others getting a bargain.
This is me -  :-X

+ I don't think bargains per se are to be had on eBay. Either way whether you are a buyer or a seller you have to work hard for the money...
David

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #503 on: April 03, 2013, 10:30:44 PM »
Matt, you forgot the most important part of driving in New Orleans

always flash your boobies

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #504 on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
+ I don't think bargains per se are to be had on eBay. Either way whether you are a buyer or a seller you have to work hard for the money...

I would qualify that there aren't many epic bargains on eBay anymore (i.e. $1000+ posters for <$100).  However, I consider a $100 poster for $50 a bargain.  Or a $500 poster for $2-300 a bargain.  If you classify it that way I've gotten hundreds of bargains on eBay over the last 6 years and there are plenty more to come.  A couple just yesterday in fact... it just takes patience and a lot of sniffing around.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #505 on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:49 PM »

I live in SC, but I'll be down in NOLA this weekend in fact!  So wait, am I supposed to flash my boobies?  Or look at boobies being flashed while driving?  Either way the level of safety seems on par with normal driving in the South so I guess I'll be ok. 

ozcinemagic

« Reply #506 on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:03 AM »
I consider a $100 poster for $50 a bargain.
For collecting that's okay. If you want to re-sell and make a living, there's not enough in it. Shipping, fees and your own labour costs cancel out the gains. I used to get plenty off ebay and other auctions but they're too competetive now. I look outside the internet mostly.
Some dealers in older posters have huge inventories, but most need to replenish. I missed a nice selection of daybills recently. After seeing the prices some realised I wish I'd paid the seller's price. It's getting tougher to source quality vintage material at cheap prices. Bruce has a good article in his DYK files on the subject.

http://www.emovieposter.com/tips_archive.php?id=522

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #507 on: April 04, 2013, 01:28:37 AM »

Oh my goodness, mum has them out

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #508 on: April 04, 2013, 04:07:42 AM »
It's tough to get a bargain these days. Ebay is so well structured and the searches refined to a point where few if any items get overlooked.
Only those who've picked up real bargains through obscure auctions etc will know the exhilaration of getting a $350 poster for $5. I think a lot of collectors are just resigned to paying the going rate, and perhaps even resent others getting a bargain.
This is me -  :-X

I really like this guy, spot on Mark.

I used to get many Bargains at these local auctions, but over the last 3-4 years hardly ever......in fact I've been a member of this forum for the last 3-4 years....... eyeroll

All my recent bargains have come from my old contacts, guys who are tinning out their collections, or selling up in some case's. most of these fellows don't like the Bay, and refuse to sell at auction, in fact they will take less for a poster knowing it's going to a collector that will appreciate it, and give it a good home...  luckily there's quite a few of these old boys out there.

How many forum gobshites can bugger this up for me....none woohoo     Bargain hunters will always chase the bargain, I've had two this week, both private sales, and I'm off to view another fellows who is thinning out his collection this weekend.
It's more than a Hobby...

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #509 on: April 04, 2013, 12:31:21 PM »
Quote from: Harry Caul on April 03, 2013, 10:34:55 PM
I consider a $100 poster for $50 a bargain.
For collecting that's okay. If you want to re-sell and make a living, there's not enough in it. Shipping, fees and your own labour costs cancel out the gains.

To each their own, and everyone knows what their own time is worth, but I dream of being able to keystone items like that.
When dealing with top horror and sci-fi pieces I've been very happy buying to make anywhere from 5-25%
But my focus has always been on turnover and not stockpiling, my goal at Cinevent every year is to have at least 90% different inventory from the prior year.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

ozcinemagic

« Reply #510 on: April 04, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »
When dealing with top horror and sci-fi pieces I've been very happy buying to make anywhere from 5-25%

I think the margins are a bit different on items in the 5 & 6 figure range!

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #511 on: April 05, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
I think the margins are a bit different on items in the 5 & 6 figure range!

holds true for 3 and 4 figure posters also.
I view it like this: any fund manager would kill to make 5-25% on every single transaction they do.
So if I can buy any poster that I think the will provide a greater return than the best opportunity I have in the market at the same time, I will purchase the poster
(provided I like the poster/image - I always buy with a back of my mind belief that if everything was worthless tomorrow would I still be happy and enjoy what I have).
It has served me well so far
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2013, 05:49:49 PM »
everything Sean says here is correct, although it may also depend on other factors, like whether you have a brick-and-mortar location (retail or warehouse) that come with costs and/or customers ready to buy a certain % of these more expensive items quickly, reducing your exposure to some degree (just like with stocks where you hedge your bets). if not, you have to pay a lower % for these items

at the same time the further down the price scale you go, the profit margin neccessarily needs to increase exponentially to cover the amount of work and accrued costs of selling such items.

holds true for 3 and 4 figure posters also.
I view it like this: any fund manager would kill to make 5-25% on every single transaction they do.
So if I can buy any poster that I think the will provide a greater return than the best opportunity I have in the market at the same time, I will purchase the poster
(provided I like the poster/image - I always buy with a back of my mind belief that if everything was worthless tomorrow would I still be happy and enjoy what I have).
It has served me well so far

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

ozcinemagic

« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
I'm speculating, but I think you guys are buying in a recycled market, where the posters have already been turned over. My guess is you're forced to operate in the 5 - 25% range, and probably have few alternatives. In Aust we've been spoilt with higher margins because the hobby has traditionally been very small. That seems to be changing now that whole collections can be sent over to the US to be sold by companies like you guys run. Five years ago that wasn't the case. The seller had to take what they could get from just a few local buyers.
We're also seeing people like you bidding in our local auctions and driving up the prices. The market is changing and so are the margins, that seems to be certain. The good old days may be over ... Either that or I'll have to start digging through a lot more attics!  ;)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
On second thought, this Garth's auction totally blows.  The minimum bids are very high, sometimes way above the typical auction prices.  You can't bid anything LESS than the "suggested" bid, plus you have to pay the much-beloved 20% buyers premium.

The fact that Paul and Matt have screamed bloody murder about others revealing this stupid auction just shows how ridiculous they're acting and how most of these smaller auctions just suck anyway.

$200 minimum bid for this (plus 20% buyers premium)?  It's a $50 poster on Ebay.

The best poster of the auction starts at $2800 minimum bid (plus 20% buyer's premium).  This usually sells in the $4-5K range, so it doesn't even start at a bargain price.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:55:26 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »
20% isn't bad Mel, some over here are up to 24% BP.

All I will say is, when you've been collecting as long as I and some others, you will realise, it's a bit like having kids, you have No idea what or why until you get to that point.... And you will my friend.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #516 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »
there aren't that many people willing to sell their own merchandise starting at 99 cents with no reserve and being happy with how the results are regardless of what the results are

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #517 on: April 05, 2013, 09:25:45 PM »
Damn straight.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #518 on: April 05, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »
So true Rich, if I ever sold I'd want some kind of reserve...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #519 on: April 05, 2013, 09:54:22 PM »
Wow, Garth's isn't the "diamond in the rough" after all.

The fact that Paul and Matt have screamed bloody murder about others revealing this stupid auction just shows how ridiculous they're acting and how most of these smaller auctions just suck anyway.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/103759/not-a-big-deal

P.S. The South Park episode is talking about actual theft, so it's not exactly the same, and for the record, I'm just goofing with the South Park clip.  Sometimes people just have to agree to disagree.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:18:19 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2013, 06:59:57 PM »
Lookin' over results of the 04/12 Garth's auction  - sales results are what you would expect for an auction of this type with high start bids and too much paper that could be classified as low/no demand.

a few diamonds that saved the day from going red were a Double Indemnity and Rebel without a Cause - both went for 3K+.  Other then that, not much went on here.

Something I've noticed from viewing these type auctions is experts and appraisers within the antique/collectible arena have little background or understanding of how to value and price film paper within these auctions.  It's not their business model but I wonder how much more successful they could be cosigning to MPBid/emovie/HA.     

I recently attended a similar type poster auction in Indianapolis and I'll just say I walked away extremely happy - most starting bids were too 'low' and other then a small crowd bidding online, I was '1' of '2' collectors who showed up and on the floor placing bids. 

Here's complete sales results from Garths...

http://www.garths.com/asp/results.asp?salelist=1101+++&viewtype=all&displaytype=Descriptive&currencyrate=US+Dollars-1&Display2=View
Stephen Ryan

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:53 AM »
We folks in northern New York State are in for a treat this September. 
The Syracuse Scare-A-Con runs from Sept. 12-15 and the Albany Fantacon, Sept. 14-15.
There will be plenty of poster dealers at Fantacon, which is the first show they have thrown in years.
I'm not sure whether there will be any memorabilia dealers in Syracuse...

The celebrity lists for both shows continues to grow, Syracuse will be headlining Sara Karloff and Linda Blair amongst others.
Here's their list of guests: http://scareacon.com/celebrities-2/

In Albany, 160 miles east, the return of Fantacon is going to have a bit of a Night of the Living Dead reunion with John Russo (writer) and some of the stars, including Barbara and Johnny (Judith O'Dea and Russ Streiner)..."They're coming to get you, Barbara."  Guest list here: http://fantacon.com/guests.php

I'll update as things change.  More celebrities will be added.
Should be wicked good fun at both.
 cheers

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
This looks great Ted...........I wish I knew someone who was going who could pick me up autographs... eyeroll

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2013, 11:01:32 AM »
This looks great Ted...........I wish I knew someone who was going who could pick me up autographs... eyeroll

I would love to help add to the collection.
PM me with your want list.
I am planning on hitting both shows.
 cheers

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
Oh, er well, I didn't know you were going Ted.... ;)
Many Thanks,

Will talk soon... :D