Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 515460 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #475 on: April 03, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Then you maybe missing out Jeff... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #476 on: April 03, 2013, 02:32:22 PM »
The premise was not that noone else knew about the site, it was - as I posted - that Mel betrayed a certain level of expected discretion that he was well aware of.  So yes personal.  But stating or showing "look how easy it is to find" does not simply do away with Mel's actions...

I think it is more about a violation of implied confidence and trust on a poster buddy level.

These charges are false. Please stop repeating them. I already said I found out about AuctionZip.com on my own.  The facts are that (1) I asked Matt where he was finding these obscure auctions, (2) he wouldn't tell me, and (3) I figured it out on my own.  After I found it on my own, we did discuss the site and some of his specific transactions but at no time did I promise or imply that I would not reveal what I learned on my own. I have not discussed and will not discuss his particular transactions.  Matt and I have always “agreed to disagree.”  I have always said information should be reasonably shared. He thinks everything should be confidential.

In any event, AuctionZip.com is not a secret and it’s basically like Ebay. Every “live lot” is combed over by dealers and collectors and you are likely to face stiff competition on the best stuff, just as you would on Ebay.

Furthermore, AuctionZip.com is a secondary outlet for auctioneers. Most auctioneers promote their auctions separately and independently. For example, I found out about the Dewey Law Firm international poster auction through a direct promotion.  Later, I checked and saw that it was listed on AuctionZip as well.

Finally, I don’t trust these smaller auctioneers. It’s a jungle out there.  Most of the collectors reading this thread will not have the time, finances, connections, etc. to make AuctionZip.com really worth the effort.  But now at least they know about it and can try and it’s especially good for locating larger independent auctions like Garth’s.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #477 on: April 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
Matt is clearly annoyed with Mel but, as Rich expressed, this should be a private matter between the two of them. Neither have ever betrayed my confidence with regard to certain things I have revealed privately, as far as I am aware, and I have respect for both of them.

This is an open forum with the objective of sharing information on movie poster collecting. The more information that is exchanged, the better. I would credit most collectors on this forum to have enough intelligence to locate an auction notification service on the internet should they so wish. In the UK we have equivalents to Auctionzip and you can get to hear about smaller provincial auctions with posters for sale. This is not secret information and if you can be bothered to spend your time, as I do sometimes, attending these sales (it is too risky to buy without inspecting the posters - these auctioneers do not know how to describe or handle posters) it is possible to end up with some reasonable buys. However, if I factor in the time expended/opportunity-cost, it might have been cheaper to have just paid a reliable dealer a retail price.

Sometimes a poster is discussed which I already own. I can relax, unless it turns out I have a reprint. Sometimes a poster is discussed which I want or a great source is revealed which I already knew about. That can be annoying because potential demand/competition is increased. That's just my bad luck. But more often than not I get to see great posters on this forum I haven't seen before and my list of wanted items just grows longer.

Mark

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #478 on: April 03, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Is this the first thread to feature "Simultaneous Internet Fracas`s" ?   :o

Stew

Edit: Hi Ben !
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 03:28:25 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #479 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:22 PM »
I'd say that Ari, Rich, and Mel nailed it, and it's pretty sad that a few people, who consider their self-interests higher than the greater good of the hobby, have to turn so many "mid/upcoming-auctions" into these train wrecks.

Your theory about the "greater good" is severely flawed.  Everyone here has information they protect -- collector friends who are willing to sell, stashes of material, fair priced dealers, connections for Japanese/French/X/Y/Z posters, etc...  I have asked others for help in obtaining certain posters, but I would NEVER ask anyone to give up their sources.  And if I knew their sources, I would NEVER EVER even dream of posting them publicly.  Some people network for an advantage in collecting, some people travel, some people speak foreign languages, and some people scour around for deals.  They are all valid ways of finding what we want at prices we are willing to pay.  People who don't have the time or inclination to search for posters will OF COURSE like it when someone posts that info publicly, just like I would love it if T posted all his connections for choice French posters.  

Once everyone has publicly stated all of their connections, sources, tricks and tips -- then you can talk about "greater good".  

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #480 on: April 03, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
 I'd say that Ari, Rich, and Mel nailed it, and it's pretty sad that a few people, who consider their self-interests higher than the greater good of the hobby, have to turn so many "mid/upcoming-auctions" into these train wrecks.

clap

the argument for secrecy is complete and utter bullshit.
nothing is secret. If you don't like what's being announced in this thread or any other, don't read it
a forum is for sharing. period. end of story

btw.. this week there are auctions at Guernseys & Julien's. Garth's has an ad in Classic Images hitting mailboxes tomorrow and the posters are from a very well know seller (but I'm not telling you who)

now stop your bitching

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #481 on: April 03, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
Mark always has such intelligent stuff to say. especially when he cites Richie for being smart
 sm1

Matt is clearly annoyed with Mel but, as Rich expressed, this should be a private matter between the two of them. Neither have ever betrayed my confidence with regard to certain things I have revealed privately, as far as I am aware, and I have respect for both of them.

This is an open forum with the objective of sharing information on movie poster collecting. The more information that is exchanged, the better. I would credit most collectors on this forum to have enough intelligence to locate an auction notification service on the internet should they so wish. In the UK we have equivalents to Auctionzip and you can get to hear about smaller provincial auctions with posters for sale. This is not secret information and if you can be bothered to spend your time, as I do sometimes, attending these sales (it is too risky to buy without inspecting the posters - these auctioneers do not know how to describe or handle posters) it is possible to end up with some reasonable buys. However, if I factor in the time expended/opportunity-cost, it might have been cheaper to have just paid a reliable dealer a retail price.

Sometimes a poster is discussed which I already own. I can relax, unless it turns out I have a reprint. Sometimes a poster is discussed which I want or a great source is revealed which I already knew about. That can be annoying because potential demand/competition is increased. That's just my bad luck. But more often than not I get to see great posters on this forum I haven't seen before and my list of wanted items just grows longer.

Mark

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #482 on: April 03, 2013, 03:34:44 PM »
the posters are from a very well know seller (but I'm not telling you who)

eyeroll

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #483 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:03 PM »

Everyone here has information they protect

Once everyone has publicly stated all of their connections, sources, tricks and tips -- then you can talk about "greater good".  

I also agree that some things are personal that people do not want to share, and I've always said that there are exceptions to everything, including this case for the "greater good".

Regarding future/current auctions/fixed price items that are in the public domain, I disagree that such information should be squelched.  H and T agree that such information should be allowed to be shared here, and I'd say that about sums it up.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #484 on: April 03, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
Regarding future/current auctions/fixed price items that are in the public domain, I disagree that such information should be squelched.  H and T agree that such information should be allowed to be shared here, and I'd say that about sums it up.

sm1

-------

Charlie

« Reply #485 on: April 03, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
Who cares there are better things to do like find out how much I should be paying for a Thai Apocalypse Now...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,5958.msg115467.html#msg115467

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #486 on: April 03, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
I also agree that some things are personal that people do not want to share, and I've always said that there are exceptions to everything, including this case for the "greater good".

The problem with that logic is that T's French connections are also in the public domain.  All I need to do is learn French and travel there for a few years to piece them together.  But just because I *could* find out most of his connections in theory doesn't mean I'm entitled to them without putting in the leg work.  Somehow because obscure auctions *could* be found by people *if* they put in the time, they think they are entitled to know those tips and tricks without having to do the work.  

I thought Mark summarized it well... some people have more time than money, and some people have more money than time.  People who want all this stuff without doing any work are completely devaluing the folks who bust their ass with the first approach.  

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #487 on: April 03, 2013, 04:08:43 PM »
The problem with that logic is that T's French connections are also in the public domain.  All I need to do is learn French and travel there for a few years to piece them together.  But just because I *could* find out most of his connections in theory doesn't mean I'm entitled to them without putting in the leg work.  Somehow because obscure auctions *could* be found by people *if* they put in the time, they think they are entitled to know those tips and tricks without having to do the work.  

I thought Mark summarized it well... some people have more time than money, and some people have more money than time.  People who want all this stuff without doing any work are completely devaluing the folks who bust their ass with the first approach.  
+1

Stew

• Post-aholic
« Reply #488 on: April 03, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
H and T agree that such information should be allowed to be shared here, and I'd say that about sums it up.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #489 on: April 03, 2013, 04:16:11 PM »
I demand that  ANY informational thread that educates anyone be immediately removed from this site and that all future posts should just be complaints about other people buying stuff you want that you didn't know about even though the internet is an open book

I also demand that anyone who posts anything that can be construed as informative be ostracized from this forum, and while we're at it, all other forums as well. I further demand popcorn

pcorn

-------

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #490 on: April 03, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »
I demand that  ANY informational thread that educates anyone be immediately removed from this site and that all future posts should just be complaints about other people buying stuff you want that you didn't know about even though the internet is an open book

I also demand that anyone who posts anything that can be construed as informative be ostracized from this forum, and while we're at it, all other forums as well. I further demand popcorn

pcorn
Sounds good..Toffee or Butter?

Stew
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:24:42 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #491 on: April 03, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
clap

nothing is secret. If you don't like what's being announced in this thread or any other, don't read it
a forum is for sharing. period. end of story

btw.. this week there are auctions at Guernseys & Julien's. Garth's has an ad in Classic Images hitting mailboxes tomorrow and the posters are from a very well know seller (but I'm not telling you who)

now stop your bitching

Rich exactly how many Pulp Fiction one sheets are you sitting on? ;)
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #492 on: April 03, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »

And some people want the accolades for sharing that information even though they state that they themselves have no use for it!   eyeroll
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #493 on: April 03, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
and that all future posts should just be complaints about other people buying stuff you want that you didn't know about even though the internet is an open book

The thing is about other people outing things they are NOT planning to buy, that other people knew about...  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #494 on: April 03, 2013, 04:47:14 PM »
The thing is about other people outing things they are NOT planning to buy, that other people knew about...  ;)

Mmmm hmmm...that was the original 'outting auctions' argument that - surprise, surprise - also involved black hole Mel and the centre
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #495 on: April 03, 2013, 05:29:08 PM »
breakfast for the complainers

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 05:29:37 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #496 on: April 03, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
My stance is and always will be, post nothing active, not something that is .05 or $500,000 unless it is my auction  ;) Not going to bitch about it, but that's just how I feel. It is easy to not care until you see something you had your eye on hit the forum. Like I have said before, any exposure adds eyes to items which normally equals a higher price. There is no winning this argument though.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #497 on: April 03, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

People who want all this stuff without doing any work are completely devaluing the folks who bust their ass with the first approach.  

HC, I don't recall people saying they "want all this stuff" (connections, tips, etc.).  If members want to share information here that H and T approve of to talk about here, then people who are able to read it are "entitled" to see it.  It's really simple.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #498 on: April 03, 2013, 08:13:51 PM »
Neither have ever betrayed my confidence with regard to certain things I have revealed privately, as far as I am aware, and I have respect for both of them.

Well, one of them told me that you have a stash of rolled Benji one sheets.  And that you are a secret partner of emovie, but you let Bruce do all the talking.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

ozcinemagic

« Reply #499 on: April 03, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »
It's tough to get a bargain these days. Ebay is so well structured and the searches refined to a point where few if any items get overlooked.
Only those who've picked up real bargains through obscure auctions etc will know the exhilaration of getting a $350 poster for $5. I think a lot of collectors are just resigned to paying the going rate, and perhaps even resent others getting a bargain.
This is me -  :-X