Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 523411 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #450 on: April 03, 2013, 12:30:13 AM »
Rich you're missing the point entirely - Mel apparently had no knowledge of the site until Matt made him aware of it.

That isn't true. Mel did know about it. But I did tell him about a handful of deals I found through the site and I asked him not to flaunt the it if it wasn't already being discussed.  He knows where I stand regarding outing auctions and everything else you wrote was correct.  He took this very personal dig at me despite my trust and hospitality.

Sadly, I've told Mel about many things in confidence which, for one reason or another, I've decided to not share publicly.  If he starts posting them at least y'all will get to read about some of my other finds  ;D

Matt

« Reply #451 on: April 03, 2013, 12:36:33 AM »
If he starts posting them at least y'all will get to read about some of my other finds  ;D

Pfft...like we really want to know about your sci fi rock collection.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #452 on: April 03, 2013, 01:21:53 AM »
Rich you're missing the point entirely - Mel apparently had no knowledge of the site until Matt made him aware of it.

wrong Chris

I didn't miss that point at all. That's a personal issue for Matt and Mel.
the rest of the discussion about outing auctions is - as I have said many times - amongst the most ridiculous complaints I see on these forums. Or actually - this forum - because I don't see this argument anywhere else.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #453 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:35 AM »
and really.. you can't be asking for informations to be shared in one place, while complaining other informations  shouldn't be shared elsewhere

you're either for information to be shared, or you are not. You can't change your mind depending on how individual informations hurt or help you

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #454 on: April 03, 2013, 06:29:40 AM »
Matt and Charlie should be nominated for the William Shatner overacting hall of fame.

As I said before, I found AuctionZip.com totally on my own, as could anybody doing a simple search for "auction locator" or "auction finder" on Google.  It's the number one search result:

Matt and I later discussed AuctionZip.com but I certainly never agreed or implied to keep it a "secret." And why is Matt publicly proclaiming he got some of his best deals through AuctionZip? I didn't mention that.

Why explicitly reveal it now?  I'm tired of Matt and Paul jumping on anyone mentioning any auction or particular item for auction, notwithstanding Holiday's pronouncement that there are no restrictions on this forum.  They went too far this time by inappropriately intimidating another member for "revealing" a prominent MOVIE POSTER auction with ONE HUNDRED FIFTY SIX MOVIE POSTERS for auction.

And I'm sure Matt will continue to find many stellar deals through AuctionZip. It's still too much time and trouble for most collectors to deal with the smaller auctions.  Even though I've known about it for quite a while, I've rarely checked out any non-live-lot listing. Typically, I only look at the auctions with several "live lots."

Regardless, the collectors on this board and the readers of MoviePosterCollectors.com deserve to know about AuctionZip.com since it's a useful movie poster auction locator.

It's certainly not a "secret."  

It claims to have 1.6 million MONTHLY visitors and be affiliated with 25,000 auctioneers.

I've previously referenced it:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,237.msg93503.html#msg93503

All dealers in this business obviously know about it and other collectors have expressly referenced it on the movie poster boards:

In the end, AuctionZip.com is simply a useful tool, nothing more, nothing less, just like:

- Gavelsnipe.com (free sniping)

- WatchedItem.com (find number of watchers, which shows general level of interest in poster)

- Google Translator (to read foreign language poster websites and communicate with non-English speaking dealers)

P.S. Garth's Auctions needs to change its business name, hard to take it seriously:

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:04:29 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #455 on: April 03, 2013, 07:30:00 AM »
Thank you. Thank you.  Huh whats that? How do I stay so healthy and boyishly handsome?

It's simple. I drink the blood of young runaways.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #456 on: April 03, 2013, 10:55:19 AM »
Hi guys!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Charlie

« Reply #457 on: April 03, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
some baklava too.

Ooooh...  I have to be careful, I can eat myself sick on baklava...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #458 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:19 AM »
Rich this is what you posted and what I was responding to (maybe I should have quoted it earlier ;) ):

Matt, while I can appreciate your anger at Mel for what you perceive as a secret, your premise is wrong. Do you really think we don't know about auctionzip?

The premise was not that noone else knew about the site, it was - as I posted - that Mel betrayed a certain level of expected discretion that he was well aware of.  So yes personal.  But stating or showing "look how easy it is to find" does not simply do away with Mel's actions...
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #459 on: April 03, 2013, 12:28:23 PM »
I was going to chime in on this never ending saga, with some philosophical questions, such as "what is the greatest good for the greatest number of people?" (utilitarianism - Jeremy Bentham).  However, given the fact that this issue has been rehashed numerous times, and H and T have decided to allow sharing current auctions/fixed price items, it's clear that it would be futile to expect anything to change among the few people that continually whine about "outing auctions."  I'd say that Ari, Rich, and Mel nailed it, and it's pretty sad that a few people, who consider their self-interests higher than the greater good of the hobby, have to turn so many "mid/upcoming-auctions" into these train wrecks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:46:04 PM by NeoLoco »

Charlie

« Reply #460 on: April 03, 2013, 12:49:16 PM »
OK - I declare this fight over.  Neo,  is it a clear tie? 

Anyone see this auction?

I think it is more about a violation of implied confidence and trust on a poster buddy level.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #461 on: April 03, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
The problem is People keep saying for the good of the Hobby, but collecting is a solitary Hobby. It's a personal thing, do we share our posters with each other....No.

It's more than a Hobby...

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #462 on: April 03, 2013, 01:16:47 PM »
I can understand both sides of the argument, but I must say I'm glad to have found out about AuctionZip.  It will be fun to explore another site and browse around.  Remember guys and gals, at the end of the day, it's just a hobby, something fun and interesting to get lost in and reduce the stresses of life, not add to them.   

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #463 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
This hobby is about enjoying the posters and memories those give items conjure up for us.

In that regard, Ive thought about this one aspect. Let' say auction X has a poster that an APF collector has really been looking for. The poster is nothing all that rare or fancy and not of much interest to a lot of others.

So because that particular auction event is kept "under wraps" (and im not talking about posting or outing individual lots here), this one collector, who could have potentially had this long searched-for poster, will never know about it and that poster will slip thru his fingers once again.

And all because only some here were privy to that auction and/or the knowledge of a website like Auctionzip.

Yes, the hobby is a solitary one, but isnt it also about helping others find what they are seeking, too?  :-\

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #464 on: April 03, 2013, 01:36:42 PM »
The problem is People keep saying for the good of the Hobby, but collecting is a solitary Hobby. It's a personal thing, do we share our posters with each other....No.

Solitary? Maybe..or You sure?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #465 on: April 03, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »

I think it is more about a violation of implied confidence and trust on a poster buddy level.

At least Charlie can prove yet again that he is not ignorant.

Why do others continue to mix up what this particular argument/issue is really about?
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #466 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
No Jeff, that is friendship, in my book a completely different story.

Lets say, My hobby is collecting posters, you may also collect them, but as a friend you help me find something, so you would not want everyone to know just me, as what would be the point of being friends and letting everyone else know.

And just as a side note.  Lets say a Dracula Quad comes up for sale very cheap, where no one knows about it.    For the good of the hobby it would be better in my collection as I collect Quads, but if you can get it for a steal, you ain't going to tell me about it...    Solitary Hobby.

Now where we all come under the same umbrella is fakes, scams, bad dealers, etc. Yes we all should help each other with regards these, but buying is a personal thing, and sometimes your friends help you.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #467 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
This hobby is about enjoying the posters and memories those give items conjure up for us.

In that regard, Ive thought about this one aspect. Let' say auction X has a poster that an APF collector has really been looking for. The poster is nothing all that rare or fancy and not of much interest to a lot of others.

So because that particular auction event is kept "under wraps" (and im not talking about posting or outing individual lots here), this one collector, who could have potentially had this long searched-for poster, will never know about it and that poster will slip thru his fingers once again.

And all because only some here were privy to that auction and/or the knowledge of a website like Auctionzip.

Yes, the hobby is a solitary one, but isnt it also about helping others find what they are seeking, too?  :-\

Jeff I get what you are saying but this particular spat isn't about outing auctions per se...

But, as stated before, why can't the PM functionality be used to notify someone of an auction?
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #468 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:33 PM »

Why do others continue to mix up what this particular argument/issue is really about?

Chris,

There is no mixing up of arguments on my part.

I am speaking strictly from the POV of whether upcoming auction info should be publicized on APF or not, since there were initial responses to my posting of the auction info the other night. Again, i can certainly see both sides of the coin here, and why it is touchy.   ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #469 on: April 03, 2013, 02:09:37 PM »
No Jeff, that is friendship, in my book a completely different story.

Lets say, My hobby is collecting posters, you may also collect them, but as a friend you help me find something, so you would not want everyone to know just me, as what would be the point of being friends and letting everyone else know.

And just as a side note.  Lets say a Dracula Quad comes up for sale very cheap, where no one knows about it.    For the good of the hobby it would be better in my collection as I collect Quads, but if you can get it for a steal, you ain't going to tell me about it...    Solitary Hobby.

Now where we all come under the same umbrella is fakes, scams, bad dealers, etc. Yes we all should help each other with regards these, but buying is a personal thing, and sometimes your friends help you.

Paul, for a friend, or if they are someone you know, you may know many of his her collecting habits or areas of interest, so a PM about that auction or lot would make sense.

But what about for people on APF that you do not know or are not friends with?

You will not know what they collect, and the said poster example i used above, may be something that you would not ever buy to add to your collection. So you would never PM that stranger, and the poster would be missed/lost out on by him or her.

That is how I was approaching that question and example.  :)

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:10:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #470 on: April 03, 2013, 02:15:54 PM »
But Jeff someone will still buy the poster who wants it, or they will sell it on to another collector who wants it.......usually for a huge mark up if a dealer buys it... ;)  The poster will never be lost!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #471 on: April 03, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
But Jeff someone will still buy the poster who wants it, or they will sell it on to another collector who wants it.......usually for a huge mark up if a dealer buys it... ;)  The poster will never be lost!

Right Paul, but, per my example, it will be "lost" = not obtained by the person who had been on the hunt for it and really has wanted to find it, simply because they did not know it was being sold in Auction X.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #472 on: April 03, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

But what about for people on APF that you do not know or are not friends with?

Jeff, you forget the amount of people who just lurk around here, "most" of us do communicate through the PM system.

As you are not buying you don't get involved with that side of things...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #473 on: April 03, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Right Paul, but, per my example, it will be "lost" = not obtained by the person who had been on the hunt for it and really has wanted to find it, simply because they did not know it was being sold in Auction X.  ;)

There's always more than one person that wants a certain poster..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #474 on: April 03, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
There's always more than one person that wants a certain poster..

Yes, of course there is; i am not being that literal in my commentary.

And with all due respect, Paul, you have no idea about what i am or am not buying.   ;)

-Jeff