Author Topic: Upcoming movie poster events calendar  (Read 515765 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Re: Upcoming movie poster events calendar
« Reply #400 on: March 21, 2013, 10:54:55 AM »

I think it is cool that you are getting recognition in the article.  While there are some nice collector sites, you do the best job of presentation.  Your home page layout and links to various features is well done.  Obviously, your site must stand out for a Wyoming reporter to find it.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2013, 12:05:14 PM »
Here's the article - the reporter got my last name wrong.  I talked to her for 15-20 minutes and she - like any reporter - used what she liked, and some facts were mangled, so bear that in mind:

10,000 movie posters for sale March 30 at Casper theater

March 21, 2013 5:00 pm

By KRISTY GRAY Star-Tribune features editor

When Lance Madzey walks into the Movie Palace poster sale, he will know what he is looking for. Anything from George Romero or David Cronenberg or Clive Barker, all makers of good flicks. The “Naked Gun” poster “would be awesome.” The poster from “Mississippi Burning,” one of Madzey’s favorite Alan Parker movies, with the faces of Gene Hackman and Willem Dafoe glowing by the light of a burning cross. Nifty. “I need to make sure I don’t run in there and just start bowling people over,” said Madzey, film teacher at Natrona County High School and a self-described ultra-nerd for all things cinema.

Here’s what Madzey is so excited about: For the first time since new management bought Movie Palace in 1988, theaters are clearing out space, selling thousands of official movies posters to anyone who wants them, said general manager Joey Houck.

He’s not sure exactly how many because staff is still going through them. He expects more than 10,000 posters representing some 4,000 titles. They will be priced between $1 and $10.

The theater will also sell vinyl banners and larger posters called bus-shelters, but they haven’t set prices. Feel free to dicker, Houck said.

Movie posters are collectible, but, like anything else, price depends on demand in relation to supply, said Mel Huston, a collector in Washington, D.C., with more than 1,200 posters in his personal stash. Huston is administrator of Movie Poster Collectors, www.moviepostercollectors.com, a portal for poster enthusiasts and a debunker of fakes.

Newer posters — those coming, say, after the mid-1980s — were mostly mass-produced. Theaters got several copies each. They are easy to find and demand is relatively low. Posters at the Movie Palace sale all date from 1988 to 2013.

Modern posters almost certainly feature a photo illustration, making them less valuable than posters from the 1920s to the 1970s painted by hired artists. Think Princess Leia showing thigh in front of Luke Skywalker (six pack shimmering through his open shirt) in front of a floating Darth Vader head.  (They just don’t Photoshop them like that anymore.)

“I do look primarily for artistry. I actually rarely watch movies,” said Huston, who estimates that he’s seen just 25 percent of the movies that go with his posters. “You’d think most collectors would be movie fanatics, but they really aren’t. I just like the art and concept.”

That said, come to the Movie Palace sale and buy what you like, Huston suggests. Don’t go hunting for an investment. Look for posters from movies you love or movie makers you admire. If a couple of snakes wrapped around a jet is your thing, ask for the “Snakes on a Plane” poster. (Movie Palace has it.)

Also remember that several designs may be released for the same movie, so you might want one of each. And it never hurts to look and see what you find. There are always exceptions. Take the recalled “Pulp Fiction” poster. The film, released in 1994, turned Quentin Tarantino into a superstar and revitalized the career of John Travolta. The original one-sheet poster shows Uma Thurman, in her iconic black bob, stretched out on her stomach, ankles crossed behind her. She is smoking a cigarette with a pack of Lucky Strikes, a handgun and a paperback copy of “Harlot in the Heart” lying in front.

A couple of problems: Miramax didn’t have permission to use Lucky Strikes cigarettes and the “Harlot in the Heart” paperback in the poster, Huston said. Lucky Strikes threatened to sue, and Miramax ordered theaters to send back all the posters or pay a $10 fine for every poster not returned. Most theaters complied because nobody knew what a monster hit “Pulp Fiction” would become. Miramax reportedly destroyed the posters and issued new ones.  But some survived, most likely sneaked home by savvy theater employees. The “Lucky Strikes” poster, as collectors call it, comes up for sale on eBay three or four times a year, fetching between $500 and $1,000. Huston has seen some retailers selling it for $1,500. (If you think you’ve spotted one, a word of warning: Beware of fakes. This poster is particularly popular with copycats. Research before you buy.)

You probably won’t find one at the Movie Palace sale, but there’s no harm in looking. In general, posters for children’s movies will sell for $5 or more since those are more collectible. Same goes for some horror flicks and cult favorites, Houck said.

Madzey doesn’t consider himself a collector, just a film nut. He has about 50 posters — enough to plaster the walls of his home and classroom with plenty left for storage. He believes posters, like the music score, are an extension of the film and prefers painted posters that show imagination.  He’s got a list several movies long ready for when he walks into the sale: “Leviathan,” “Warlock,” “Darkman” and “Body Parts.” “Tales from the Dark Side,” “Commitments” and “People under the Stairs.” In his wildest dreams, he’ll find “Fright Night,” “one of my most favorite posters ever,” even if it is circa 1985. It’s painted, with a creepy house, a dark street and storm clouds shaped like spiked-toothed vampires.

“I’ve never heard of a movie theater doing something like this. Usually you have to work at the theater to get this kind of access,” Madzey said. “I think it’s brilliant. Whoever thought of it, it was a really great idea.”

Watch for Madzey if you go to the sale. He doesn’t want to bowl you over.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:10:31 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2013, 12:22:01 PM »
A newspaper reporter without a proofreader or an editor?
No wonder print media is dying.

Picture slideshow here: http://trib.com/news/gallery-movie-posters/collection_f1f9ee3e-927a-11e2-b3a4-0019bb2963f4.html#0

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »
A newspaper reporter without a proofreader or an editor?
No wonder print media is dying.

Picture slideshow here: http://trib.com/news/gallery-movie-posters/collection_f1f9ee3e-927a-11e2-b3a4-0019bb2963f4.html#0

Just think,that Blades of glory could be mine..

Stew

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
Y'all need to lighten up and not worry about the details.  These kinds of articles and events are good for the hobby.  Maybe a few readers of this article or buyers from this event will venture into the hobby.

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
I would love to experience something like this...

...but I have a feeling T will beat me to the door ;):

Witty signature goes here.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »
Y'all need to lighten up and not worry about the details.  These kinds of articles and events are good for the hobby.  Maybe a few readers of this article or buyers from this event will venture into the hobby.

My last comment regards the steady decline in the quality of newspaper reporting.
That 'article' is riddled with errors that should've been corrected before it saw publication.

Whether the 'article' or 'event' is 'good for the hobby' is debatable depending on whether you're a buyer or a seller.
In your case, your site got a plug, which is good for you.
But, now that she has proclaimed you a 'debunker of fakes' to the people of Casper, Wyoming, you really need to update your site with Helmut Hamm's German Apocalypse Now info as posted to MOPO. 

I'm sure Mr. Hamm wouldn't mind me quoting him:

"Heritage has sold a few originals, and when you look at one of their large images, in the bottom left border, roughly in the middle between the FSK stamp and the water drops, are two small white specks. These are apparently a printing defect, and they do not show up on the fakes. If you compare the one on ebay to any of the Heritage images, you will notice the difference. The fakes were made by someone in Germany a few years ago, and I frequently see them offered on ebay as originals."

Your role as a debunker is "good for the hobby."
Keep at it.
 cheers

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2013, 01:43:01 PM »
But, now that she has proclaimed you a 'debunker of fakes' to the people of Casper, Wyoming, you really need to update your site with Helmut Hamm's German Apocalypse Now info as posted to MOPO. 

Why? What's in it for moi?

Ahhh, I guess I'll do it....

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »
I like Ego-Man's philosophy
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
Ahhh, I guess I'll do it....

Good on you!
 cheers

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »
Good on you!
 cheers

Dude, that took me FIFTEEN MINUTES to put together:

http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Authentication_Apocalypse_Now_German.html

That's FIFTEEN MINUTES I will never get back!

But mayhaps, like Bill Murray, due to my good deeds, I will experience total consciousness when I depart this mortal coil.  So I've got that goin' for me.....

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:44 PM »
Nice job, Mel.
Hopefully your diligence will save some collector from getting duped.
 cheers

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #412 on: April 02, 2013, 01:44:15 AM »
A nice selection of items coming up later this month.

Garth's Auctioneers & Appraisers

http://www.garths.com/WebPhotos/4_12_13_Posters/4_12_13_Poster.asp

Vintage Posters & Movie Memorabilia Auction:

Friday, April 12, 2013:

Virtual salesroom auction (online only) beginning at 10:00 am

BP- 17.5%

PREVIEW TIMES:
Monday, April 1 ~ 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday, April 2 ~ 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Wednesday, April 3 ~ 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday, April 4 ~ 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Friday, April 5 ~ 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM

2097 London Road, Suite F, Delaware, OH 43015

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #413 on: April 02, 2013, 04:31:02 AM »
Why are people outing Auctions again, it's not an event, and you most likely aren't bidding on anything...!!!
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #414 on: April 02, 2013, 04:39:36 AM »
it's not an event, and you most likely aren't bidding on anything...!!!

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:39:55 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #415 on: April 02, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
Why are people outing Auctions again, it's not an event, and you most likely aren't bidding on anything...!!!

+1

Already had my lots picked out and bids calculated...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #416 on: April 02, 2013, 08:13:51 AM »
Was bidding on 3 lots myself.......... moron1     Not anymore.

Not that fake Karloff autograph though...It's a pic of Glen as the monster..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #417 on: April 02, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »
Before posting this, I looked at the first pages of this thread, and saw that this was created to share well publicized items like this, as well as exhibitions etc.

This thread is peppered with what were then other upcoming auctions, some were even described as "obscure" or  were less publicized, according to the initial posts.

Once I posted and later saw Paul's response, i went back and read even deeper into the thread and saw that there are some that feel this is "outing auctions." I'm not about doing that. I had received an email about this auction over the weekend; and yesterday, it was listed to MOPO (and i'm sure the info distributed far and wide by that auctioneer, via the net, too).

My intent was not to "out" an auction but to pass along information about another auction/event that was occurring, in the very thread for which these kinds of things was created. I did not "out" singular lots; nor would I have.

And no one has any idea whether I will be bidding or not. I haven't yet taken the time to closely look at everything being offered.

I won't be posting any other 'upcoming auction" info here, as I respect the views of those who view it that way.  ;)

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:38:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #418 on: April 02, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »
I'm glad your changing your stance on this Jeff, it is a very touchy subject. The only people who win on "outed" auctions are the sellers and people with deep pockets. Some of us less well off buyers live for a bargain, and the more who know about an auction the less likely it is.  If it's the case were it's been publicised on other forums, why is there a need to bring it up on this one?  Just incase someone missed it? which is letting more people in on it again, and even less chance of a bargain.

I must add that all bargains are not hundreds of Dollars, it may well be a $50 piece that one could win for $30, in which case it pays for posting and the dreaded customs charges.... but a few more knowing of it will push up the price. I makes a difference to us real collectors who aren't loaded. 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #419 on: April 02, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
I'm glad your changing your stance on this Jeff, it is a very touchy subject. The only people who win on "outed" auctions are the sellers and people with deep pockets. Some of us less well off buyers live for a bargain, and the more who know about an auction the less likely it is.  If it's the case were it's been publicised on other forums, why is there a need to bring it up on this one?  Just incase someone missed it? which is letting more people in on it again, and even less chance of a bargain.

I must add that all bargains are not hundreds of Dollars, it may well be a $50 piece that one could win for $30, in which case it pays for posting and the dreaded customs charges.... but a few more knowing of it will push up the price. I makes a difference to us real collectors who aren't loaded.  

My pleasure, Paul.

cheers

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:34:16 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #420 on: April 02, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »
A nice selection of items coming up later this month.

Garth's Auctioneers & Appraisers

http://www.garths.com/WebPhotos/4_12_13_Posters/4_12_13_Poster.asp

Thanks for the post, Jeff, too bad you let the shrill minority intimidate you.

There are and never have been any restrictions on posting about upcoming movie poster auctions on this forum, notwithstanding the lamentations of Matt, Paul, and a few others here.

In fact these announcements are extremely beneficial to forum members who don't have time to "scour the earth" to find them.

The Garth auction is clearly appropriate for publication in this thread because it is a large poster auction (156 posters.)

Also, it is not remotely any kind of "secret" since it has been publicized on MOPO.  

Now, since Matt and Paul have tried to intimidate others who disagree with their "cloak and dagger" thinking, it's time to reveal exactly how all the dealers and some collectors find about these less-prominent auctions.  

A while back I Googled "auction finder" and the first result is AuctionZip.com. It turns out many obscure movie poster auctions are listed on AuctionZip.com, which aggregates smaller auctions.  Type in your zip code and search for "movieposters." This is the current search result:

The Garth auction is the one with 156 lots and clearly stands out.  You can bid on the Internet on any "live lot."

Now don't worry about keeping track of this post. I've added this information to MoviePosterCollectors.com "Buying Guide" page:

And I'll be sure to post some of the more prominent poster auctions in this thread.  Sadly for Matt and Paul, I'm not easily intimidated.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:22:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Charlie

« Reply #421 on: April 02, 2013, 09:29:50 PM »
Brace yourself!

This is kind of a sucky thing to do Mel and I have no ill will towards you to start.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:30:10 PM by Charlie »

Offline Silence

• Hobbyist
« Reply #422 on: April 02, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
I didn't know about that site. I will have to look.
MICHAEL

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
I am so happy with this information, I will look now and yous will never win another item now I will be bidding. Mel, what is your postcode, cheers

Bruce

« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
There's so much bad blood here, that it may be time to go to the mattresses.