Author Topic: Poster Storage Temperature  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Starling

• Collector
Poster Storage Temperature
« on: July 01, 2021, 12:21:16 AM »
Hey all,

How concerned should I be about the temperature of the room I store my posters? I live in LA so humidity really isn't an issue, but the temp can get to low 80s for a couple hours each day. Most of my collection is linen-backed, so in theory the acid in the paper has been somewhat neutrilized. I always think of poor temperature for paper storage as attics which can reach temperatures of low to mid 100s during the summer, and would obviously be detrimental to paper, but do I need to be concerned about low 80s? The temperature in the room ranges from 70 to low 80s in the summer months. The more money I have in my collection the more I am concerned about storage...

Thanks all for your thoughts.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Poster Storage Temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 01:49:30 AM »
If you're in LA and it doesn't get hotter than low 80s, I'm guessing you live by the beach (as I do), and not Downtown or in the Valley.  In which case I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The main culprit is humidity, and we're good with that.  If it got to 100 or 110, it would be more of an issue.  But not low 80s.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 10:04:24 AM »
What T said.  Okie

If you're in LA and it doesn't get hotter than low 80s, I'm guessing you live by the beach (as I do), and not Downtown or in the Valley.  In which case I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The main culprit is humidity, and we're good with that.  If it got to 100 or 110, it would be more of an issue.  But not low 80s.

T

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 12:37:33 PM »
Humidity is more damaging than heat, but long term dry/high heat makes paper more brittle and will yellow the paper eventually.   In general the paper quality for posters is better than say newspapers and comics, but still loooong term effects would be those mentioned. The more acidic the paper the quicker the breakdown.  Now that being said, might be past your lifetime before you see the effects.  Look to the browning of old Italian posters for an example. Heat accelerates that browning.

Cool, dark and dry are the big 3 for paper storage. (and pest free).

Now after that long winded reply, 70-80 degree range, is not really going to be considered high heat :)

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I appreciate it.