Author Topic: June 2021  (Read 7631 times)

Offline redman

• Collector
June 2021
« on: June 15, 2021, 03:29:43 PM »

^Czech poster for Kdo chce zabit Jessii? (1966) aka Who Wants to Kill Jessie?
this is a bit of a rare bird, especially in this A1 size for the original release.
art by Karel Saudek who also did Cz Barbarella poster.
think he is well known but i know nothing about comics/graphic novels.
the film deserves to be better known and is worth seeking out

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Early Gainsborough studios (1935) Argentinian poster - Conrad Veidt
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »
Been buying some Mexican and Argentinian posters recently, this one stands out for me because of the UK connection:-

King of the Damned - UK Gainsborough studios 1935 - starring Conrad Veidt.

This was produced by Michael Balcon who would later be in charge of production at Ealing studios.

Regards

Ian

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
Re: June 2021
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 09:48:44 PM »
Hi everyone, it's been a bit since I've been around. I've slowed down on my movie poster collecting as I've shifted to collecting other things for now.
I've really only purchased posters when it was an opportunity I couldn't miss.

Here's one that is a rare gem. The film itself is really, really bad that you can't help but laugh at everything. Totally awesome ending song though. I was really happy when I found this one as it's such an obscure film I wasn't sure one would exist. A video store poster for the 1986 film "Roller Blade" that proudly advertises it as "Roller Blade The Video!"

I also got this one at a very good price. I've been after it since watching the film a few months back and it quickly became one of my favorites! It has an excellent soundtrack and a great cast consisting of actors and actresses from some of my other favorite films!
1984's Savage Streets. This is just one variation of three one sheets made for the film. Hoping to get my hands on the other two someday if they are offered at a decent price.

Now for my latest purchases, and probably my last for a while. The video store posters for Sorority House Massacre and Sorority House Massacre 2. I wasn't aware of the existence for the poster of the first film until it showed up on eBay and I quickly scooped it up, although I'll admit I probably paid more for it than I should have. I managed to talk down the seller from their original price, but it wasn't as much as I was hoping. As for the second film, I got really lucky with an auction and it was at a very good price. I've also had my eyes on this poster for a while and was searching daily for it!
I'm glad that I now have a complete collection of the Slumber/Sorority/Massacre video store posters! I just wish I had a nice way to display them all together, my current place it too small!

Don't think I posted about them before, but I also picked up posters for Bikini Carwash Company 1 and 2. I'll admit I watched the films based on the posters alone and I love them!
Hoping to get frames for them soon and I'll post pictures when I do!

I have one more - very exciting - poster on the way. It's like a dream come true, this one. I searched for so long and wasn't even sure it existed! Will post a picture when it gets here!

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 08:15:09 AM »
Nice posters Redman, Ian and Heather_Mason,thanks for sharing.
Remember my post on Dec 2019 about the China finally releasing Hayao Miyazaki movies on big screen and commissioned China's famous movie poster designer Huang Hai (黄海)to design the posters for the releases?
These 4 designs are from Ponyo 27x41 inches China's release which just got in today.The last picture is the artist Huang Hai at work.I am a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki and have always enjoy alternative artwork poster design for his movies releases.Hope you like them too.
1 final by angel flyover, on Flickr
2 by angel flyover, on Flickr
3 by angel flyover, on Flickr
4 by angel flyover, on Flickr
author by angel flyover, on Flickr

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »
Those Hai Miyazaki posters are wonderful. I had to nab the other ones he did in the series, some of the best art I have ever seen for modern films. Great pick up on the Ponyo set.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 09:25:23 PM »
angelflyover, thank you!
I haven't seen Ponyo in a very long time, but that is some great artwork!

So here's the very exciting poster I was talking about in my last post. It arrived today but unfortunately the seller TAPED the poster together to keep it rolled and because of this unfortunately the poster was damaged while I attempted to remove the tape. Luckily it was just the back of the poster so you can't really notice it when it is framed, but it breaks my heart that this happened.
The poster is for the late '90s film Casper Meets Wendy. It was one of my favorite films as a kid that I watched countless times over the years! I searched and searched for a long time for a poster for this film but as usual wasn't sure if one existed or not! I had to make do with a German version of the poster I found on eBay - which is slightly different from the American video poster. I was checking eBay every day and funny enough on the one day I was considering not bothering with it - thinking it wouldn't show after after such a long search - is when it popped up! I was SO HAPPY when I found this on eBay and instantly hit buy now! It's a beautiful addition to my collection and I will cherish it.

eBay won't let you leave feedback until a certain time after the item is delivered - but they are definitely getting negative feedback from me. I reached out to them about the damage and they never replied.

This morning I also got lucky with two more great finds that I just couldn't pass on. Bought them for myself as a birthday treat. Will post pictures when they arrive. :)

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:19:36 PM »
Thanks Wonka and Heather Manson.Sometimes it is frustrating to encounter sellers who do not know how to ship posters properly,or postal services handling them roughly,so I always choose reliable sellers.Thanks for your sharing Heather Manson ,the Casper meets Wendy poster certainly bring back a lot of nice memories,and reminded me how I enjoy those magical movie magic moments.

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 10:01:21 AM »
These came as a surprise.Frankly I personally think that the word art spoilt the posters.But with no character posters for so long ,I guess I should be thankful for these Cruella character posters.Along with them is one new Suicide Squad poster,All international OS.
5 by angel flyover, on Flickr
6 by angel flyover, on Flickr
1 by angel flyover, on Flickr

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
Re: Early Gainsborough studios (1935) Argentinian poster - Conrad Veidt
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 10:27:48 PM »
Your King of the Damned is so rare, Ealing!  Cool to see.  Okie
Been buying some Mexican and Argentinian posters recently, this one stands out for me because of the UK connection:-

King of the Damned - UK Gainsborough studios 1935 - starring Conrad Veidt.

This was produced by Michael Balcon who would later be in charge of production at Ealing studios.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 10:30:49 PM »
Those Hai Miyazaki posters are wonderful. I had to nab the other ones he did in the series, some of the best art I have ever seen for modern films. Great pick up on the Ponyo set.

What Wonka said, Angel!  Beautiful.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 11:28:34 PM »
I think this is a good place to post this as it is movie art related.  A couple of weekends back, I was out hunting at an antique store in Florida with my wife and daughter when I saw something that caught my eye on a poorly lit wall.  Well, I was certainly surprised to see a well done, older water color pirate framed in a degrading frame and highly acidic browning mat.  Unbelievably the water color was not faded.  The artist is the 1910s-1950s character actor Olin Howland (who was also a very good artist having his own sold out art shows etc.).  I'm no Howland expert, though a quick internet search shows Howland was in 200 or so movies including 1934's Treasure Island and this looks to be painted around then.  I removed the art out of the ancient falling apart frame. The image is 15"x22". Looks to me the image is a cross between Howland and the William V. Mong pirate Blind Pew. Would be interesting to know the 80+ year story on this painting and how it made its way from California to Florida, eh?  Okie

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 11:40:35 AM »
Nice find Okie - very cool!
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2021, 01:04:41 PM »
Okie, that is super cool as well. Great find. I would have jumped on that for sure.

I was mistaken,

Offline angelflyover

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2021, 09:02:39 PM »
This may be the earliest instance of movie concept art.Thanks for sharing Okie,an eye opener for me.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2021, 10:05:39 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Chris, Ben, and Angel!  I know I've mentioned it before, though I wish I could go on the antique, junk, and flea market hunt more often. There are still great goodies out there waiting to be found! I hope your hunts are fruitful!  Okie
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:09:26 PM by okiehawker »

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
Snagged a Ben Hur Advance poster from Heritage. Been wanting one of these for a long time!

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 10:00:35 PM »
Great pick up ^

I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 10:56:23 PM »
Nice poster!!!  Jealous.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2021, 03:35:48 PM »
Love these. Great color and art. Really catches the eye.
Nice posters Redman, Ian and Heather_Mason,thanks for sharing.
Remember my post on Dec 2019 about the China finally releasing Hayao Miyazaki movies on big screen and commissioned China's famous movie poster designer Huang Hai (黄海)to design the posters for the releases?
These 4 designs are from Ponyo 27x41 inches China's release which just got in today.The last picture is the artist Huang Hai at work.I am a big fan of Hayao Miyazaki and have always enjoy alternative artwork poster design for his movies releases.Hope you like them too.
1 final by angel flyover, on Flickr
author by angel flyover, on Flickr

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 08:44:32 PM »
Great chariot ride, Riley!  Okie

Snagged a Ben Hur Advance poster from Heritage. Been wanting one of these for a long time!

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2021, 05:35:57 PM »
I somehow keep finding myself being drawn back to posters because too many great finds pop up that I can't let go!

Here's one I recently got for 1986's Malibu Bikini Shop. I love the film and its soundtrack and just had to get the poster for myself. I've even had the pleasure of talking to the man who produced the (sadly unreleased) soundtrack for the film.
This one is for its limited theatrical run. I found the video store poster for sale months back - and it stayed up for a while - but I let it go and have been hunting it down ever since. Still have yet to track down the video release poster but at least I know it exists and I have this beauty for now!

Here's another video poster - 1981's Hell Night.
I'm not sure what to think about this one. It definitely looks, feels, and smells old. I have a theatrical poster from around the same year - '81 or '82 - that I know is authentic and has similar qualities to this one but the print itself is what throws me off. For the most part it looks fine and from a distance you wouldn't second guess it's real - but looking at it closely there are seemingly some fold lines in the artwork but the poster itself has never been folded. If it was theatrical I'd say fake  but because it's an early video release poster and I can't find any evidence of its existence outside of my own copy - I can't say for sure. Maybe the early release posters were just like this? Media was definitely the company that released the VHS though - so there's that at least!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »
Heather Mason: I think Sponge Bob could set-up house in your first poster! Crazy fun!  Okie