Author Topic: UK dealers  (Read 5382 times)

Offline BTTF85

• Beginner
UK dealers
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »
Hi all,

Pretty new to poster collecting and any advice would be much appreciated.

Has anyone bought posters from any of the following and can vouch for them? I want to ensure that I buy from someone reputable that would only sell vintage original movie posters and not reprints.

Originalvintagemovieposters.co.uk (Simon Dwyer)
artofthemovies.co.uk
fmp2000 (eBay)

Also, I’ve seen that some dealers are LAMP approved. Should I take the LAMP approval to mean that the dealer is reputable?

As mentioned, any guidance or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
J

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
Re: UK dealers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 08:30:52 AM »
Hi there J

Simon is legit, although I have not bought from him. He is reputable in my opinion. I'm sure many people on here must have had dealings with him. I've been following his site for years

Last time I contacted  him was a few weeks back, I was looking for a poster of mine, I tore my whole flat apart looking for the bloody thing. I contacted Simon about a replacement which he had. Luckily I found it few hours later, I sheepishly contacted him and apologied for wasting his time. He was polite and said it happens.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:39:08 AM by mahmudf »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:46:44 AM »
I bought a couple of large French bus shelters from FMP2000 on eBay a few years back, all was fine. I think they're in France though, not UK.

Like mahmudf, I have heard positive things about Simon, but have never bought from him. I check his site as he has nice stuff and his pricing is not too crazy for a dealer.

I've not bought from artofthemovies.co.uk. They look fine, but pricey for new stuff.

Offline BTTF85

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 10:15:18 AM »
Many thanks mahmudf & Tob for the feedback and advice, it is much appreciated. My bad with the UK typo, fmp2000 is indeed located in France. I was interested in one of the grande posters they have listed. I have contacted some of these dealers and at this stage all seem very friendly & knowledgeable.

Offline mahmudf

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »
Due to brexit its getting more difficult and  pricier to buy from EU

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 02:57:10 PM »
I've only purchased one poster from Simon Dwyer at a more than fair price - I enjoyed going over to his London studio in person to look through his posters for sale - he is entirely legitimate.

Mark

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 09:42:49 PM »
I purchased from fmp2000 before.  No problems at all, good solid packaging.

Offline Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 05:23:09 AM »
I'd add another vote for Simon Dwyer. Have bought a few things from him over the years, and found him great to deal with. His prices seem pretty reasonable, too.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 04:04:37 AM »
Yup, Simon Dwyer, me too.  Spot on.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 04:43:06 AM »
I have already bought in the past from SimonDwyer

But I admit to having stopped because of quality problem on a linenbacked poster for 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' noted as in perfect condition. But in fact, he had many retouching (and quite roughly) Unfortunately, I took a long time to send him back because of personal problems, at half price. (He resold the poster after changing the description,less flattering, and price)
Ditto with a folded poster of 'Frankenstein Meets The Space Monster' (also marked in VF condition) but with many tapes on all folds on the back.

The other folded posters were as described, VF

Now when I buy online I always ask for detailed photos (front and back)...

As fmp2000, I don't know. I looked ebay and some prices are relatively overestimated (Large French Frisson des Vampires / Shiver of the Vampires: € 800 !! while it can be found for less than € 300)
But the prices are in $ ($1000 for this poster) so certainly for American market and not French market.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 05:05:04 AM by AnthonyFR »

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 04:29:56 AM »
I own www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk and believe my.prices to be very fair.
Have a look and see if anything interests you (still have over 3000 posters to add!)

Cheers
Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline BTTF85

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »
Many thanks all for the feedback and advice. It is very much appreciated.

Marc - I’ll certainly keep an eye on your site for the new additions.

Thank you
J

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 05:01:09 AM »
I own www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk and believe my.prices to be very fair.
Have a look and see if anything interests you (still have over 3000 posters to add!)

Cheers
Marc

Hi Marc

Within those 3000 posters you still have to add, you wouldn't happen to have a Goodfellas one in amongst them would you?