Author Topic: UK (Essex) Framing Cost?  (Read 6650 times)

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
UK (Essex) Framing Cost?
« on: March 17, 2021, 05:59:11 AM »
I'm looking to display one of the posters I am purchasing (27 x 40.5, no linen back) and wanted to know how much I would be looking at to display it?

I know there are a lot of factors such as what materials to use etc.

The poster would be displayed in a room which has some sunlight but it wouldn't be direct.

What materials should I be getting?

How much would it cost in total?

Is there anywhere in the UK that you could recommend? I am based in Essex.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 06:06:51 AM by CinematicFanatic »

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Re: UK (Essex) Framing Cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2021, 08:32:23 AM »
3 possible options from cheapest to most expensive:

1) Cheap snap frame from somewhere like eBay or Amazon that let's you open the frame easily and swap your posters in and out

2) Off the shelf frame from somewhere like easyframe.co.uk where you can choose various options (e.g. frame type, mounts, glazing). When the frame is delivered, you add the poster yourself.

3) Custom frame job at 'proper' frame shop

I'd advise that at the minimum, you get UV protective glazing (whether that's glass or acrylic is up to you, but I think acrylic is preferred these days) and consider something like Tru Vue Museum acrylic/glass, which has an amazing clarity (non reflective) and UV protection, but is expensive.

If you go with option 3), make sure you pick somewhere that uses conservation framing techniques that are reversible and ensure they do not dry mount your poster (glue it to a board) - I find it is surprising how many framers seem to want to do this to a film poster.

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »
Tob,

Agree with your options. (especially UV and conservation framing)....

Currently I am researching some options myself to display large format (Argentina 29x43 ) posters on a temporary basis (rotating them). I am looking at the cheaper frames (your option 1) for this and thinking I could use 'maylar' in the frame and keep them out of direct (UV) light.

I was wondering if you or anyone else has experience with Vistaprint - 36" x 48" Poster Snap Frames - or other large format snap frames.
The posters are not expensive but I don't want to abuse them whilst displaying them appropriately.

Regards

Ian

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:01:35 AM »
Option 3, all the way.

And with all the trimmings listed...

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 07:35:33 AM »
I was wondering if you or anyone else has experience with Vistaprint - 36" x 48" Poster Snap Frames - or other large format snap frames.
The posters are not expensive but I don't want to abuse them whilst displaying them appropriately.

Hi Ian - I used to have a quad poster snap frame, but I can't remember the manufacturer unfortunately. It looked similar to the Vistaprint ones though. I got rid of it a few years ago because I have something else on that wall space, but I found the frame quite functional. A few thoughts:

- It was quite easy to open up and swap posters, although I did have to take it down from the wall to do that.
- I don't recall any damage to my posters as a result of the frame. The plastic overlay/glazing keeps the poster in place and the borders clip on top of the plastic overlay, so it didn't cause any indentations as the plastic overlay offers some protection as a barrier to the poster.
- The plastic overlay is not completely clear, but not really noticeable unless you're really close
- The plastic overlay was not UV protected on mine, so a poster I had up for a while had some fading. Maybe you can replace it with some better 'glazing' or buy some UV protective film to add onto the plastic overlay.

So overall, I quite liked it.  I wouldn't risk anything super valuable in one, but they're a cheap and cheerful way to display.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 07:36:51 AM by Tob »

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2021, 03:28:36 PM »
Just following up on my - Vistaprint - 36" x 48" Poster Snap Frames experience - which I was looking at for large Argentine posters.

Long story short Vistaprint customer service were first class and I will deal with them again but shipping these large frames proved problematic.

I ordered two frames (about $40 each after discounts/shipping/tax etc) and they both arrived with the same issue, a bend\dent in the frames.
I don't know if this size flat package can be shipped\handled without causing this damage.

One of the frames also had a severely scratched plastic cover that goes over the poster.

I managed to straighten out the other frame and although not perfect I could get one of my Argentine posters (29x43in) in it to get an idea of sizing.

I was really happy with the 'fit' and believe I could add some background paper or Mat board, as well as potentially replace the plastic covering with Maylar and these frames would be ideal for me.

Anyway, after I discussed all this with Vistaprint's customer service (including my liking of the frame itself) they gave me a complete refund for the two frames and in addition have sent me another two frames (freebies), which they hope I will find useful for my Argentine movie posters. I can't fault this company and I am looking forward to receiving the frames. I will make a post here with an update when the additional frames arrive.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:32:41 PM by ealingmovieposters »
Regards

Ian

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »
My other two Vistaprint frames arrived today, these were both in perfect order. I think it helped that they were shipped together, they seemed to support each other with no bending.

I now have three functioning Vistaprint - 36" x 48" Poster Snap Frames.

I put a UK Quad and US 1sh in the others, along with the Argentine 1sh for comparison.
I am satisfied with the overall appearance (and you can't beat the price - $0)  ;)

Regards

Ian

Offline MrDancer

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 07:26:47 AM »
Hi there,
I am also in Essex and looking to get some posters framed. Can you recommend anyone?
Thanks

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 07:23:42 AM »
I'm still looking for somebody myself.

In the meantime, I had a look at the frames on easyframe and it looks as though they come with an MDF backing?

I was under the impression that posters needed to have an "Acid Free Foam Core Board" as the backing, I can't see anywhere on their to select that.

Does it needs to have the acid free foam core backing board, and if so, is this something anyone has ever had added on to a frame with Easyframe and then put their poster in themselves?

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 04:22:38 AM »
So I have since spoken to easyframing and they have said on the customisation, you should add "convservation board" to the order, and that is the acid free board that goes inbetween your poster and the mdf backing.

I still haven't found somewhere in Essex to get framing done. Spoke to a couple of places but they are coming in close to £200 but proving difficult to get it dropped off, one place in London quoted nearly £300.

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2021, 08:19:02 AM »
Make the frame yourself. Or buy the frame cuts separately.
Buy the acid free foam board at an art store.
Buy the Plexi from a plexiglass dealer and not a framing store.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:21:31 AM by bigmike »

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
Is it best to get a metal or wood frame with movie posters?

Offline gargoyle67

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
Is it best to get a metal or wood frame with movie posters?

Depends on what aesthetic look you're looking for, I personally bought some aluminum ones that have a nice clean look from Eframe.co.uk>
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9063.0.html