Author Topic: One Sheet Purchases From Early 2000's at RicksMovie.com - Legit & Authentic?  (Read 3534 times)

Offline geebee

• Beginner
Hi everyone. I just rediscovered a collection of one-sheet movie posters in storage which I purchased mostly from ricksmovie.com back in the early '2000s. Receipts are dated 2001-2003 to be exact. Some are 'two-sided' meaning that you can see the reverse image on the back for lightboxes like a Duratran. A few have a white back, but the stock doesn't feel like typical poster paper. They were purported to be 'authentic', but after reading a website speaking to authenticity, I'm wondering if I was duped. I feel like I would have been educated and cautious back then, but in hindsight, there weren't the resources then that we have now... so a seed of doubt has been planted. Did outlets like ricksmovie.com or movieposters.net sell the real McCoy or were these some kind of knock-off or special printing like I see Suncoast did back then?

Thank you, I'm sure many of you tire from seeing these threads, but my search on the forum for ricksmovie.com yielded nothing, so I thought I'd ask. It was also 20 years ago now.... so it's a bit fuzzy and of course the site is out of business.

Again, thank you in advance for any knowledge or info you are able to share.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Hi geebee, welcome to the forum.

In addition to folk who have had experience with Ricksmovie.com, maybe you could post some photos, measurements of a couple that you're suspicious of so the members here can cast an eye on them to see what they think?

Offline geebee

• Beginner
Thanks for the warm welcome and idea to post some examples! Here are two - Kill Bill 'Advance' and Walk the Line 'Advance.'

I had these on ebay as part of a collection for a while with no interest. So, that got me wondering if there are issues with them. And that research made me crazy. I could clearly see there are so many 'retail posters' that are what I would consider 'fake' vs. a real movie one sheet from a theater.

Anyway, here are some photos. Kill Bill is just shy of 27" wide and 40" tall. I was wondering why my photos of the sword area seemed different than others I saw and then I realized that it's very reflective (duh) and picks up my black phone and things in the room as a reflection in it.

Walk the Line is a tad smaller - 26 3/4" wide and 39 3/4" tall. However, this one is printed on both sides as shown.

Thanks!

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Looking at the archived website - Ricksmovie did sell reprints (as well as originals) that were 'nearly identical' to the originals. they were certainly the same size. The two posters you imaged look OK but you mentioned some of the paper stock was dubious on others.
Like you, I don't see any references on the web that they sold reprints as originals but even the presence of these 'nearly identical' reprints would concern me and, sadly, there are many out there.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040810175403/http://www.ricksmovie.com/worl99-901_cbri0-page.html

Example listing:-

The world is not enough

1999 Affordable, high quality 27x40 reprinted poster. Nearly identical in quality to original posters, reprints are ideal for framing and decoration. However, unlike original movie posters, reprints are not likely to increase in value.
Regards

Ian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
They both look good to me.  I can't imagine they would reproduce Kill Bill with its reflective sword.  Too expensive, and not a rare poster.  Same with Walk the Line.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Agree that both Kill Bill and Walk the Line look fine.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
You're good.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline geebee

• Beginner
Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. This helps me out a ton! Stay safe!   notworthy.gif