Author Topic: A Nightmare on Elm Street UK quad....  (Read 27146 times)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street UK quad....
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2020, 01:55:31 PM »
Thats a nice way to get back in the game!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2020, 11:16:50 PM »
Yes, welcome back, Test1!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2020, 11:47:52 PM »
This is the ONLY Graham Humphreys poster I like.

Good choice.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2020, 03:53:58 AM »
Truly appreciate the kind comments guys thumbsup.gif

@jedgerley Yes, I certainly think so, this has been one of my most wanted UK Quads for a good while, but, I was just waiting (& hoping) that a rolled one would eventually come along so I had to be patient, a rolled version of this poster framed looks superb.

@Okie Thanks! Okie, nice to know your still around on the forums :)

@eatbrie Glad you like my choice T, I totally agree that it's by far Humphreys best work, on a side note I checked out your website recently and noticed it had been greatly updated since I last looked at it, you've done good work on your website mate, very easy to browse your amazing collection of posters 8)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2020, 05:31:25 AM »
John,

Great news on snagging a rolled copy.

And welcome back to the forum.

Best,
Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2020, 06:00:35 AM »
One of my favourites...and rolled too! Lovely. Congrats John.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
@eatbrie Glad you like my choice T, I totally agree that it's by far Humphreys best work, on a side note I checked out your website recently and noticed it had been greatly updated since I last looked at it, you've done good work on your website mate, very easy to browse your amazing collection of posters 8)

Thanks.  It is always a work in progress.  I haven't had much time to buy posters lately, nor have I found anything I like.  Hopefully it will pick up as the year goes by, but so far it's been pretty dry.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2020, 03:15:28 AM »
@timelessmoviemagic How's it going Marc, good to hear from you, been a long time, thanks for the welcome back to the forums.

@Tob Cheers! Tob, I'll hold my hands up and admit it was sheer luck coming across a rolled one, it's not as if I've been going out of my way to look every day or anything, far from it, I only tend to look every now & again if it comes into my mind, I think there's always a lot of luck involved for most poster collector's (right place, right time etc.) especially when they are after a particular poster in rolled condition.

@eatbrie I'm very much in the same boat T, the ANOES UK Quad is one I wanted for a good while now, but, other than that I'm very much like you in that there's no other posters that spring to mind that I want/need right now, so I know exactly what you mean when talking about a dry spell, and as you rightly say sometimes it just comes down to finding time (& money) to get going again, also with the massive collection of posters you have it must get harder & harder all the time to find something new.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2020, 10:37:16 AM »
@eatbrie I'm very much in the same boat T, the ANOES UK Quad is one I wanted for a good while now, but, other than that I'm very much like you in that there's no other posters that spring to mind that I want/need right now, so I know exactly what you mean when talking about a dry spell, and as you rightly say sometimes it just comes down to finding time (& money) to get going again, also with the massive collection of posters you have it must get harder & harder all the time to find something new.

No, don't take me wrong, there are plenty of posters I want, but I will only buy folded posters in better condition.  Bruce had a sale yesterday, there were a few good titles, but linenbacked, so I passed entirely.  HA has good titles too, but the condition is not for me.  That is really what limits my collecting these days.

T
My Personal Collection

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
@timelessmoviemagic How's it going Marc, good to hear from you, been a long time, thanks for the welcome back to the forums.

@Tob Cheers! Tob, I'll hold my hands up and admit it was sheer luck coming across a rolled one, it's not as if I've been going out of my way to look every day or anything, far from it, I only tend to look every now & again if it comes into my mind, I think there's always a lot of luck involved for most poster collector's (right place, right time etc.) especially when they are after a particular poster in rolled condition.

John, I'm great thanks mate.

The poster collecting is on the back burner for the time being. Recently bought a house to do up so all my efforts are going into that at the moment.

I'm giving myself a month off soon from renovating so hopefully there'll be some nice posters to buy during that time.

The last thing I picked up was an English door panel for Night of the City. That's the only thing I've bought in 2 months!
Best,
Marc

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
No, don't take me wrong, there are plenty of posters I want, but I will only buy folded posters in better condition.  Bruce had a sale yesterday, there were a few good titles, but linenbacked, so I passed entirely.  HA has good titles too, but the condition is not for me.  That is really what limits my collecting these days.

T

In regard to linen backed posters I'm with you all the way on this one T, I've never bought a linen backed (or any backed) poster in my life.

I've seen some online dealers actually have more of their poster stock linen backed than not which to me is just crazy, personally I always feel a linen backed poster has something nasty to hide, I'd rather buy an unbacked poster in poor condition which I'd consider an "honest poster" rather than buy a linen backed one.

I have heard that some posters are so poorly backed that a lot of the work shows up on them in a certain light, I don't know if that's true but it would not surprise me, I'm sure there are good linen backed posters out there and fair play to anyone that likes them this way, just not for me at all.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2020, 12:21:25 PM »
John, I'm great thanks mate.

The poster collecting is on the back burner for the time being. Recently bought a house to do up so all my efforts are going into that at the moment.

I'm giving myself a month off soon from renovating so hopefully there'll be some nice posters to buy during that time.

The last thing I picked up was an English door panel for Night of the City. That's the only thing I've bought in 2 months!
Best,
Marc

Glad your doing well Marc thumbsup.gif

As I said in this thread the ANOES was the first poster I'd bought in ages! myself,  I've since bought a couple of Bond posters (posted in the Jan recent buy section) but other than that it's been a quiet spell for me to, as usual it just comes down to if I spot a poster I fancy or have been after and more importantly if I can afford it at the time which will always the biggest issue.

All the best & good luck with the house mate.

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2020, 10:26:07 AM »
In regard to linen backed posters I'm with you all the way on this one T, I've never bought a linen backed (or any backed) poster in my life.

I've seen some online dealers actually have more of their poster stock linen backed than not which to me is just crazy, personally I always feel a linen backed poster has something nasty to hide, I'd rather buy an unbacked poster in poor condition which I'd consider an "honest poster" rather than buy a linen backed one.

I have heard that some posters are so poorly backed that a lot of the work shows up on them in a certain light, I don't know if that's true but it would not surprise me, I'm sure there are good linen backed posters out there and fair play to anyone that likes them this way, just not for me at all.

I try and buy un-backed but a lot of my 1940's pieces are incredibly difficult to find so I've bought backed.

I know of one dealer who sends a huge amount of their stock abroad to get backed.

So that's shipping there, getting the work done and shipping back. They've probably got some partnership going on but that's still a big chunk of cash being passed onto the buyers.

Some of the posters don't even need backing. Most of their buyers, especially new to the game are happy to have a backed poster.

Offline Test1

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
I try and buy un-backed but a lot of my 1940's pieces are incredibly difficult to find so I've bought backed.

I know of one dealer who sends a huge amount of their stock abroad to get backed.

So that's shipping there, getting the work done and shipping back. They've probably got some partnership going on but that's still a big chunk of cash being passed onto the buyers.

Some of the posters don't even need backing. Most of their buyers, especially new to the game are happy to have a backed poster.

Like I said I'd never knock anyone who buys or even likes linen backed posters (each to their own etc.) just a personal thing for me, I just don't like the idea of buying a backed poster of any kind when you can never be 100% sure how much work has been done on them, often linen backed posters have a very brief description about what work has actually been done to the poster, just don't sit well with me.

I can understand it more if your someone buying a poster in poor condition and then you decide yourself it needs backing to save/help the poster because you'd know exactly the work that has been done on it, but to buy one already linen backed, to risky for me.

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2021, 10:38:56 PM »
I'd love to own one of these someday - beautiful artwork!
Unfortunately out of my price range at the moment - these pricier ones will have to wait until I'm out of college with more stable employment!
I currently only have the video store poster for Nightmare On Elm Street but I'd love to own some of these variants...although I personally prefer Nightmare On Elm Street 2!