Author Topic: There are rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark Amsel posters?  (Read 6619 times)

Disheveledamethyst

There are rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark Amsel posters?
« on: April 23, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
Somebody is selling a rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark poster with the Amsel artwork claiming they bought it in 1986 "before all the reprints". I didn't know this poster existed rolled, and since he makes mention of reprints right in his description, naturally I am skeptical. Can anybody weigh in on this?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: There are rolled Raiders of the Lost Ark Amsel posters?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:26:49 AM »
There are rolled posters in existence for both the '81 original release and the '82 re-release. But yes, finding a genuine one is the trick.

I have both rolled, but I have no idea how to authenticate these... do any of you?  Mine measure the full 27x41 and are on thin, satin-ish stock... about what you would expect for the time.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
Look out for the 1990s restrike the fan club sold.  It lacks the NSS info at the bottom.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
Look out for the 1990s restrike the fan club sold.  It lacks the NSS info at the bottom.

I just checked the item in question. It actually has the NSS info. Now I have to convince myself I don't want this.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Buy it, Anthony.
It's one of the greatest modern-day movie posters there is (in my humble opinion, of course...)

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
I do love the poster. I even prefer it over the Struzan artwork. But I literally just got the daybill that I really love. It's hard to justify ~$200 on a poster I sort of own already. WHY DOST THOU TEMPT ME, LORD?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:18:47 PM »
Personally (and coming from someone who owns a lot of Indiana Jones posters), I would NOT buy a rolled ROTLA unless I knew its provenance, more specifically when it was acquired.  I own a few folded versions and never attempted to get a rolled one for this specific reason.  I have seen three different bootlegs of the rolled one, and two of the folded one.  Like Ted said, this is one of the most desirable and well known 80s posters and it has been heavily reproduced, by Paramount and counterfeiters.  My 2c, stick to the folded one.  And if you do get one, make sure it is 27x41in.  Again if you do get one, inspect the horizontal folds very closely to make sure you don't see a thin black line, almost invisible, right next to the folds.  Someone reproduced the folded version in the 80s and refolded it.  Except the folds don't match perfectly.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 01:30:26 AM »
I'm with Thierry.  I would go folded on this title.  I have a folded international one sheet myself.  It is not that there are not rolled examples, but the ratio of authentic to bootlegs/repros is not good.  If you really want a rolled version of this art, I would recommend a 30x40 or 40x60.  Those are sure to be real.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 09:44:06 PM »
Woah, I am gone for a few days and you guys up and go start an Indy thread on me...

Indy was the bulk of my collection and collecting interest. I say 'was' just because I have bought so much stuff since my early days of collecting, and have amassed niche collections that are bigger than what I have on Dr. Jones, but I do feel that I have a pretty solid handle on all things Indy paper, probably better than any other 'type' of poster because of the time I spent reading and tracking stuff down. It got a little bit crazy at times, to say the least. (Don't even get me started on all the versions of the Bruce Wolfe Temple of Doom style A, its a headache, and yes, I have all of them...5 versions, i think).

Any sort of restrike on the OG release and the RR release a year later is pretty easy to spot, especially in person. The early 90s zigzag issue has thicker stock with a much glossier finish, and is also cropped differently, especially in the top margin. The cut on those restrikes is much closer to the black text. Again, once you see these in person, they are easy to differentiate.  In 2008, another restrike was issued to the 'media' before Indy 4 ( gun2) was released, and are marked as such ever so small in the lower left border. The restrike on ALL the first release issue is usually more orange/red than the original issue.  Blah, blah... Again, once you see it, you know.

As for rolled issues that don't appear to be restrikes, I wouldn't necessarily feel like you have to avoid them or feel like they have to be fake. The RR can be had rolled quite easily, I know a guy near me here in Cincinnati who has probably 5-6 sealed rolls of 50 from that release in 1982 (with receipts from Paramount, all yellowed and taped to the boxes).

The first release, that is where things get tricky, but not impossible. Dave (Cinemasterpieces) will have them for auction now and again, and they pop up with Bruce and ebay a few times a year. Bottom line, it usually boils down to who you are buying from. If its a good seller like Dave or Bruce, you are getting an original, if not, you get a full refund, so you can't lose.

As Schan said, you can also opt for a 30x40 or 40x60. The colors on both the original and RR pop a bit more off that card stock than the one sheets and are much harder to find, but always rolled unless some jackass dictated otherwise at some point in time. Here is a pic of my 40x60 which was in the dining room for four years, until we repainted and redecorated. (Funny how the pic makes the wall almost look purple...weird.)

Henry Jones Jr., large and in charge (door frame in shot to see scale of this one):

I can post more pics of Indy stuff later one, got another big boy to show too.

Also, if you (or anyone) likes, I can do my best to verify an Indy piece in question before you pull the trigger...feel free to send me a PM and I would be glad to help you out.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:00:21 PM by wonka »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »
Great poster, Ben...and dislayed perfectly.  thumbup

PaddyRocker77

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 02:28:12 PM »
Hooray an expert on all things Indy! Just what I was looking for! Particularly on the Temple of Doom Wolfe art I've been going bonkers about how many there are, and some are supposedly 27 x 40 and some closer to 27 x 41. I received a stunning folded example off ebay which has the G logo and text on the bottom, the gold text really pops too, so pretty much 100% on that one! But I got another folded (thinking it was rolled) which was in much worse condition, is 27x40 and the colours pop less esp the gold text. Thinking of going for a refund! But the search for a rolled continues and all the the rolled examples I've seen are 27x40 and none of them carry the logo.......do these exist rolled?

Offline GILLZER72

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 06:34:11 AM »
Hi. New to this group as I have acquired 3 Indy posters and looking for a bit of help. Both TOD and LC are zigzag prints, but trying to find out if my Raiders ‘82 is original. It is rolled and there is nothing printed on the back or double sided. The previous owner appears to have crudely cut the top to fit in a frame so the measurements as is are 26 1/2 by 39 1/2. I have attached some photos. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »
Under the Pg-13 ratings block, In the small print I believe I see the top of the two Z's in Zig Zag.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 02:33:40 PM by jedgerley »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
Yes, for sure restrike.  Also, the color is way off.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)