Author Topic: Anthony Collection  (Read 5012 times)

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
Anthony Collection
« on: March 10, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »
Part of my collection.

I really started my collection with Hammer movies.

In fact, I was teenager when I watched on TV, by chance, the movie 'Twins of Evil' and fell 'in love' with the Collinson twins. It was much later that I started collecting posters.
First French posters, easier to find (for a French) and much more affordable. But this large format quickly bothered me because most posters remain folded in the closet.
So I started buying UK Quads, which I can present in rigid sleeves.

Here are some Hammer Quads, which I like :

Also Hammer Quad for some pretty bad movies like this great Chantrell illustration, Or other movies that deserve to be better known like Nightmare (wich copies 'Les Diaboliques') :

But I also have a few non-UK Hammer posters like these :

And particularly the medium french series illustrated by Guy Gérard Noël :

I'm also a huge fan of 50s/60s horror/sf movies, and really like Corman movies or actor Vincent Price.

I really like UK Quads in general, like these :

Also some have a special ink (DayGlo) that "glows" under a blue lamp (like these examples) :

And US posters from this era :

Paradoxically, I am quite a fan of certain movies which I find ridiculous but which I love to watch like the famous 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' but also the ridiculous monster of 'Reptilicus' or the grasshoppers of 'The Beginning of the End' (Corman has his ridiculous monsters too).
The posters look great unlike the monsters in the movies :

I stayed a very long time confined to this register and It was only very recently that I wanted to expand my cinematographic knowledge by watching films from the 30s/40s of the Hollywood golden age, but not only… For example, I did myself violence to watch 'The Sound of Music '(I admit it's not my cup of tea at all but I think it was important to watch it for my personal culture), but I found few pearls that I wish I had seen earlier, like comedies (Arsenic Old Lace) musicals (yes! like You Were Never Lovelier) etc…

And also, by taking a big interest in 'films noirs', of which I very much appreciate the treatment of the picture, the dark and dirty atmosphere, and the "femmes fatales".
I loved movies like The Asphalt Jungle, Laura, Gilda, Lady from Shangaï, Shangaï Gesture, Double Indemnity, Night and City, L'assassin habite au 21 (film noir?), Touch of Evil, To Have and Have Not, Key Largo (but not at all 'Big Sleep' sorry) and many more.
Now I would like to acquire certain iconic posters pieces from these movies.

I also own a few magazines, pressbooks, brochures, publicity manuals, and other items.

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
Re: Anthony Collection
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 12:55:21 PM »
Great posters, I really like the quad 'double bill' horror/sci-fi posters, the landscape format is ideal for these split images.
Regards

Ian

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 01:19:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum Anthony and for bombarding us with a fantastic variety of posters. I particularly like your selection of quads. The transformation of the posters with black light is quite incredible. Paul W, a member here, recently posted a selection from his collection and told us the special effect was rarely used when they were displayed. What a wasted opportunity.

Mark

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 02:22:46 PM »
I particularly like your selection of quads. The transformation of the posters with black light is quite incredible.
Mark

I too love black light posters. I have one bidder who buys 90% of the ones I auction. I guess he loves them too!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 08:40:59 PM »
Amazing stuff, Anthony!  You and I share a lot of common focus over what we collect: I also have a particular interest in early Hammer quads and French Hammer posters by Guy Gerard Noel, as well as 1950s US sci-fi/horror.  I'm posting a few of the quads in my collection that might be of interest to you since they cover a lot of the same ground.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 03:15:48 AM »
I see that we are fighting for the same Quads! ; -)

I do have a few of these Quads, but I would love to own this 1st release of Brides of Dracula (beautiful) and this Curse of the Werewolf !!
But they have become a bit overpriced for me.

Also, I would like to own the standalone Quads of The Fly (I find it very beautiful but I have never seen it on sale) and Return of the Fly and also your DB from the two Corman films.

I still miss a lot of Hammer Quads (besides the inaccessible Dracula, Mummy, Curse of Franky ...) like the DBs of Evil of Franky / Nightmare, Dracula Prince of Darkness / Plague of the Zombies, Kiss of the Vampire / Paranoiac, Shadow of the Cat / Curse Werewolf ...
But right now, I have the impression that the auctions are racing and the prices are getting extravagant ...

I think Paul Waines owns all the Horror / Scifi Quads from this era!

More Quads from the Hammer ... And a few Double-Crowns ...
(Vampire Circus and its hidden phallic forms.
Sometimes strange double programming like a dinosaur movie with a western!)

For fun, Belinsky artwork ;- )

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 05:07:12 AM »
This thread is full of gorgeous posters! Lovely. The quad for 'Legend of Hell House' is very nice, but wow, it really comes to life with the UV light.

One day, I must buy that Noël poster for Curse of the Werewolf...beautiful.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 05:31:24 AM »
I think that the medium french poster for 'Curse of the Werewolf' and 'Kiss of the Vampire' are easy to find.
however, it took me a long time to find a decent copy for 'The Mummy'.

My Curse of the Werewolf poster has a slight crease made during printing.
A collector explained to me that this often happened with this kind of printing on these fragile papers.

I bought the 'Horror of Dracula' poster folded, and I made a mistake to linenbacked it while it was in VF condition (just a small lack of paper on one border and a writing on the back that was slightly visible and that we always see even linenback)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
 I love your Plague of the Zombies and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed quads, I've been looking for these 2 myself.  I also love that House of Usher quad, but every time I've seen up for sale, the price seemed a tad high.  I really should get that one though, it's a beauty.

I'm including some other French posters for Hammer films that I have (+ one of the rare Belgium posters I own since I usually don't love that format, but I do like the unique image that was created for their Curse of Frankenstein first release). 

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Anthony, if you're interested in Italian posters of Hammer films, I have quite a few in my collection as I find them quite beautiful and sometimes the graphics and overall design are very different from the original UK posters.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 01:04:14 PM »
Arghhhh, THE large Dracula !!  notworthy.gif
I really love this one !! But it's really expensive (less than the british one, but expensive)... Recently, a French collector sold it for 5000 €

The Italian Dracula is very beautiful too ! Is it the 1st issue ?

I searched for a long time for a perfect Italian poster for 'The Vampire Lovers' like yours and then I fell back on the Argentinian poster.

I always had trouble with Italian posters because all the ones I saw were very yellowed to the folds and never know if it was a first issue or a reissue.

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 01:52:49 PM »
Yes, the large Italian Horror of Dracula is the first issue.  It's even bigger than the French poster, and is quite impressive in person.  I love that one by Noel, it's definitely the best of the French Hammer, which is why it's one of the few posters I have framed and up on my wall.  I hope you can find an affordable copy one day, it's an iconic piece.

It's true that Italian paper is often of a lesser quality than that of French posters, and tends to become quite brittle with age, and sometimes it turns a bit yellow as you observed.  It can be a bit tricky to assess first issue vs. reissues, so you should always make sure that you're getting what you're paying for before making a purchase.  Too often I see dealers and auction houses mistakenly identifying a re-issue as a first issue.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2021, 04:08:28 PM »
FYI Hammer thread: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,323.msg219722.html#msg219722

These are all great. 

I never got into the Hammer frenzy, but I do appreciate it.  I got the 8 Noëls, the Koutachys and some others US, but not enough to call myself a Hammer collector.  Maybe I should get into it.  Seeing you guys stuff certainly helps, especially those Italians.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 11:15:55 PM »
Obscenely good thread. Incredible collections!  :o

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2021, 08:30:08 PM »
Since you mentioned that you like Roger Corman, here are a few posters I have of his movies.  I particularly like those illustrated by the great Reynold Brown.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 08:08:05 AM »
Argh  faint2.gif

Yes I need some of these ones I haven't.

Beast from haunted Cave 1Sheet
Crab Monsters 1/2Sheet
Night of the Blood Beast 1Sheet
Pit Pendulum (but 1/2Sheet & 3Sheet)
The Raven 1Sheet

Here the classic British Quad for the Premature Burial

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »
Nice quad for Premature Burial, always liked that version of the poster.

I share your interest in 1950s sci-fi and horror posters, so I'm posting some of the titles in my collection.

Offline AnthonyFR

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2021, 05:05:48 PM »
You must stop that immediately because you’re killing me !  ;)

Your posters are awesome, and all I need !!!!!

Them, forbidden planet, creature (half sheet), the day the earth stood still, when world collide...

I have only the ‘small’ titles like astounding she monster, puppet people, terror from year 5000, from hell and brain eater (half sheet). I have seen 4 of these movies, which are not memorable ... apart from the monster from ´from hell it came ´ which I find ridiculously excellent

i'm a big fan of Them poster, i really hope to find it.
And the Forbidden Planet french poster is one of my greatest desires!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2021, 08:18:35 PM »
Sorry, I didn't mean to kill you, lol!  Anyway, glad to meet someone who enjoys the same genre and period than I do. I agree with you that apart from established classics like Day the Earth Stood Still, Forbidden Planet, War of the Worlds, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Them and The Incredible Shrinking Man, a lot of the sci-fi movies from that era are totally forgettable.  Regardless of how bad the films they advertise are, the posters themselves are fortunately quite memorable.

The US one-sheet for Them was actually one of the first posters I bought 14 years ago.  It's not terribly rare, so hopefully you'll come across a good copy soon.  It took me a while to find that French poster for Forbidden Planet, with art by the great Soubie, and it was on my wish list too for few years before I managed to get my hands on it.  The US one-sheet for that movie is much more common. 

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 01:28:14 PM »
ANTHONYFR....How had I NOT seen this page yet? Oh my stars---your posters are GORGEOUS!!!!  WOW!! WOW!!! W-O-W!!!! So many cool things. Bravo.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2021, 01:08:08 AM »
Most excellent poster share, Anthony!  Cool mags, too!  Okie

Online Starling

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2021, 12:26:43 PM »
SO many great posters in this thread! I need to start branching out from 1930s paper, methinks....