Author Topic: wanted: Bulk Mexican movie posters 50's and 60's of lessor quality\value  (Read 7624 times)

Offline ealingmovieposters

• Beginner
I have been buying bulk Mexican movie posters from emovieposter and wondered if any member has these kind of posters for sale/trade. I am interested in any 40/50's posters in any condition and 60/70's posters if they have 'fun' images suitable for children.

I am not interested in Horror, Sc-Fi, Santo, Westerns or the better known 'high end' posters, just the run of the mill stuff. I prefer posters of Mexican origin.

I can either pay cash (Paypal)  or trade some posters (older UK quads or vintage Mexican posters).

Regards

Ian

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Re: wanted: Bulk Mexican movie posters 50's and 60's of lessor quality\value
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 10:16:57 PM »
Where is the guy that slung a million mexican lobbys on every forum and email distro for 20 years  ;D

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 11:18:11 PM »
Not a huge fan of lobby cards, mainly posters. That said there are some I can't resist:-

Regards

Ian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 12:58:09 AM »
I have to say, I do not own a single Mexican poster.  What's the appeal, if you don't mind me asking?  Not trying to be facetious, but genuinely interested.  I don't know anything about it, even though I'm 2hrs away.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »
Where is the guy that slung a million mexican lobbys on every forum and email distro for 20 years  ;D

posterazzi   he hasn't been around for 2 years... about that time his website seems to carry on through someone else but  selling poster prints

I researched him long ago :D ...
He peed me off some years ago. I determined he lived in a pink painted house in San Diego

I have to say, I do not own a single Mexican poster.  What's the appeal, if you don't mind me asking?  Not trying to be facetious, but genuinely interested.  I don't know anything about it, even though I'm 2hrs away.

T

They look good to me! (The below image is 27" x 39")

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:06:55 AM by 50s »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 01:50:47 AM »
I’d be interested!

Mexican posters are my primary collecting area.

Most of the ones I have are pretty dear to me, but I do have some duplicates.

The 1940s and 1950s are also my main focus, and I also mostly avoid SF/horror/luchadores.

Unfortunately my life is pretty hectic right now working from home with three young kids, so I don’t have much time to go digging through the flat file to remind myself which titles I have in duplicate (yeah, I don’t have a good cataloguing system). But it’s nice to connect with another collector of Mexican paper!

As to why I collect Mexican posters, I just like the artwork!
The Mexican film industry got a lot of state support during the Golden Age of Mexican Cinema, so there are a lot of Mexican made films with unique art on the posters. It’s like it’s own little island of collecting separate from Hollywood and the European art house films and everything else. And with a few exceptions (Bunuel is one), most of the Mexican movies have remained pretty obscure to audiences outside Mexico. So there is a lot to learn and discover.

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 02:41:15 AM »

I am convinced that Mexican lobby cards reproduce if you leave them undisturbed in a drawer.

The Mexican one-sheets, on the other hand, can be quite rare (and beautiful!)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 10:25:59 AM »
As to why I collect Mexican posters, I just like the artwork!
The Mexican film industry got a lot of state support during the Golden Age of Mexican Cinema, so there are a lot of Mexican made films with unique art on the posters. It’s like it’s own little island of collecting separate from Hollywood and the European art house films and everything else. And with a few exceptions (Bunuel is one), most of the Mexican movies have remained pretty obscure to audiences outside Mexico. So there is a lot to learn and discover.

Don't take me wrong, I understand collecting Mexican posters here and there along with other international posters, I was most intrigued by wanting to collect ONLY Mexican posters.  I know nothing about them (or Mexican movies for that matter).  I know Buñuel but I consider him more an International director.  So I appreciate your answer.  It makes a lot of sense, especially if you've been exposed to these movies.  Cheers,

T
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:38:07 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 10:27:16 AM »
They look good to me! (The below image is 27" x 39")

I must agree and now I know where your Avatar is from.

T
My Personal Collection

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 10:29:58 AM »
I knew the avatar as soon as I saw it (Ninón Sevilla).

I really like that 'horizontal' AVENTURA EN RIO - poster, I have seen the vertical being sold and a half sheet (22x28) horizontal (on linen) but I am holding out for the horizontal full size (I can dream).

Also my reason for targeting Mexican posters is not only the art work but these posters are so fragile and I am trying to preserve them, especially the lower valued ones. When I got my fist tube of Mexican posters (Ebay), after I carefully took the posters out I shook the tube and 'paper dandruff' came out, it is like they are disintegrating before your eyes. So a 'sideline' hobby is preservation, mainly de-acidification and then appropriate storage. The Mexican posters are perfect for the 'wannabe' paper archivist.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 10:44:32 AM by ealingmovieposters »
Regards

Ian

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
I knew the avatar as soon as I saw it (Ninón Sevilla).

thumbsup.gif

• Beginner
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2021, 03:40:17 PM »

Steve,

I have the French 1p - 47 1/4" x 63" - version of this - Sensualidad (it is how I got to know  Ninon Sevilla  :o).
Do you know any archival paper I could get to back this size poster, I am thinking it would have to be at least 50 inches wide in a roll.
I want to patch the paper and use crayon myself, luckily the image of Ninon is fine.

Regards

Ian

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2021, 05:36:34 PM »
Hi Ian, sorry I don't know about paper backing, only linen. Watercolour pencils are good as it is reversible (can be washed off)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
I am convinced that Mexican lobby cards reproduce if you leave them undisturbed in a drawer.

This sounds like a Stephen Spielberg/Joe Dante movie........
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline movieart.com

• Collector
    • Kirby McDaniel MovieArt
Re: MEXICAN POSTERS
Where are you located?
Kirby McDaniel
Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters
P.O. Box 50292
Austin TX USA 78763-0292
www.movieart.com
posters@movieart.com

• Beginner
Kirby,

I am located in the SF Bay Area CA.

If you have bulk Mexican posters of lessor value let me know

mexicanmovieposter@gmail.com

Regards

Ian

Offline movieart.com

• Collector
    • Kirby McDaniel MovieArt
Sorry, I'm late in replying.  I get busy and forget to check this forum.  I have several on my website.  Search "mexican"  I don't know if I'm ready to do a "bulk" buy as such, but if you are interested in multiples, let me know, and I will look at it.
Kirby
Kirby McDaniel
MovieArt Original Film Posters
P.O. Box 50292
Austin TX USA 78763-0292
www.movieart.com
posters@movieart.com