Author Topic: Lamination  (Read 3740 times)

Offline nfpgasmask

• Beginner
  • Posters aren't just for dormrooms!
Lamination
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:48:15 AM »
Hi folks,

Anyone on here in northern California? I am looking for a shop that does hot lamination and board mounting of posters.  I had several prints done with this style back when I lived in the Midwest, but I cannot find a shop that does this here in the Sacramento or Bay Area.

Here is an example of what I mean. This is my Saturn 3 poster.

This process involves pressing flat and laminating the print, then adhesive mounting it to a piece of MDF.  It is a very cost effective way of mounting and displaying prints, when compared to traditional framing.

I ask because I have a collection of large format subway music posters I want to display in my shop, and I am trying to find an affordable way to preserve them. Framing 15 subway size prints will certain break the bank!

Anyone know any shops that do this in the SF area, Sacramento, San Jose areas? 

Thanks, Bart
Looking for subway size band posters from the 80s/90s

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
Re: Lamination
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 11:26:10 PM »
Hi Bart,

I expect most folks on this forum would shy away from any process that permanently mounted their posters to a hard backing.

This is generally perceived to greatly diminish the value of a poster.  It also makes it a lot less practical to transport or ship a poster.

That said, the Saturn 3 poster does look great on the wall!

I don't have any specific leads for you on lamination and mounting, but there might be alternatives that can display the poster in its original state without breaking the bank.

Plastic supply stores (TAP Plastics and similar businesses) will sell acrylic (plexiglass) cut to order.

Good art supply stores will also have foamcore backing board or even stiffer/thicker "gator" board even in 40"x60" sizes.

I can find this stuff in Seattle so I expect you could as well in Norcal.

This DIY approach wouldn't be "cheap" (maybe $100 or so for a subway size poster? but that's a guess -- it's been years since I looked at prices for that size of plexiglass). But it'd be a lot cheaper than paying for a framer to do it.

Just an alternative suggestion. Of course, they're your posters!

Offline nfpgasmask

• Beginner
  • Posters aren't just for dormrooms!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 01:20:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I understand this forum is mostly for collectors. However, despite being a collector myself, I am not doing it for investment purposes, but rather to decorate my house.  None of us will live forever, and I don't think my obscure 40x60 posters hold much value anyway, despite being pretty rare.

The hot lamination method looks fantastic with the right pieces, and is a much more cost effective way of mounting and displaying prints compared to traditional framing.  I haven't gotten any quotes recently, but when I framed my 40x60 Mad Max poster back in 2003, it was around $350.  So, given the time that has passed and the current state of the world, I bet to mount and properly frame a 40x60 print today would cost an upwards of $800.  Maybe more. 

To add to this, even when framing, I like my posters to be properly mounted on foam backer board.  This gets any creases out and general makes the print look better once framed. So the DIY methods for this size would likely still require me to have them mounted at a frame shop.  And plexi is not so cheap these days, with everyone buying it up to use as Covid-19 shields. LOL

The hot lamination method really is awesome looking, and if you are not collecting posters for resale later, it's an awesome, cost effective way of displaying prints.  I have five posters done this way and they've held up for over 15 years and still look perfect.

I was hoping that maybe someone on here knew of a place  but I guess I need to continue calling every lamination shop in a 300 miles radius. LOL

Thanks!
Looking for subway size band posters from the 80s/90s

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
Yeah, like Deke said, you won't find anyone on this forum who laminates posters.  We're also against gluing posters to foam boards and a lot of us are against linenbacking.

It's a personal preference of course and it has nothing to do with investments, at least not for me.  I don't care what my posters are worth because I won't be the one selling them.  But I will never laminate them.  To each his own, though, and I'm sure they look great.

Cheers,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)