Author Topic: Greetings from Portugal!  (Read 3730 times)

Offline ChromaticAberration

• Beginner
Greetings from Portugal!
« on: February 05, 2021, 10:02:46 AM »
Hey guys/gals!

In the midst of a pandemic I decided to revisit an old interest I had a couple of years ago (probably more than I believe to be because I am getting old!)... Movie posters!

I have done some basic research, I was already aware of the concepts of 'teasers' or 'double sided' posters, I just dug some more into the subject matter.

A few days ago I had the chance to purchase a collection, it was a rare opportunity, especially locally, so I went ahead. As expected not every poster was a drooler but I believe it will be a good jump start to my collection.

See you soon!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:07:44 PM by ChromaticAberration »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Greetings from Portugal!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 10:07:31 AM »
Welcome ChromaticAberration!

I have never bought a collection but it sounds intriguing.  Any good pieces?  Please show us if you get a chance,

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 12:24:57 PM »
I will for sure, basically because there are some posters that are very old like one from what I believe to be for "Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs" or some from oriental movies, one of them a Bruce Lee one, they are in a strange carton type with wide borders, they are rolled and do have lots of creases, condition is not the best but I have no interest in them, either I get a value estimate around the most experienced guys here and sell them, or keep them as a possible investment, we'll see.

The collection, unfortunately, was not as sweet as I was expecting. The seller both overestimated the amount of posters as well as the time period of them.
Among what I believe to be around 200 to 250 specimens, most are from the 2000's and only a couple from the 90's. I was aiming at War, Fantasy and Sci-fi but not much to talk about here, I recall "Thin Red Line", "Windtalkers", "Striptease", "Disclosure" and "Titanic" for example.

In the few coming weeks I will have to decide what to do to the ones that are framed since I have no interest in the frames themselves, they are Ikea Reslig (discontinued) and Ikea Stromby, and I plan to use low profile "click-clack" style, they are elegant, understated, light and super practical to switch posters in and out.

Also, since I can't afford to have a large collection, it would be impossible mainly due to financial reasons but logistically it would also rapidly become a nightmare I don't wish to have to deal with and with that mind my main target are 27x40's, they seem to be at the top in terms of the most common sizes and this collection already came with several ones both under and above that. My frames will all be the same size for practicality. This means I will probably also sell most of the posters who do not adhere to the 27x40" measurements.

Overall photos will come up soon :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:30:26 PM by ChromaticAberration »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:17:54 AM »
Welcome sir.

• Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 02:53:33 PM »
A sample of the modern ones:

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »
Some of the oldies:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 06:10:08 PM »
Looks great!  I like your presentation.  Easy to look at.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2021, 09:09:52 AM »
Looks great!  I like your presentation.  Easy to look at.

T

I do not know what you are referring to because those pictures are from my garage where the collection is standing in line waiting to be "processed", meaning, each poster will have to be taken out of the current frames (some have glass!) to be stored in a more compact way until I find a better, more suitable one :)

I will post a picture of how I intend to display them eventually  ;)

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 05:31:12 PM »
This is how I plan to display them:

Slim profile, clap-on frames.

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »
ChromaticAberration. Oh my stars! You've been on here for MONTHS and I am just now seeing your post. Let me also offer a welcome to APF. I do see you met Thierry right off the bat---which is a great first introduction to the site. And wow---look at you already posting your collection. Very nice. Welcome aboard and glad to have you here. Cheers!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!