Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring  (Read 5464 times)

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
The Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:00:37 PM »
I am new, go easy on me  ;D

My guesses are that this isn't legit, could someone confirm for me please?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OUYSM3E/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=avf-post-widget-21&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B00OUYSM3E

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: The Lord of the Rings Fellowship of the Ring
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 06:39:50 PM »
Don't buy posters from Amazon.  And this specific poster should be double sided.

Check Emovieposter.com future auctions.  Some modern stuff there.  If not, upcoming I'm sure.

Also, on Ebay, Dale Dilts (https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ipg=50&_ssn=ddilts399&_sop=10).  All LEGIT and MINT.  Dale is also a member of this forum and has many unlisted posters.  I would ask him directly.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 06:47:43 PM »
Agree with T. Especially about Dale, first rate seller.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 05:32:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

It may be worth pointing out, that whilst this is on Amazon, it looks like it is being sold from www.starstills.com so given the fact the poster is only listed as single sided, is it right to presume this isn't an authentic original, even though they have listed it as such?

Surprised they are allowed to get away with listing it as such if it isn't legit.

Probably correct in thinking that starstills should be avoided then?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 05:42:05 AM »
Posters can be single sided and original, but most reproductions are usually single sided, so when a poster design is available as either SS or DS (as this one is), most collectors prefer the double sided version.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 08:14:18 AM »
So the one I linked was bought for me, am I right to say it is likely not legit?

Or just the fact it is single sided meaning it could be legit, just not as desired?

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 10:39:16 AM »
So the one I linked was bought for me, am I right to say it is likely not legit?

Or just the fact it is single sided meaning it could be legit, just not as desired?

The latter. There are original single sided versions of this poster.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 11:09:27 AM »
Okay thank you!

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:31:35 PM »
I've taken some photos of my poster if someone could confirm whether this is authentic original or not?

Tried my best to get a clear a picture as possible, but the glare from my light wasn't making things easy to get the right angle, so I got as many as I could. The paper itself feels like the gloss photos you get if that makes sense? Single sided.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:55:02 AM »
There were a TON of single sided posters printed for this.  Single sided tend to get distributed for non-theatrical use and Canada for some odd reason still use a lot of single sided stuff.

Single sided on this will run you about 15.00 - 25.00. Double sided is going to run 70+ from most of us.  This one the best place to buy is from Bruce, the title lags behind the dealer market. I am guessing just so many people have it already, the market is soft there.

I sold out of the double sided I had and have not been able to restock in quite awhile. I still have plenty of single sided right now, but I sell several a week, so they wont make it through the year either.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:18:58 AM »
So just so I am clear, are you saying:

- This one I have is legit?
- It's value is £15 - £20 and not the £50 that was paid when it was bought for me?
- When you say the title lags behind the dealer market, what exactly do you mean?
- When you say the market is soft, again, what do you mean by that?
- How much do you normally sell the single sided one for? (I have this one obviously, but just curious about whether the person who bought this for my birthday has overpaid)?

Again, I am new to this hence all the questions but I just want to fully understand everything.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2021, 03:35:24 PM »
I sell the single sided at 18-22 + ship depending on the sales venue.

Bruce on emovie has been getting 18-40 on double sided ones the past several that have sold. By soft, I mean that is a low price. Most dealer websites are going to have the double sided lists for 50+ at a minimum. The last 2 or 3 I had I sold for 90.00.  The ones Bruce sold were not listed as FINE condition, so there may have been some condition issues that brought that price down. 

The one you have looks authentic to me with a quick look. 50 pounds for a single sided is very high in price.

The point I guess I am trying to make, the auction market is a good place to buy this title as auction prices are currently coming in under what fixed priced sales are normally going to be listed. at.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 10:17:42 PM »
Your poster certainly looks legit. One way to tell if the poster is original is the credits or any fine small print. All the letters should be sharp and easily read, not "soft", as in the letters looking a little blurry or not quite in focus.

If you're going to expand your collecting horizons to include some older vintage titles or different sizes, like "inserts", which are American posters measuring 14 inches wide by 36 inches tall, beware of the notorious "minty white" bootleg reprints which have been making the rounds for years. I'll let someone else tell you the whole sickening, infuriating story.

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:38 AM »
Thank you both for the feedback, it's good to know that it is legit.

Price wasn't too important on this occasion as it was bought for me as a gift, but definitely good to get an understanding for future purchases.

Clearly getting one via auction is the better value for money, I guess because I am just starting out I am a little weary that I buying a legit one as my only auction options when buying in the UK seem to be eBay, and I imagine, like you say, there has been some horror stories from on there.

For instance, I have seen a poster I want on At The Movies, which is a London store based Poster seller, however the poster is £600 when apparently it goes for around £200.

I am no rush so I obviously won't be paying £600, not that I would even if I was in a rush, but given my auction options in the UK are limited it will either be a case of purchasing the poster I want if someone on here has it, or having to buy from a dealer.

Hoping I'm able to get it at some point.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
Thank you both for the feedback, it's good to know that it is legit.

Price wasn't too important on this occasion as it was bought for me as a gift, but definitely good to get an understanding for future purchases.

Clearly getting one via auction is the better value for money, I guess because I am just starting out I am a little weary that I buying a legit one as my only auction options when buying in the UK seem to be eBay, and I imagine, like you say, there has been some horror stories from on there.

For instance, I have seen a poster I want on At The Movies, which is a London store based Poster seller, however the poster is £600 when apparently it goes for around £200.

I am no rush so I obviously won't be paying £600, not that I would even if I was in a rush, but given my auction options in the UK are limited it will either be a case of purchasing the poster I want if someone on here has it, or having to buy from a dealer.

Hoping I'm able to get it at some point.

There's a Want section on the forum somewhere. I'd post an image of the poster you are after as someone may have one here.

At the Movies, being London based, will have very high prices indeed. They need to pay the rent on their High Street shop!
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »

There's a Want section on the forum somewhere. I'd post an image of the poster you are after as someone may have one here.

At the Movies, being London based, will have very high prices indeed. They need to pay the rent on their High Street shop!

Yeah I have created a Goodfellas thread in the wanted section of the forum.

I've just posted an image in there as well  thumbsup.gif

For some reason it wouldn't allow me to put the image in the opening post on there, as I couldn't see the button to modify the opening post.

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 08:54:41 AM »
Ah sorry, my bad. I didn't realise this was about the Goodfellas poster. I thought it was about another one.

Best,
Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline CinematicFanatic

• Beginner
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »
No that's fine, it made me aware to put a picture in there.

Speak soon  thumbsup.gif