Author Topic: Why Does EMovieposter Use Masking Tape?  (Read 5507 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Why Does EMovieposter Use Masking Tape?
« on: December 31, 2020, 12:44:31 AM »
Why do they use masking tape instead of the blue painter tape to tape all their poster bags?
Of course I try to open all packages carefully, but I'm sure many people have made mistakes and masking tape is not very forgiving once it touches paper.
The blue painters tape peels away quickly and safely.
Seems like a no-brainer for good customer service and to help ensure the safety of the posters.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: Why Does EMovieposter Use Masking Tape?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 08:11:07 AM »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 02:45:27 PM »
Making tape is probably cheaper than painter's tape, and Bruce wouldn't want to raise the $3 packing charge. 

Just be more careful Crowman!

What you should be thinking about is making the hobby as green as possible.  So, re-using tubes where/when possible.  Most tubes i get from Emovie appear to be "new" tubes, which I eventually send back to them when sending consignments.  Pandemic or not, I hope those tubes are re-used and not trashed.  At the very least, they are 100% recycled.  Same goes for the plastic caps.  I sell shit on ebay and only use "used" materials and ask the buyers to recycle them.  Never had anyone complain about their item arriving in an empty box of Raisin Bran.

All good companies should have an environmental strategy in place. Maybe Bruce can share some of that info with us.  Certainly the "pay and hold" is a component I appreciate very much not just because of the cost-savings but for those reasons. 

I would pay a buck or two more for materials if i knew they were part of that bigger sustainability strategy.  This is why I stick to pre-1990 posters... way more biodegradable!
 ;D

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 02:46:50 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 04:51:18 PM »
This is why I stick to pre-1990 posters... way more biodegradable!
 ;D

And certainly no lenticulars!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 05:18:10 PM »
Making tape is probably cheaper than painter's tape, and Bruce wouldn't want to raise the $3 packing charge. 
Just be more careful Crowman!

That was my first thought also. So I checked the bulk prices at Uline (which probably isn't even the cheapest place) and the difference per 60 yards is $1.45. If you figure every package uses 1/2 yard of tape then it comes down to 1.2¢ per package. I know I would happily pay that amount, or even a full nickel not to have to worry about my posters being ruined by some wayward masking tape.

And I am careful, but of course my total packages are only a few. When you send a hundred thousand+ posters a year like Bruce does, someone is going to have an accident - better safe than sorry. Especially when safe literally means only a few pennies.

And I'm with you Vick, I regularly reuse posters whether it's using them for wrapping better posters in, sometimes as gift wrap, or just putting them in the recycling bin, we all have to do our part.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
Once we reach the summit of battling all the hurdles and difficulties (including sticky tape) in obtaining our prize, in the end, and with all we have gone through, finally holding that piece of paper up in victory is made oh so sweet

Offline dpcarlson

• Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:30:31 PM »
Yes, this is one of my pet peeves.  Years ago I contacted eMovieposter about this, and asked if they could please bend back the tape (to make a tab) for an easier release on the poster and avoid any kind of damage with vintage posters.  If I remember their reply correctly, they stated that with the volume of posters they ship out - they do not have the time to bend the tape back.

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:34:19 PM »
i have no idea what this gripe is about??
complaining about EMP packaging is insane
any proof of idiots damaging posters??
i 100% do not get this. don't you have scissors?

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »
it's not the damage on posters I mind. Just be careful when unpacking. However the masking tape makes it impossible to re-use the plastic, which i find is a waste.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »
Why do they use masking tape instead of the blue painter tape to tape all their poster bags?
Of course I try to open all packages carefully, but I'm sure many people have made mistakes and masking tape is not very forgiving once it touches paper.
The blue painters tape peels away quickly and safely.
Seems like a no-brainer for good customer service and to help ensure the safety of the posters.

Do you get a $$ commission on these type of posts?

Why did heritage literally tape my Terminator quad to the cardboard backing (later resulting in surface loss)? They could have put it in a plastic sleeve like EMP and all would have been well. I've never once had an issue with EMP packaging. Sometimes I just leave them taped to the boards and store them that way. Best way to remove is to slice open with an exacto; plastic is plenty thick to avoid a nick with apparently unsure hands.

Note: The packing for Heritage photo auctions winnings have been top notch with both the photo being wrapped in acid free paper, inside a sleeve, taped down to cardboard with two to three additional cardboard layers on each side. Huge difference in customer treatment between fine art sales and rebel movie poster sales.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 06:57:59 AM »
I've never had a problem with packing from either entity.

Of course it probably helps that I don't try to open the packages, blind folded, wearing oven gloves and while swimming in a vat of burning oil.

But, yunno, that's just me.

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question...  eyeroll

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 12:00:19 PM »
Death, taxes, Crowzilla finding any excuse to attack Bruce/EMP.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 02:59:16 PM »
Death, taxes, Crowzilla finding any excuse to attack Bruce/EMP.

Really? Asking a question is attacking?  eyeroll
I think the last attack I did was on Heritage for selling a fake autograph, or perhaps on Ewbanks a while back.
I even encouraged Monster recently NOT to bid with Heritage and wait for a cheaper copy of a poster from Bruce, but whatever.

As Vick and Mondo have noted, using the masking tape isn't very green and pretty much ensures the bag can't be reused, not to mention any mistake can easily cause permanent damage. I was just asking why, when a safer, greener option seems like it might be a good substitute.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 01:09:21 AM »
Have you sent them an email and asked?  I bet they would tell you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 02:47:24 PM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery