Author Topic: Year End Report  (Read 4056 times)

Offline BruceH

• Hoarder
    • eMoviePoster.com
Year End Report
« on: December 27, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
At the start of 2020 I made a momentous decision. I would cut the number of auctions my company (eMoviePoster.com) runs in HALF, guaranteeing it would also cut our sales in half.

But I saw it as a worthwhile trade-off, because it meant I would work half as much, and could take LOTS of vacations!

I trust you see where this is heading! The pandemic hit, and there went my vacations. And then everyone started consigning TONS of great stuff (maybe they feared I was about to retire?).

So I started working harder and harder processing all that stuff, and now the year is over, and it is fair to say I NEVER worked so hard in my entire life.

And I DID run half as many auctions, but my sales not only did NOT go down by half, but instead we set a new all-time yearly sales record (see the chart HERE: https://www.emovieposter.com/sales/postersales.php).

So NEXT year I want to cut the number of auctions in half yet again, in the hopes I can set another new record. Or not!
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 2,500 to 4,000 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,914,280 to date from over 3,192 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Year End Report
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 04:49:11 AM »
At the start of 2020 I made a momentous decision. I would cut the number of auctions my company (eMoviePoster.com) runs in HALF, guaranteeing it would also cut our sales in half.

Congratulations Bruce! I think I was one of the first to say a year ago that it would be good for the hobby and everyone would benefit. When you stop trying to race to the bottom, things tend to come out more on top. Your just completed major was the first in recent memory where I thought it actually looked like a major and not a page or two of better items balanced by the $20 and under filler.

Two quick questions - 1) did you ever ask your consignor what the origin of all the recent Egyptian posters was, and 2) If the Son of Frankenstein 3-sheet was a case of shill bidding, why is it showing as a sold item in your archive? Didn't it only sell for 20% of the actual price? and are there any other similar items in the archive that need to be removed?
Ok that was three questions, but thanks for your time and best of luck in the coming year.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 11:56:07 AM »
This is fantastic, Bruce!!!  Congrats! 

I initially thought that collectors would spend less during the pandemic, save their money for better days (should those days ever come again), but it seems it's been quite the opposite.  I guess collectors need to park their money somewhere, be it fine art or pop art.  Ebay has been dead for months, no new material, no old one either, lots of sellers stopped their operations, so you and Grey have been pretty much the only safe haven for collectors.  Add to that a big Mondo sale, which you could reciprocate on a yearly basis, and you come out a winner.  So grats again.

I know you cut your sale days in half but you also doubled the amount of stuff that you sell on the remaining days (it takes so long to go thru them now), so I'm guessing you're still selling the same amount of material.  Am I right?  Just better stuff, I guess.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 12:48:50 PM »
So NEXT year I want to cut the number of auctions in half yet again, in the hopes I can set another new record. Or not!
:-\ :'(

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
Yes, well done Bruce. It has been a pleasure to participate in your auctions these last 25 years although I seem to be less successful these days. An annual Mondo auction sounds a great idea now you have a mailing list for print collectors no other auction house has.

Mark

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:47:13 PM »
I second everyone congratulating you Bruce! I always have an incredible experience when I buy with you, every single time. Here's to 20 more years  :)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 12:21:03 AM »
Congratulations, Bruce!  Looking forward to hopefully seeing you later this year.  Okie

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 06:38:16 AM »
Congratulations Bruce!  Happy to hear this  thumbsup.gif!!