Home Theater & Entertainment > General Discussion

Upgrades??

(1/2) > >>

ddilts399:
I am swapping the Epson faux 4k for a JVC 4k next week, I think I am about to have a power supply failure #2 in the 5040, had a couple of episodes of having to power cycle the projector to get it on.

I really am like the Sanford and Son/Hillbilly theater, but going to hang the triple black velvet stuff on the ceiling in the theater half which is currently a 7' high white ugly light reflector. Hoping to gain major contrast for the effort. I know my wife is in this house for the long haul so have to make do with the limitations at hand!

Anyone else swapping out pieces? Sounds like HDMI 2.1 is a bit of a fuster cluck right now.

jpicken:
I just bought a new LG OLED55CXPUA. It doesn't suck.

Some of the streaming services like Netflix, Disney, HBOMax and Apple have 4K streams with Dolby Atmos. I still don't have an Atmos setup, but there might be enough content to consider it now. The 4K sure looks pretty when available. LG doesn't have an HBOMax app or Criterion app yet. Hopefully, they will figure that out soon.

ddilts399:
First 36"x48" ceiling panel made today. Not a project to do with your spouse  :)

jpicken:
How far along are the panels? Notice any difference for your efforts?

kovacs01:
I "upgraded" my projector to a 5050UB a little over a year ago.  I put upgrade in quotes because for all but 4k, I am not sure it is a picture upgrade over the LG I had.  That said, I also do not think it is worse with HD/SD sources either.  It definitely has some more gucci features and automates the setup and dial in process much better.  And the black levels are better; although, I am not sure how much of that was that the other one was just getting old (it was on its 3rd bulb or about 10k hours).

I also upgraded the amp on the SVS PB-13 ultra when the original one started failing.  It had a light clicking at about twice per second that continued even with the source disconnected.  I called tham and they said it was out of warranty (and they no longer make that sub), but they would send me the newest amp upgrade for the low low price of shipping only. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version