Author Topic: Return of the Jedi Yamakatsu Starfall Counterfeits  (Read 3701 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Return of the Jedi Yamakatsu Starfall Counterfeits
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:46:51 PM »
Same post I had made in the Stsr Wars section.

Many wonder if or when they would appear, turns out they are here now.

The attached images are part of something I have been putting together for quite some time to help identify not only Star Wars posters in general but counterfeits from originals. Rather than wait until I finish the site I thought this one should be shared now since it is such a large purchase and grail piece for so many collectors.

The fake is extremely convincing from images, nearly undetectable really. When they are compared in hand though the differences are clear. So far the ones I have found or heard of have come out of Japan via online auctions there. The one used for comparison here is from a seller using the ID atomo_disney.

The paper is too white and has a slightly higher gloss on the front than the original and the back which should be more of a matt is the same gloss as the front.
The printing is made from either a very high res photo or a full size scan. You can tell that the one is printed using an inkjet printer vs the offset printing used on the original. The printing is also slightly fuzzy leading me to think this is a photograph and not a scan.

I will add more details in time but wanted to get some of the information out now so others can watch out for them.

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Return of the Jedi Yamakatsu Starfall Counterfeits
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »
Nicely done!  A great reference
Chris

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Yep, appreciate your efforts, Mike. Very clear and easy to follow, so thank you. I nervously checked mine after seeing your post and was relieved that it looks good. I hope we don’t see too many of the fake appearing.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 06:54:48 PM »
Hahaha I also checked mine.  All good :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »
The credits at the bottom do seem pretty obvious side by side like that.  Also way more purple shade behind R2D2 and C3PO.  The real poster has blue and orange there, whereas blue blends into purple on the fake.  Must've been a printing thing.  eyeroll

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:33:48 PM by Crazy Vick »