Author Topic: The Witches - Black or White?  (Read 5836 times)

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
The Witches - Black or White?
« on: December 05, 2020, 10:32:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/Zq3kIWLz04k

How could they do this? One of the classic tales of all time has been wrenched out of my childhood and now has been re-imagined for a different kind of audience that doesn't include me. I'm not black. How am I supposed to relate to a black boy from Alabama in the 1960's? I know many will - and good for them but I wouldn't dream of remaking The Color Purple with Emma Stone in the lead (even though I think she's as plain as Celie). What was Robert Zemeckis thinking? The boy in Roald Dahl's story is English with partial Norwegian ancestry. Dahl was born in Wales to Norwegian parents. An African American didn't create The Witches. It's not their story - just like Beloved and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings isn't mine. Now they own it and Dreamgirls. It's not appropriate that Dreamgirls be remade with a white cast so now nothing belongs to me. I am stateless because political correctness only works one way.
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline redman

• Collector
Re: The Witches - Black or White?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 06:09:20 PM »
^embarassing. in the UK i have found, in general, that people whining about political correctness are thick as shit and/or gammons/brexiters/fatLIARborisvoters.etc
transposing this across the pond, that makes you a MAGAclown/QAnoner type?

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 06:43:28 PM »
And just wait until you see what happened to the story of Alexander Hamilton!
/s

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 09:37:50 PM »
https://youtu.be/8Ms0Fan3rog

Dekie - Well, he was involved in blackmail so at least he was inclusive!

Lehtmahne - What's with the black cloud? Are you Spanish? I mean noh norties but I can't be the only one who feels this way. Otherwise why are all  The Witches trailers currently playing in Australia neglecting to show the black boy? Instead, the focus is on a fat, white Bruno Jenkins and of course the try-hard Hathaway who has about as much sense of humour about herself as a set of steak knives. So earnest... Why wasn't Bruno played by a black boy? Because it's politically correct to be fat and stupid if you're white. Double standards, Lehteher...
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...